Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wanting to mount gauges, where to put them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to mount gauges, where to put them?

Well, I'm getting ready to install some gauges. The car is a daily driven gas mileage/reliability vehicle with a few goodies. I decided to install a voltmeter, oil pressure, and vac/boost gauge and use the stock gauge cluster to keep an eye on the other things. I've already got the fuel pressure gauge on the fuel filter too. No need for AFR, EGT, or oil temp gauges as there's no FI or tuning here. 3 gauges listed above are simply for testing and maintenance purposes. I plan on using Blox's 52mm gauges as I really like the price and style.

Now, seeing as how I want to run 3 gauges, I was going to do the 3 gauge a-pillar mount. This seems to be the most practical way as it keeps the gauges within perfect sight. The only problem is that a lot of people say this attracts attention to steal stuff from your car. I'm not too worried about this as the car is in a garage at night time and during the day is either at college classes or in the hospital parking ramp.

What do you guys think I should do?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wanting to mount gauges, where to put them?

C'mon, someone has to have some comments on this. I know that there was a thread with some pictures, but no actual info about them. What are your guys' thoughts?
Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get a pillar, and get a security system, you'll need one in the end after you have a lot done to your car.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about something like this: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...p_image001.jpg
Old 02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used on my turbo DD a DIN-sized gauge bezel for 3 I-don't-know-what-size gauges. It is a 92 Civic, but the stereo corners are rounder than most. All it was was a bit of aluminum with some clips. It was out of my way, but I could still easily see them. And to be more helpful, I have no idea where I got it from...
Old 02-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In this car I won't be deleting the radio or climate control, so those two areas can't be used. I know some people put them down where the cigarette lighter is, but unfortunately they're not very visible down there. The only other things I could think of are using the different cluster surround to hold two gauges or mounting them up on top of the dash. The only thing I don't like about mounting them on the dash is I don't want to drill holes or put sticky double sided tape on and make the dash sticky. I'm thinking I may just end up sticking with the a-pillar mount...
Old 02-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone know who makes a quality 3 gauge a-pillar mount?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put my radio in the optional console for the 92-95 Civics. I didn't delete the radio or climate control. No air in a daily? Oh god...

I did get a pillar mount, found a decent one on ebay. Autometer makes some pretty good stuff as well.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to "Quad-Pod.com"! He makes quality parts man. That is what I did in my car. Looks like a stock piece!

Last edited by vtechjunkie; 07-12-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I did some more looking on this.

I checked out the Autometer a-pillar mounts. They are nice, but the problem is they only come in black and I need light gray to match the interior. The pillars in the car are light gray, and the black won't blend in very well. Also, it only cames as the part that screws onto the stock pillar. I would rather it be the entire piece, not just the screw in panel. I also checked out Quad-Pod.com. Unfortunately they don't have a 3-pillar setup listed on the website yet.

As someone said above they got a decent one off eBay. I decided to check here and came up with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIGHT...ht_3410wt_1253

I know it's made by Glow Shift which is generally frowned upon, but it's light gray to match. Also, it's the entire pillar piece, not just the screw-in panel. It's 52mm like I wanted and it's got the 3 gauge pods. Probably the best part is that it's 33 dollars shipped. Most likely I will go with this.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i changed my din head unit out to the option above the cupholder (96 ex) and then i sourced a peice of fiberglass that is DIN-size and cut 3 gauge holes. and then i'm thinking about adding two small blue LEDs behind the plexiglass to give an interesting light behind the gauges.