Wanting to get new speakers for my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to get new speakers for my car

I have a 1999 honda civic ek and i was wanting to get new speakers,
Will something like this work? They'e fusion 6"2 way speakers
What does the 2 way even mean? is one speaker for the back of my can and one the front?
How do i install them, do i have to just cut the wire and connect it to the new one? Thanks for all replies as you can tell im a newbie
Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Wanting to get new speakers for my car

2 way means they have a woofer (normal speaker) and a tweeter. Most cheap speakers will be 2 way integrated, with the tweeter mounted in the middle of the cone (like the ones you pictured), whereas most quality speakers will be "true" 2 way, with a separated tweeter and a small box that separates the frequencies between the woofer and tweeter.

If you want to figure out what will natively fit in your door cars, Crutchfield has a great speaker finder tool. Tell it what car you have, and it'll tell you what speakers fit. As for the wiring, you shouldn't need to cut the OEM wires - just remove the spade connector from the OEM speaker, and reattach it to the new speaker. That being said, speakers aren't the only part of the equation. First, you need to make sure the power handling of the speaker is within the power output of your source (either the head unit you're using, or the amp, if you have one). Underpowering a speaker can blow it just as fast as overpowering it can. Once you've addressed that, you need to address the system as a whole. Your music will only sound as good as the lowest quality component, which after age will probably be your wiring.

You should probably check the AV/Security section - you should find some good information there.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
2 way means they have a woofer (normal speaker) and a tweeter. Most cheap speakers will be 2 way integrated, with the tweeter mounted in the middle of the cone (like the ones you pictured), whereas most quality speakers will be "true" 2 way, with a separated tweeter and a small box that separates the frequencies between the woofer and tweeter.

If you want to figure out what will natively fit in your door cars, Crutchfield has a great speaker finder tool. Tell it what car you have, and it'll tell you what speakers fit. As for the wiring, you shouldn't need to cut the OEM wires - just remove the spade connector from the OEM speaker, and reattach it to the new speaker. That being said, speakers aren't the only part of the equation. First, you need to make sure the power handling of the speaker is within the power output of your source (either the head unit you're using, or the amp, if you have one). Underpowering a speaker can blow it just as fast as overpowering it can. Once you've addressed that, you need to address the system as a whole. Your music will only sound as good as the lowest quality component, which after age will probably be your wiring.

You should probably check the AV/Security section - you should find some good information there.
So what do you suggest doing? jus measured and my speaker is 6' and there is no little component speaker anywhere in the front of my car
I don't have a sub nor an amp and this is my head unit

On my head unit it says 52Wx4

Last edited by Roryz; 05-10-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: 52x4w
Old 05-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just called up my local super cheap auto and the fella said it's pretty simple, I know what speakers i need now looking into an amp for a sub i already have in a box already
It's a vega 12 inch not sure how many W's ect anyone know of these subs?
Old 05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got some pioneer speakers but in my car there is a connecter, I know i have to cut the wires and connect them to the new speakers but does it matter which wire i connect to the new speakers like positive and negative?
on the speaker there is a big side and a little side which the wires that time with it are already prepped for connection (to the speaker)
Sorry if this is confusing no idea how to word it
Old 05-10-2014, 09:50 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your head unit says 52Wx4, that means it has four 52 watt channels, and you want to run speakers in the 45 to 60 watt range. It might be super simple, or it might not be. Exactly what model is your head unit? Even better, can you post a picture of the plugs on the back? If you're going to upgrade the speakers and head unit, not upgrading the wiring would be quite frankly stupid. Good wire is relatively cheap, and extremely easy to run. Yes, positive and negative wiring does matter. If you wire them backwards, they'll fire backwards, and they won't sound right. The bigger wire is the positive wire, IIRC.

Also, for future reference, you can click the "edit post" button rather than posting two and three times in a row. Double and triple posting is generally considered bad forum etiquette, regardless of what forum you're on.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the speaker isnt too thick it may interfere with your window rolling down all the way. +/- does matter as long as long as they are all connected the same way (use a multimeter if you are concerned) or else they will cancel each other out and it will be really quite (also what NotARacist said can be true). I dont know how/what type your current speakers are but at times Ive seen a good amplifier on stock speakers do better than nice speakers on a random head unit but thats with subwoofers and other things in the mix.

Anyway my only help is the first thing I said.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turtlegrip
Make sure the speaker isnt too thick it may interfere with your window rolling down all the way. +/- does matter as long as long as they are all connected the same way (use a multimeter if you are concerned) or else they will cancel each other out and it will be really quite (also what NotARacist said can be true). I dont know how/what type your current speakers are but at times Ive seen a good amplifier on stock speakers do better than nice speakers on a random head unit but thats with subwoofers and other things in the mix.

Anyway my only help is the first thing I said.
Thanks mate got the positive/negative worked out going to install the speakers next week when i get a crimper/connectors
Thanks but (I don't got amp/sub)