Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

want rotors instead of drums

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want rotors instead of drums

Will the rear disc setup of a 93 integra bolt up in my EG hatch?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: want rotors instead of drums

...use the search bar... I have been using this forum for over a year for my car and just recently had to join to ask one question. look up rear disc brake conversion and you will get all the info you could need.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^THIS GUY IS RIGHT^^^^

However, I'm 95% certain the old teg stuff will work, but I think I've found a better solution that will cost you about the same in the end.

I'm still working out exactly what parts to use, because I'm getting ready to do this on mine, so if I get something wrong, don't shoot me. Scarebird sells a disk brake bracket that lets you bolt calipers onto your drum spindles. It's like $85.

You remove all the drum guts from your spindles, then bolt the bracket on the back. From there, you can run EP3 calipers and rotors, which I believe are the best OEM rear disc setup you can get. Or, alternatively, you can run 5th gen prelude calipers, which I think are the same part number only swapped upside down and backwards.

...well... it depends on your perspective anyway... on a prelude they're swapped left to right and upside down from where they are on a civic, but they're the same part number. I was shocked when I found a set at my local pick-n-pull and they were the same part number only backwards. They charged me $20 for them.

So, you pay $85 for the scarebird bracket, find some junkyard calipers for $20, buy new discs and pads for like $50, and you're at about $155, which is cheaper than you can find a disc swap for these days.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM

Well the reason i ask is because i have the integra. Its my old car, im just not driving it anymore because i got hit head on and its giving me too many problems. So i got this little hatchback, im going to switch some parts over....thanks for all the info though
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see no benefit of going with discs over drums in the back.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get the pop valve and use the brake boost and MC from that DA you have. it helps a crap load more. i did that. and my rear disc setup cost 100...(i dont live near the coast of expensiveness)
Old 06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by p nut
I see no benefit of going with discs over drums in the back.
even if u auto-x?, cause this was suggested to me at our last meet. i dont want discs though...
Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1love
even if u auto-x?, cause this was suggested to me at our last meet. i dont want discs though...
Yes, even auto-x. I doubt you will scrub any time by going with discs in the rear. IIRC, there are a few Honda Challenge Civic's still running drums. Drums are lighter anyway.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:28 PM

well i have the drilled and slotted to keep them cool, and brake jobs are so much easier
Old 06-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IIRC, there are a few Honda Challenge Civic's still running drums. Drums are lighter anyway.
i know that much already... i just use the e-brake when cornering.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luvmybseries
well i have the drilled and slotted to keep them cool, and brake jobs are so much easier
Drilled and slotted do NOTHING for cooling.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/why-blank-rotors-better-than-cross-drilled-slotted-1437513/
Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luvmybseries
Old 06-18-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm not Rick!

they have sweetness factor though...i had drilled and slotted and they didnt make any dif at all
Old 06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rick_rabies
they have sweetness factor though...i had drilled and slotted and they didnt make any dif at all
Yup, and THAT is why huge wings, crappy HID's, gigantic exhausts became popular. Big style points and zero performance.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm not Rick!

Yup, and THAT is why huge wings, crappy HID's, gigantic exhausts became popular. Big style points and zero performance.
unfortunately yes your right
Old 06-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Drilled and slotted do NOTHING for cooling.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1437513
Im just saying, i have them so i want to put them to use
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have them just swap em, free disc brake conversion doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96DelSol
If you have them just swap em, free disc brake conversion doesn't hurt anyone.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:16 PM
New User

I dont think tha goes on a eg. Why dont you put 99-00 civic si, or 94-01 integra brakes on it? They bolt right up
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MHDesigns
...use the search bar... I have been using this forum for over a year for my car and just recently had to join to ask one question. look up rear disc brake conversion and you will get all the info you could need.
your join date says june 2009.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
However, I'm 95% certain the old teg stuff will work, but I think I've found a better solution that will cost you about the same in the end.

I'm still working out exactly what parts to use, because I'm getting ready to do this on mine, so if I get something wrong, don't shoot me. Scarebird sells a disk brake bracket that lets you bolt calipers onto your drum spindles. It's like $85.

You remove all the drum guts from your spindles, then bolt the bracket on the back. From there, you can run EP3 calipers and rotors, which I believe are the best OEM rear disc setup you can get. Or, alternatively, you can run 5th gen prelude calipers, which I think are the same part number only swapped upside down and backwards.

...well... it depends on your perspective anyway... on a prelude they're swapped left to right and upside down from where they are on a civic, but they're the same part number. I was shocked when I found a set at my local pick-n-pull and they were the same part number only backwards. They charged me $20 for them.

So, you pay $85 for the scarebird bracket, find some junkyard calipers for $20, buy new discs and pads for like $50, and you're at about $155, which is cheaper than you can find a disc swap for these days.
Or you could do it the right way. Spending more money is usually worth it to when dealing with parts as important as brakes.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cookiegsr
like I said "using". there is a write up for almost anything you can do to your car somewhere on here. I just searched for the longest time without joining. There's not too much that hasn't been covered.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get either slotted or solid. Drilled does brake better but doesn't last as long as the other two. When it comes down to lifetime over breaking the slotted or solid lasts longer and offer enough braking power. The drilled only offers slightly better breaking (since Honda's don't produce enough power to take full effect of them) so you might as well go with the ones that will last long and brake just fine.

Slotted or solid, its up to you.

P.S. Drilled does cool better, someone said that when you brake the holes are covered by the breaks.... what are you locking up when you break? Because if you a breaking correctly the car slows efficiently without locking the breaks, meaning as the rotors turn the holes then cool the rotors. When rotors get to hot they can glaze and warp, that's why slotted and drilled rotors were invented.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej1love
i know that much already... i just use the e-brake when cornering.
You're doing it wrong.

Originally Posted by Cookiegsr
Reading comprehension.

Originally Posted by Del Namco Solo
Get either slotted or solid. Drilled does brake better but doesn't last as long as the other two. When it comes down to lifetime over breaking the slotted or solid lasts longer and offer enough braking power. The drilled only offers slightly better breaking (since Honda's don't produce enough power to take full effect of them) so you might as well go with the ones that will last long and brake just fine.

Slotted or solid, its up to you.

P.S. Drilled does cool better, someone said that when you brake the holes are covered by the breaks.... what are you locking up when you break? Because if you a breaking correctly the car slows efficiently without locking the breaks, meaning as the rotors turn the holes then cool the rotors. When rotors get to hot they can glaze and warp, that's why slotted and drilled rotors were invented.
Where do you guys pick up this junk ricer logic from? Pepboys?

EDIT: Starting to suspect a troll. "Honda's don't produce enough power to take full effect of them."
Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where do you guys pick up this junk ricer logic from? Pepboys?
EDIT: Starting to suspect a troll. "Honda's don't produce enough power to take full effect of them."
Yeah, 'cuz I shop at Pepboys....

Here I'll edit it for you "Stock Honda's don't produce enough power to take full effect of them".

Happy?

You wouldn't know what rice looked like if you bought it at the grocery store...

Quick Reply: want rotors instead of drums