Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Want to replace battery with better than OEM

Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to replace battery with better than OEM

The battery on my 99 Civic Si has seen better days and I want to replace it before I hook up my new stereo. I am worried though about the size constraints of where the battery is at on this car. Could someone recommend a good battery to replace the oem one with? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:11 AM
Painfully Stupid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Want to replace battery with better than OEM (tercel95)

Interstate?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to replace battery with better than OEM (tercel95)

I hear those yellow top Optima batteries are kick *** for sound systems. one of the best batteries out but cost a good amount. $149.99 for you vehicle.

http://www.partsamerica.com/pr...=D51R
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Want to replace battery with better than OEM (-PaulMc-)

Optima batteries are great.

Interstate batteries are great too. 75 or 85 month pro rated warranty, 2 years free replacement, etc.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

interstate batteries 5 year warranty, or optima
Old 10-13-2008, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Want to replace battery with better than OEM (B18C5-EH2)

I definatly agree with the optima battereies i run them in all of my cars and they have never let me down.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
New User

Default Re: Want to replace battery with better than OEM

Do you know if the Optima D51R is a direct fit or if I would need any modifications? I'm looking into getting one of these also.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a redtop in my 99 hatch it fits really really tight.

theres' some studs that protrude from the firewall coming from inside that you have to fight with for a little before it'll go in/out.

its good in a way because if they're trying to steal your battery (believe me some people do that) they'll probably give up after a minute or two

and the cheapest i found optimas; believe it or not is Costco; I paid like 120 for mine a year ago

and it comes with a 3 year "no questions asked" free replacement
Old 05-15-2009, 07:52 PM
New User

Ya dats the price I'm lookin for. I went to autozone today and they tol me 170 after I traded in my battery. Dats a lil steep but if I dont find it cheaper Ima have to do it.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I can say is Optima batteries are garbage if you don't drive the car every day, or at least start the car every other day if you're parking the car for periods of time. I've seen quite a few of them not carry a charge after parking the car for the winter. Even brand new ones that were only used briefly, and were kept on a trickle charger for most of the winter.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
New User

The main reason I want the Optima battery is because I park my car for the winter and all of spring. I only take it out in the summer so do you think it is worth me gettin the optima battery or do you recommend somethin else?
Old 05-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then I would say definitely don't get a Optima battery. I mean, maybe you'd have better luck than all the one's I've seen in the past couple years. Personally, I'd just get an EverStart or a DieHard battery and call it a day.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car was down for about a month and a half with an optima red top, did not charge it, took care of headwork and then got it back together and it started right up. Thats the first time ive ever heard of that kind of problem. just my .02
Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd respectfully advise you not to waste your money on any fancy a$$ batteries. Get a decent battery from Sears or Costco(Costco is where I get mine) and be prepared to replace it every 4 years, give or take a year depending on your climate and the load you put on it.

Do not forget to thoroughly degrease and abrasively clean the battery cable clamps, make the insides shine! Also, get a set of those felt pads they help reduce corrosion at the terminals. Finally, coat the completed connections with an aerosol coating made for batteries(can't recall the name off the top of my head).

Fact is, batteries wear out from generating electric through electolysis no matter how much they cost.

Or, go ahead and pay two to three times as much for a brightly colored battery that is perhaps 10-20% better.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM

Optima or interstate battery's are both good both have there own 5 year warrentys but also paying a premium for them.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had my hatch down for 2 months with my alarm activated while it was awaiting it's swap. Towed the car to a friends house and the hazards were still bright

now it's been sitting in my garage for 3 weeks with the alarm armed also while I got the head machined; and the H.I.D's still turn on bright and I'm pretty sure it will start right up after I put the head back on.

I think any battery is going to go bad after a long time of sitting

maybe the optimas CivicSpoon experienced were old? maybe
Old 05-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, not old experiences, within the past 2 years. Some were from after this past winter, and others were from the year before.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwelch1103
I'd respectfully advise you not to waste your money on any fancy a$$ batteries. Get a decent battery from Sears or Costco(Costco is where I get mine) and be prepared to replace it every 4 years, give or take a year depending on your climate and the load you put on it.

Do not forget to thoroughly degrease and abrasively clean the battery cable clamps, make the insides shine! Also, get a set of those felt pads they help reduce corrosion at the terminals. Finally, coat the completed connections with an aerosol coating made for batteries(can't recall the name off the top of my head).

Fact is, batteries wear out from generating electric through electolysis no matter how much they cost.

Or, go ahead and pay two to three times as much for a brightly colored battery that is perhaps 10-20% better.

My 2 cents.

I like the way you think.

I bought my car (new) in Jun 04, this Oct it will get a new battery before Winter sets in. Cheap insurance, $60.00 or so.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just get one with a good warranty......done
Old 05-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1992Si
I like the way you think.

I bought my car (new) in Jun 04, this Oct it will get a new battery before Winter sets in. Cheap insurance, $60.00 or so.
Thank you, that makes two of us

5 and 1/2 years is excellent for an automobile battery. Replacing it before the next winter is smart.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jwelch1103
Thank you, that makes two of us

5 and 1/2 years is excellent for an automobile battery. Replacing it before the next winter is smart.
I had the OEM Honda battery in the 92Si from Aug 92 to Jun 11 98 when it give up. Just went a checked the little notebook I keep of all the maintenance done. That car hasn't been on the street in 4 years, but I still have the records.

Sorry to hi jack....
Old 05-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tercel95
The battery on my 99 Civic Si has seen better days and I want to replace it before I hook up my new stereo. I am worried though about the size constraints of where the battery is at on this car. Could someone recommend a good battery to replace the oem one with? Thanks.
Optima and interstate batteries are great if you plan on installing high end stereo system depending on the votage but other than that I'd rather stick with my OEM genuine Honda battery if keeping it stock. I already had mine replaced 2 years ago.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSpoon
Then I would say definitely don't get a Optima battery. I mean, maybe you'd have better luck than all the one's I've seen in the past couple years. Personally, I'd just get an EverStart or a DieHard battery and call it a day.
I have to agree. My 1.5 year old optima in my Prelude can't hold a charge now beyond a week with my Viper 5900SST alarm active. It did fine when I initially bought it. If you google some info on the yellow top, a lot of people claim that the cells fail after a year or so. Would I buy one again, probably not. I bought an interstate Megatron battery for my Civic and I am completely happy with it. If your stereo is big enough to require a large current draw, you should look into getting a higher output alternator.

What important to note is that the yellow top falls into the Deep Cycle battery class. It has different characteristics than a standard automotive Starting battery (I believe the Optima Red Top falls in this category) and you should probably look up the differences before make your decision.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:23 PM

I personally have a cheapo battery from walmart in the front, and an optima yellow top in the back and i love the optima. Never had a problem in over 2 years. The reason most batteries fail is because people dont buy a powerful enough battery, and the strain wears it down prematurely.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My .02¢

I've had my Die Hard Weather Handler for over 8 years now. Been in 2 cars (in my DD now), it's been discharged/jumped several times and it's been through 8 NE winters. No plans to repalce it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want to replace battery with better than OEM