Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Want to get sunroof working perfect,

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to get sunroof working perfect,

I have a 92 Civic HB SI. I have to push up on the back of the glass so it will lift up and open. Sometimes when im closing it i have to help it move forward and sometimes the rear of the glass tries to go down before its all the way forward. Ive cleaned the tracks best I can and added a silicome (waterproof, and anti-rust) lubricant but it didnt help all the much. Any suggestions or items i need to replace?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to get sunroof working perfect,

If I where you I would tilt open the glass and remove the 3 bolts on each side that hold the glass to the tracks. once you have it out you have much better access to clean the tracks. degrease and remove all the crud in the tracks run the tracks back and forth a few times cleaning any remaining dirt and dried lube. Buy this point hopefully the thing is moving more freely. Apply a good lube to the tracks again running them in and out a few times and reinstall the glass. If this doesn't work there is one more thing to check when you open or close the roof you should hear the roof motor running a little bit before the roof tilts or after the roof is open all the way. There is a clutch pack in the roof gear box that you can adjust a little bit and see if it helps any. Warning do this at your on risk there are no parts avail for this mech and if something is damaged you will have to replace the entire frame. Remove the pug in the head liner covering the manual crank access point if you look up in there you will see a nut with a flat waser pinching one side. flatten the washer over enough to allow you to turn the nut the tighter you make the nut less slipping will happen if you make this nut to tight there will not be enough slipping to let the motor get up to speed and be able to open the roof . The comon thing that happens is the roof will take a little bump of the hand to get it to open and you will not hear the motor spinning before the roof opens. To loose a setting the motor will be heard spinning but the roof will not open again you will have to give it a bump to get it open. I think I remember seeing something in the service manual about useing a ft lbs scale to set the proper open/ closing force. If you have all the tools from the cars emergancy bag, there is a tool in there to crank the roof closed in the event that the motor fails. Its a great way to turn things when you are making the adjustment. If none of this works ou more then likely have a bad motor and it will need to be replaced. I have yet replace a motor in one of these most of the time doing these things the roof will work like new
Old 04-15-2009, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, thanks for that reply. Ill give those a try and hopefully it will get it working a bit better. If not I may just look at getting a new track.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 AM

And you should be using white lithium grease, not silicone
Old 04-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fortillian
I have a 92 Civic HB SI. I have to push up on the back of the glass so it will lift up and open. Sometimes when im closing it i have to help it move forward and sometimes the rear of the glass tries to go down before its all the way forward. Ive cleaned the tracks best I can and added a silicome (waterproof, and anti-rust) lubricant but it didnt help all the much. Any suggestions or items i need to replace?

Thought i was the only one with this problem... lol Will attempt this on the weekend perhaps.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by big_boosted_teg
And you should be using white lithium grease, not silicone

Thanks for this, I was thinking the same thing but the autozone employee pointed me otherwise.....So when i take the glass off ill make sure to clean off the stuff I put on and reapply with white lithium grease.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM

i have this problem also. that fix seems like a lot of work and there is a chance you may break something. I guess i will live with having to push it up with my hand until i find someone that has done this before.