Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

want to build a race hatch need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to build a race hatch need help!

I want to know how much it would cost if I could get a 92-95 hatch for like $200 and then buy a B16 and how difficult is it? I am not a noob or anything but I want to turbo it at the same time to reach about 300 HP which i've seen it done many times on b16 motors at 11 lbs of boost...the car would not be driven on the street and only used for autocross and maybe drag when it's set up for it...need some helpful suggestions guys...help a brotha out?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbo and autocross on a honda don't mix well, especially at 300 whp. a car with 300whp can and should be street driven even daily driven. my last teg i made 278 to the wheel and drove it about 50 miles everyday to and from school and to and from work. if you want a race car for track racing then go all motor and do honda challenge racing or go big and make like 600whp and make a drag car out of it.

all in all, at 300whp thats still a daily driven car in my garage. im going for 400-450whp with my current hatch and it will be daily driven. i don't see the point in owning a car if it isn't atleast partly streetable unless you are a hardcore race driver.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: (envee)

^i c your point and to me 300 ponies is a lot and yes it is still streetable but I already own an RSX-S so I am good on the street car...I would really like to biuld it to drag becuase that's the closest track to me(an hour away) so how much to oput all this together do you think?(the motor/turbo and making around 300 to 400 horses)...
Old 03-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jsrdelsol)

300 wouldn't be hard at all, bolt on a turbo kit and get a premium tune and you should be good to go for 300. 400 might require a little more money. im going to for 400 and im going to sleeve my block which isn't going to be cheap, im using importbuilders this summer, he charged 750ish for the sleeves themselves and installation, you just have to pay for shipping. im sticking with stock pistons and rods for now. but my turbo setup has really only cost me so far about 1200 dollars, only thing im missing is a downpipe and injectors. so you can definitely be a balller on a budget if you can find some deals. gl
Old 03-30-2007, 10:16 PM
* B A N N E D *

300 hp easy on a b`6, tough luck finding a hatch shell for 200 bucks, a b16a swap easiest swap known to man, if you take more than 3 hours doing it you suck well half of honda tech couldnt do it anyways PPP

but ya man a honda challenge car is soooo stock you would be able to drive it everywhere just have a roll bar in your face and a harness etc

why own a car that you cant drive and have to tow everywhere MIGHT AS WELL BUY A CAMARO

ya hardparker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nah but seems very doable on the cheap man of course everyone else with the stock cars will chime in saying ya b16a swaps are expensive, you cant turbo this becusae of this etc etc typical ht rice **** but otherwise its a very common set up man
Old 03-30-2007, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would go with a b18c myself, wait i did.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:31 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by envee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would go with a b18c myself, wait i did.</TD></TR></TABLE>'

you get a cookie for not being a honda-tech ricer

you're from sarasota?????????? i have family out there, hate everysingle one of em but yes i do have family out there and grand rapids michigan (they own 2 houses)

love my japanese side of my falily tho yokohama and tokyo houses FTW and better people too

(the white/irish side of my family is all that white supremecy **** thats why we dont like each other)
Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha thanks. i don't like cookies tho. i have had b18s in my last 4 cars. lol. maybe i should go k series in my next car :\

born and raised here. love it, who wouldn't like paradise. don't necessarily like the people but i don't live here for the people.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:04 PM

ya I would like a B18 but I don't want to spend that much right now...and it's just going to be a little project on the side for me so I don't mind towing it places or driving it sometimes since I have a hitch and trailer...but thanks for the help guys and I use to have a del sol with a b16 in it and I loved the motor so I should love it turbo!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

B18's can be found for less than B16's usually, and they make great turbo motors too because they have lower compression.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:16 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (AntiochOG)

this is a very broad question, try not to post fantasy threads, wait till you actually have something, and are stuck on a specific problem.. not how should i build my car.

/thread
Old 03-31-2007, 06:03 AM

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is a very broad question, try not to post fantasy threads, wait till you actually have something, and are stuck on a specific problem.. not how should i build my car.

/thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.. This question has been asked a hundred times, and it was rediculous the first time. You say you already know what you want to achieve and what you need to do it, just search the net and get some prices. Or go to a local shop.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by envee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha thanks. i don't like cookies tho. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This the first time someone reject the e-cookie.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This the first time someone reject the e-cookie. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Serious, to the OP:

If you can't "afford" a b18c, get an LS motor, they can likely be had for less than a b16. Just pair it up with a b16 tranny and I bet it's faster than a b16.

b18b &gt; b16a in stock form with identical trannys.