Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

WA residents: Passing emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WA residents: Passing emissions?

Went to get emissions tested today and I failed the hydrocarbon test at idle. The limit is 220 and mine is 498

I was wondering if any of you had a similar setup/problem and if you could give me any advice.

My setup is:

1992 CX
1996 B18C-R
new IAT
new 02
I/H/E (DC JDM header, Carsound cat)
chipped P28

My idle is rather rough, and fluctuates quite a bit between very low rpms and normal idle speed. I don't have a tach so I can't pinpoint where it's at, but do you think that could cause the problem? I don't know what else it could be, unless it's simply the fact that it's a JDM engine, but I didn't think WA standards were that tough.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (nw.dave)

No one? Maybe I'll try GDD.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:40 AM

Try a stock p28. That should help.

For me i had to dump 15 bottle of heet and go with 87 octane gas to pass emission last time i did it.
I have a 94 cx with built b16 and i used a stock p28. I run really rich with the chipped p28.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:25 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (HyBriDcxR)

The info sheet I received from the station mentions a lean a/f ratio as a possible cause of failing the hydrocarbon test. I too was initially thinking that I might be running rich, but now I'm not sure.

Guess I'll start looking for a stock P28...
Old 10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
AIRBORNE

if you wanna pass .. this is what you do.

Get a PO Box out in Yelm or Roy .. out in the middle of nowhere, it's about 30 minutes from Tacoma, and register your car to that PO Box ... guess what happens next.

NO emmisions required, and just pay like $20/year or something.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (Odiedogcx)

Well that's an idea. Anyone else?
Old 10-11-2004, 09:19 AM

aha. as an rx-7 owner, i've done a lot of research on dodging emissions. a couple options to throw out:

an excess of HCs means your car is running rich. play with the mixture and lean it out for the test. in fact a fluctuating idle can also indicate a rich condition. do you backfire or smell gas if you stand behind the car?

also, if you don't need to run premium, and you are, belay that **** sailor. that itself will cause an excess of HCs.

also, you could try running on 50/50 ethanol/petrol mix. like 1 gal eth and 1 gal petrol, and then fill up with petrol after you pass the test. this may work, however the ethanol also contains hydrocarbons, so ymmv on that one.

finally, you could register the car as non-operational. essentially what you say to the person at the registration office is "my car doesn't run, so it can't get to a testing station, but my landlord requires current tabs." they make you sign a paper saying you'll get emissions done when the car is running again (you won't, will you? haha). there is no identification as to the running status of the car on the registration, and police don't have access to it either, so you won't have a problem if you get pulled over, too.

good luck.

edit: one of the favorites of the rx-7 crowd is pretty evil. there's a smog pump that feeds fresh air to the cats via the air control valve. what we do is bypass the acv and dump a 100% load of air straight into the cats. if you can't reduce the parts, increase the millions!

Modified by rotaryguy at 6:29 PM 10/11/2004
Old 10-11-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (rotaryguy)

Thanks for your help

I figured I was running rich; that info sheet from the test station must be a typo... Think I'll try running a stock ECU and some low octane gas (my engine is a JDM one which means compression is a bit higher, necessitating 91 octane, but I think for an emissions test I can get away with 87 or 89), and see if that gets me by.

The car is actually registered, but it's only a 60 day temporary tag. I didn't realize there was a way to do this permanently...?
Old 10-11-2004, 10:59 AM

the non-runner trick works for a year until you have to renew your tabs.

both of my rx-7s were registered this way.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (rotaryguy)

just retard the timming right out of it raise the idle to 1100 and get a cat
also make sure your using a primary o2 sensor it cycles alittle bit faster
and when you go rev the motor to about 3500-4000 rpm to make sure the cat is nice and hot

this is what i did on my set up
b20vtec 12.5:1 comp. 00 itr cams

-this was just an idle test by the way, if you have any questions feel free to im me we do alot of this at the shop i work at.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (eg_type_r93)

I do have a cat, it's a Carsound but it's practically brand new. Also, if the idle is above 1100 rpm they can't test it, and without a tach it might be hard to pinpoint.

I'm also running OBDI so there is only the one 02 sensor.

The idle test is the one I failed so at least we're talking about the same thing I'm actually thinking now that the cat might not've been hot enough; when I got to the test station I found my upper rad hose had disconnected, and I let the car sit for about 10 mins. while I refilled the radiator with water. Perhaps that + the chipped ECU caused my ridiculously high HC.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (eg_type_r93)

Your set up is similar to my friends, he failed also and had to register his car somewhere else. Personally i have mine registered at a relatives house in bellingham. Theres a lot of places around here where emissions isnt required, they just have to be a lil ways away from the testing stations and not densly populated. So if u have a friend or family member u should check with them. You can also get the P.O. box like odiedogcx said, i called the emissions place a while ago when i was trying to figure it out and they said that was fine as long as the car was there most of the time. Of couse it wouldnt be tho
heres a list of zip codes requiring testing: http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs...s.pdf

Old 10-11-2004, 12:06 PM

The only thing i failed last time was the idle portion also.

Like i said earlier just use a stock p28. Run your car near empty then fill w/ a gallon of 87 octane and add some heet(or rubbing alcohol). Run your car so it's warm up and go back and get tested. I was running a high-flow cat at the time also. Would have been easier if i had a cat.

Do that if you don't want to mess with your timing.

There's a nother quick fix but it's more extreme. If you really need to pass you can pm me and i'll tell you. It's kind of like cheating.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (HyBriDcxR)

Do you think a P28 or an OBDI USDM P30 would be better? Or would it matter?
Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if it's the same up there or not but if we fail here in TN we get a free chance to take it again and if this is the case with you I would just do the rubbing alcohol thing and rev your car up to heat up the cat b/c it's going to be the cheapest way. If you fail, I would probably try a stock p28 and see what happens. If all else fails, get a PO Box in BFE and do it that way.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can also try some of those emmision chemicals they sell at schucks, also you could check your spark plugs and O2 sensor. Also think a stock cat will probably lower you HC's as well
Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions?

My next test is free, so that's cool, plus they're only $15 anyway so I could go back a few times before it started to hurt. I'd like to pass at my next test though lol.

I don't have a stock cat, and my stock exhaust would be a pain to go pick up and reinstall, not to mention that I'd have to make a flange to fit my DC JDM to the stock cat, so the Carsound will have to stay. I passed emissions with a year-old Carsound and a USDM B16 in my old del Sol, so I'm pretty sure the cat isn't the problem. Also the 02 sensor was just replaced. I'm checking my plugs soon to make sure I'm not running way too rich; might end up replacing them and changing the oil just to be safe right before.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:52 PM

i passed my emmisions without going in. having a friend work at the dmv is priceless.

IF you want Pm me and i can help arrange something for you. Ofcourse for some money.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: WA residents: Passing emissions? (Jumpmann23)

Jumpmann, you still selling that HB? I cannot contact you because, 1. I'm still a trial member. 2. My email server restricts hotmail connections. 3. Phone cards on the ship I'm on are like 2 dollars a minute. Anyway, if you have another email address please let me know. Thank you.