Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VX sat 2 weeks--fan motor seized?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default VX sat 2 weeks--fan motor seized?

Don't let your car sit,
especially older cars. It's bad for them!

Just last summer my friend's '99 Protoge had serious problems after being driven after 6 weeks of sitting. It overheated and the alternator went.

Now my car has been sitting for two weeks. When I started it up it started a little rough (really only a little) but then was fine after a minute or two. 15 minutes later I drove it around the block and everything was in order. Idle was just where it should be and it sounded fine. Then I turned the fan on. Fan didn't go on. But I smelled the smell of burning rubber after I turned it on. 30 seconds to a minute the fan had been on I suppose before I turned it off. Then I did a little test. I turned it on and watched the tach and listened to the motor. When I would turn the fan on I would hear the engine go up a little. I repeated this test several times (all in the same span of time) and each time the engine note would rise slightly. So my theory is the motor is working but the fan is seized from sitting and being a really old car (everything is seized and difficult to move on my car--for instance, when I let the car sit for even just 24 hours the rear brakes seize and it's difficult to get the car to move--sometimes even the brakes seize so much the tires slide on the gravel when I try to drive away).

Anyway... maybe it'd be easy to get my fan/motor unseized? Or should I just replace it?

Thanks for reading, and don't let your car sit without running it regularly!
Old 08-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: VX sat 2 weeks--fan motor seized?

Never heard of this problem. Typical issues when car sits from experience are; seized e-brake, rusted out calipers/brakes/rotors, rotted out fuel lines. All of course take alittle more than 2 weeks....

Did you check the motor to make sure there was no debris inside? Alot of critters can migrate within 2 weeks.

If you can find a fully functional used fan/motor why not. Even if you end up fixing it at least you got a spare.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VX sat 2 weeks--fan motor seized?

I'd pull the HVAC box out from behind the glove box and see first before you start buying parts. Leaves and other stuff can get into the fan housing and cause it to not move freely, and there's a resistor which can frequently go bad which goes into the top of the fan duct housing. I've never known an HVAC fan motor burning out.