Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VX electrical issues? -- no spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Icon6 VX electrical issues? -- no spark

Hi, my long livin' stock, unmolested VX (with the original lean burn engine, d15z1, for fuel sippin') is probably on its last legs. Inspection woes aside, it suddenly won't start right after getting inspected. It cranks over but the mechanic where the car conveniently died (across the street from the inspection place) says it has no spark and that it's probably the distributor(?) His English is not so good: he said the 'coil' and pointed at the part where the spark plug wires come out of. Likely culprit? He seems like a nice guy--he helped me push the car when I tried to bump start it before there was reason to suspect a problem. The car often doesn't start because the battery needs to be replaced, and bump nearly always works. This time bump starting failed repeatedly. Hooking up a starter and having the starter turn over "woi-woi-woi-starting sound) it never caught--hence no spark.

Some other considerations: couple years ago the dome light started working intermittently, then stopped working altogether. Very recently the left turn signal sometimes doesn't work (probably about 10% of the time it won't work). An intermittently working turn signal (and formerly dome light) seems to me might represent a big underlying electrical problem. I'm just afraid it might not be worth fixing.

On this thread: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=13320 I posted about a hiccup/stutter problem seemingly related to moisture. Me (1993CivicVX):"been real wet last few days and the car coughs or misfires or something like a severe lean burn stumble. This only happens when the engine is cold and its wet out. Didn't happen this morning and it was dry out. friend tells me it could be I need new spark plug wires." Might the following replies be related to the current problem of not starting?

Originally Posted by Ford Man:
"Coughing hesitation could also be caused from condensation forming inside the distributor cap from drastic swings in temperature and humidity levels. WD-40 sprayed to the inside of the distributor cap is said to resolve moisture problems inside the cap."

Originally Posted by kamesama980:
"My trick did the same thing. any time there was moisture condensation out it would run fine at idle and up to slight loads but anything over about 10% load (by opening the throttle or less throttle at higher revs) and it'd miss like crazy and fall on it's face. one day I was fiddling with it under those conditions and grabbed the distributor to adjust timing for whatever reason and zap zap zap. new plugs, wires, and cap and no more problems since."

Might WD-40 and changing out those wires solve the problem? A new distributor is quoted at $150 so maybe I should try the WD-40 and wires before betting on a new or used distributor?

Thanks very much for reading.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VX electrical issues? -- no spark

Dizzy could be the culprit when was the last time it was replaced? Wires replaced?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wires, spark plugs, dizzy cap were done about 3 years ago. No idea when the dizzy was done last. Could be ancient for all I know. The car has about 260,000 miles on it. The odometer works intermittently since I've owned the car. I acquired it with 174,000 now the odo reads 209,000 but it only works about 50% of the time. I assume dizzy = distributor? Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Root16
wires, spark plugs, dizzy cap were done about 3 years ago. No idea when the dizzy was done last. Could be ancient for all I know. The car has about 260,000 miles on it. The odometer works intermittently since I've owned the car. I acquired it with 174,000 now the odo reads 209,000 but it only works about 50% of the time. I assume dizzy = distributor? Thanks for the reply.
yes dizzy is distributor... easy fix...
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a long time, i believe all that should be replaced about once a year. so that very well could be your problem but dont just go out and buy 1 you want to be sure thats it. your gonna need to do some troubleshooting. as for the intermittent odometer is the speedo also or just the odo? there was a thread a couple days ago on here on how to fix that ill try to get you the link.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...ht=speedometer
Old 06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by virgineg6
thats a long time, i believe all that should be replaced about once a year. so that very well could be your problem but dont just go out and buy 1 you want to be sure thats it. your gonna need to do some troubleshooting. as for the intermittent odometer is the speedo also or just the odo? there was a thread a couple days ago on here on how to fix that ill try to get you the link.
So you think replacing those parts (basically a tune up) might fix the problem? Thanks for the odo/speedo link!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hondaguy72 over at gassavers.org says: "The coil is in the cap on the VX. The coils don't usually go bad, but it isn't out of the question." So should I buy a new cap and see if that fixes the problem? I don't really have the time or know how to do the troubleshooting myself. But this mechanic I'm at kinda seems like he just wants to start throwing parts at it. But if I get some kind of conensus here I can call him and tell him to replace the distributor cap, wires and maybe spark plugs as well--see if that fixes it. If not.. then try for a new distributor? Thanks guys for the help.