Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VX ECM California vs. Federal Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VX ECM California vs. Federal Emissions

I have a 1992 Civic VX that needs a new ECM. I have one I can pick up for cheap, but it is from a Federal emissions car, and mine is Cal. emissions.

My question is: Are these in any way compatible. If I hook up a Fed. ECM will my car not run? Will it run, but have a check engine light?

Is there any way to modify things to make it work? I've never had ECM problems before, so I've never had to replace one.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

just to double check
Cali-emissions P07
37820-P07-L0x

fed-emissions P07
37820-P07-A0x

did your stock ECU get stolen or did it go bad?
if it went bad for some reason you may be able to have it fixed, it shares the same board as the P28/P06/P05 family of ECUs.

You'd be better off getting a chipped P28 with the cali-spec maps in it.

the cali-spec ECU (P07-Lxx) uses a four-wire O2 instead of the 5-wire used in the fed-emissions versions. So no lean burn mode, which is what gave the VX suck high mpg ratings.
There is also no EGR.

Those are the two main differences off the top of my head. I'm sure there is more.

basically you can make the fed-spec ECU work in your car but it's not going to be easy. the 5-wire O2 costs more than a chipped P28. And the EGR setup required by the fed-spec ECU is going to be a pain unless you can find a fed-spec intake manifold and the EGR control box mounted to the firewall to go with it.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just to double check
Cali-emissions P07
37820-P07-L0x

fed-emissions P07
37820-P07-A0x

did your stock ECU get stolen or did it go bad?
if it went bad for some reason you may be able to have it fixed, it shares the same board as the P28/P06/P05 family of ECUs.

You'd be better off getting a chipped P28 with the cali-spec maps in it.

the cali-spec ECU (P07-Lxx) uses a four-wire O2 instead of the 5-wire used in the fed-emissions versions. So no lean burn mode, which is what gave the VX suck high mpg ratings.
There is also no EGR.

Those are the two main differences off the top of my head. I'm sure there is more.

basically you can make the fed-spec ECU work in your car but it's not going to be easy. the 5-wire O2 costs more than a chipped P28. And the EGR setup required by the fed-spec ECU is going to be a pain unless you can find a fed-spec intake manifold and the EGR control box mounted to the firewall to go with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, there is a junkyard near me that has a VX with the computer, engine, pretty much everything under the hood available.

Could you tell me specifically what I would need to take off the junkyard car.

Also, where and how would I get a chipped P28?

Also, are you telling me the Cali emissions VX got worse gas mileage than Fed. emissions? WTF? How does worse gas mileage = better emissions?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ideally the entire car would be great.

the intake mani with sensors and plugs, EGR control box on center of firewall with plugs, O2 sensor with plugs and ECU should be enough to get you there though.

chipped P28, search on here for one. They are commonly avable from many people.
xenocron.com and kenji211.com are good people to talk to.

the NOx levels jump up when higher than 15:1. The lean burn mode tends to get into the 17:1 range or higher. Ironically CO and HC drop like a rock. But cali is picky...
Old 02-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the help. I will probably just replace the ecu. Do you happen to know what the difference in gas mileage was between Cali. and Fed. emissions?

Do you have a picture of the EGR box on the firewall, so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Modified by Pooby88 at 5:41 PM 2/12/2008
Old 02-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ideally the entire car would be great.

the intake mani with sensors and plugs, EGR control box on center of firewall with plugs, O2 sensor with plugs and ECU should be enough to get you there though.

chipped P28, search on here for one. They are commonly avable from many people.
xenocron.com and kenji211.com are good people to talk to.

the NOx levels jump up when higher than 15:1. The lean burn mode tends to get into the 17:1 range or higher. Ironically CO and HC drop like a rock. But cali is picky...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well now I'm really confused. My car has: an ECU part # that ends with L00.
A 5-wire sensor
An EGR with control box.
The sticker under the hood indicates California emissions, but the same sticker shows the EGR!

So what the hell is going on?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you got a federal emmisions vehicle NOT cali.

as soon as i seen this title i knew relic would have this one taken care of. he's the VX god.

so im still trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with your ECU???
Old 02-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pooby88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well now I'm really confused. My car has: an ECU part # that ends with L00.
A 5-wire sensor
An EGR with control box.
The sticker under the hood indicates California emissions, but the same sticker shows the EGR!

So what the hell is going on?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I dug out my notes on the VX here at home... I have to appologize to you for leading you down the wrong road... Your car is an exception to pretty much every rule about cali-spec VXs.
92 (L00) was the learning year for honda and cali. The 93-95 (L01 and L02) was the four wire O2 for the cali-spec.
92s have the standard fed-spec setup. But the lean burn was disabled to reduce emissions. Honda then got rid of the 5-wire O2 in future versions of the cali-spec VX to reduce costs since it was no longer needed.

a fed-spec ECU should be plug and play into your 92 VX. I say "should" because there are very few 92 cali-spec VXs out there. And even fewer people willing to mess with them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as soon as i seen this title i knew relic would have this one taken care of. he's the VX god. </TD></TR></TABLE>
hardly, just have a lot of notes. And I'm an information *****.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so im still trying to figure out what exactly is wrong with your ECU???</TD></TR></TABLE>
same here.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, a local junkyard has a Fed. emissions ECU for $100. I guess I'll check it out and report my findings
Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pooby88)

I have a cali spec 92 vx also. I just got finished replacing the ECU with the fed spec, and I also replaced the O2 sensor (the one that came with the car was a 5 wire, but it was bad). I should be able to tell you in a couple days if there are any problems with replacing the ECU with a fed spec, but unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive it enough to see.

My best guess is that it will work without any problems, and replacing the ecu will give you better gas mileage, due to the lean burn setup.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MatHadder)

Also, if you dont want to risk changing the ecu, I have the original 92 cali spec vx ecu from my car, which worked perfectly.... pm me if you are interested in it.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pooby88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, a local junkyard has a Fed. emissions ECU for $100. I guess I'll check it out and report my findings</TD></TR></TABLE>
holy crap is that a screwing. you can pick up fed-spec P07s for ~$35.
The fed-spec P07 is one of the few OBD1 ECUs that are not able to be chipped, so they are not worth much.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:
I bought a fed spec ECU off Ebay for about $30. I plugged it in and presto, car runs fine, and now I have the lean burn mode, so I get better gas mileage.

So for anyone that has a 1992 Cali-spec VX, for an easy upgrade swap in a fed ECU.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pooby88 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Update:
I bought a fed spec ECU off Ebay for about $30. I plugged it in and presto, car runs fine, and now I have the lean burn mode, so I get better gas mileage.

So for anyone that has a 1992 Cali-spec VX, for an easy upgrade swap in a fed ECU.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Frm what I have heard, this is an easy upgrade that MANY people do with CA VXs that have five wire sensors.