Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec sometimes not engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec sometimes not engaging?

Alright...I'm having a problem with my vtec not engaging sometimes. It can be cool out, hot out, the car can be driven for a long amount of time, or short...and it will not always engage. As some of you know, I have a Skunk2 Stage 1 cam in my D16z6, and I now have a custom chipped P28 running the car. From what I was told, with the chip, the car should try to engage vtec all the time now, and not under the stock ECU's speed and temperature guidelines. I've actually been having this problem even before I got the new cam. Some times it will engage, other times you'd question it cause it's so quiet. Now that I have the cam, vtec is loud when it does engage, and when it doesn't, it sounds like Non-vtec, and doesn't pull at all.

I've cleaned the vtec soilinoid already with brake cleaner, but it didn't do anything. I have plenty of oil, and change it every 3k-5k miles. I'm lookin for other cheap solutions that will make my vtec engage consistantly.

PS...I know this has been sort of post before, but I didn't find any help. Most of what I read was about cleaning the solinoid, and getting a vtec light since SOHC's are so quiet.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a chipped ecu and i still have to have at least 55 psi and a decent oil temp to engage vtec. but im running a b series
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Vtec sometimes not engaging? (H23 EG Hybrid)

not a cheap solution, but try getting and toying around with a vafc and see if that solves the problem.

have you checked all the electricals? maybe there's a bad connection somewhere..
Old 08-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a chipped ecu and i still have to have at least 55 psi and a decent oil temp to engage vtec. but im running a b series</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where could I check how much pressure my D16z6 should have?...is there a cheaper way then buying an Oil Pressure Guage to measure the pressure?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vsm98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not a cheap solution, but try getting and toying around with a vafc and see if that solves the problem.

have you checked all the electricals? maybe there's a bad connection somewhere..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn...I just sold the one I had too. I never installed it...but had it lieing around for a month. As far as electronics go...that was what I was leaning towards since I cleaned the solinoid. Other if there are any oil ports in the head that would be clogged...could that effect it.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

id get the oil pressure gauge and a warning light. if ur oil pressure gets to low u can kiss your motor bye bye. it should be a gauge everyone should have. Check the connections for the vtec slot. i believe it is the A6 pin on the ecu. make sure that connection is good.

Do not use butt connectors they suck ***. i prefer spade M & F connectors without the insolation. i solder the wires onto the Spade connectorthen solder the 2 connectors together. this method has never failed me