Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec Solenoid cracked.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec Solenoid cracked.

Well a couple days ago my car was losing oil really quickly(I have always had a small leak but could never figure out what it was) I had work so there was nothing i could do at the time.

Drove to work and on the way there white smoke was coming up from under my hood at stops. I had just put more oil in it and i knew it was oil burning so i thought i did something stupid like leave the oil cap off or something so i pulled over.

Popped the hood and the oil cap was on. (lol) but i figured out why i was burning oil, Oil was gushing out from the top part of my vtec solenoid, But only in one area. Not like all the way around it. Figured the gasket might have blown. Went to a honda dealer ordered the 3 new gaskets. took the solenoid off the engine then started taking it the rest of the way apart the gaskets where not broken or anything but really dried and hard, replaced the gaskets mounted the bottom part of the solenoid to the engine with snug tightened bolts then started to put the top part on. got the 3 bolts in started tightening them and the solenoid cracked and broke off...

Right where it was gushing out oil is where the crack started. Not sure if it was me that tightened it too tight or it was infact the solenoid itself was bad

Does it take much to brake them? I still had a little more room to turn without actually putting weight into it.

Either way, I need a new one. I have all the gaskets now(not sure if i should even replace the gaskets on the used one i get don't want to brake that one too ) Where should i go to find one? I work tomorrow and all next week so i would need to get one ASAP junk yard my best bet?
Old 06-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Vtec Solenoid cracked.

at least in my area, vtec hondas usually get torn apart pretty fast in the junkyards. so you'd be lucky to find a vtec solenoid there.
i'd say look really hard for people on the forums or classified ads parting out THEIR motors.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Vtec Solenoid cracked.

ebay you can find used ones on there for pretty cheap. or if you want to be cool skunk2 sell their own VTEC solenoid(mad VTAK powerz y0). they're only supposed to be hand tight or just over so yes I can see how you may have cracked it.