Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec question

i got a 95 ex coupe
my p28ecu dosent activate the vtec for soem reason, i was jus wondering if just beacuse the vtec dosent active if it still messes with the A/F ratio to where i could run a switch and be able to active it when its supposed to be on
Old 02-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: vtec question (BadAzzHAtch)

what motor are you running? The SOHC? if so then you wont feel vtec. Put a vtec light somewhere and then youll know.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:38 PM

yeah its the d16z6 but before i did the engine swap the old engine seemed faster then this one, and the guy that checked it out for me said its the ecu
Old 02-07-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a switch is not the way to go.if the VTEC really isn't working,you need to figure out why and fix it.
chris
Old 02-07-2004, 07:54 PM

Have you checked your oil lately. Sometimes if your low on oil and your vtec silinoid isn't getting oil than it wont work properly.
Old 02-07-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: (BadAzzHAtch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BadAzzHAtch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah its the d16z6 but before i did the engine swap the old engine seemed faster then this one, and the guy that checked it out for me said its the ecu</TD></TR></TABLE>

if thay guy said it the ECu problem, just get another ECU to check it out
Old 02-07-2004, 08:06 PM

try a different ecu or wire up a VTEC light.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrIllegalX)

do u have a check engine light on. becuz whenever my vtec wire came loose off the ecu the light comes on. becuz i have a loose connection.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your ECU for trouble codes. Try measuring the resistance of the VTEC solenoid. Check your oil level. Also make sure your car is at operating temp. and that the car is actually moving (and not just sitting there revving up). VTEC will only occur (stock-wise) under certain conditions, not just anytime.
Old 02-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: vtec question (TylerH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TylerH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked your oil lately. Sometimes if your low on oil and your vtec silinoid isn't getting oil than it wont work properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah this happened to me, if you're kinda low on oil, it'll engage every once in a while and feel very rough. Unless it's so low that there isn't enough oil pressure to engage at all, which I'd hope it wouldn't be.
Old 02-08-2004, 03:32 AM

Well you have a few things you could check....

1) since the guy said it could be your ECU...try another ECU, maybe borrow one that works in a friends car...so you know its a working ECU

2) check to see that you have oil, and oil pressure, b/c vtec is activated by the oil pressure.... also make sure the car is warm...b/c if your car is cold and your oil is still thick..your vtec wont kick in either.. btw..what weight is your oil..(random question)

3) if the two previous things dont help..check your vtec solenoid...and its wiring...b/c from what i got in your responses you just swapped the motor out..maybe you messed up the solenoid somehow..or its dirty and its not getting a signal...

If anything...good luck..hope you figure it out...

Modified by shaluv639 at 12:49 PM 2/8/2004

Modified by shaluv639 at 12:54 PM 2/8/2004
Old 02-08-2004, 04:08 AM

if your oil is so low that vtec wont engage then your rev limiter should kick in early too.
also the wire for the vtec solenoid could be loose.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a thought: Could the little filter that's on the VTEC solenoid be clogged? Maybe check that.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vtec question (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what motor are you running? The SOHC? if so then you wont feel vtec. Put a vtec light somewhere and then youll know. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG.

I have i/h/e and i can feel mine great..might want to check yours.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:41 PM

well the vtec light thing didnt work...

but i ran a switch to the vtec seloniod and yeah, vtec works and you can feal it on a single cam if you know where to hit it which i guess i do beacuse when i hit the switch its like yeah

but i dunno, i was told that nothing would happen unless i got a v-afc, could it just be something in the ecu that caused the vtec to not activate cause with the switch it works just fine

and oil was good and its 10w-30 castrol synthetic

but i wasted my money on the light so vtec light was kinda useless
Old 02-10-2004, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (BadAzzHAtch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BadAzzHAtch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the vtec light thing didnt work...

but i ran a switch to the vtec seloniod and yeah, vtec works and you can feal it on a single cam if you know where to hit it which i guess i do beacuse when i hit the switch its like yeah

but i dunno, i was told that nothing would happen unless i got a v-afc, could it just be something in the ecu that caused the vtec to not activate cause with the switch it works just fine

and oil was good and its 10w-30 castrol synthetic

but i wasted my money on the light so vtec light was kinda useless</TD></TR></TABLE>

get another working ECU to check, so you know if it is bad ECU or not
it was the cheapest way for you to check coz you can borrow your friend's ECU and check, but you did something extra. that's the waste of money, however it's only a little
Old 02-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec question (USDMDC2)

I had I/H/E On 2 different Y8 and never felt Vtec once. My friend had a single cam with I/H/E and never felt it either.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:27 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WRONG.

I have i/h/e and i can feel mine great..might want to check yours. </TD></TR></TABLE>
haha hell ya me too, i can feel my vtec engage
Old 02-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: vtec question (JDMTYPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMTYPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had I/H/E On 2 different Y8 and never felt Vtec once. My friend had a single cam with I/H/E and never felt it either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever bro..
Something must be wrong or your just deaf
Old 02-10-2004, 12:56 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMTYPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had I/H/E On 2 different Y8 and never felt Vtec once. My friend had a single cam with I/H/E and never felt it either.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i think u also have to know what u are listening for, it can be easily ignored if u aren't familiar with it.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec question (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i think u also have to know what u are listening for, it can be easily ignored if u aren't familiar with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a b16b now trust me I know what it sounds like.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec question (Vtecin94dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vtecin94dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i think u also have to know what u are listening for, it can be easily ignored if u aren't familiar with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i didnt have any problems hearing my vtec in my z6, it wasnt anything like a b-series vtec but it was there for sure
Old 02-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec question (jameskersten1)

All I could ever notice was it seemed to pull a little harder. Probably just didnt listen hard enough
Old 02-12-2004, 03:51 PM

Im running an all motor D16Y8 in a 97 Hatch with the OBD conversion and the P28 DelSol ecu and my single cam VTEC kicks in like a champ. It is louder than i have ever heard and pulls hard to redline. In fact, VTEC was so loud i scared the **** out of this guy on the highway when i downshifted to 2nd to pass someone and VTEC engaged. He swirved and was starting to loose control while looking around like someone raped him. SO yes you can hear VTEC on a single cam pretty clearly if you know what you are listening for. I would try a new or different P28 and listen for it.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

WRONG.

I have i/h/e and i can feel mine great..might want to check yours. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think he just means its a smoother transission into vtec than a b series motor and it doesn't kick you back as soon as it hits. It definantely gets louder, but it doesn't feel anything like a dohc vtec motor crossing over.

Quick Reply: vtec question