Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec with the push of a button

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec with the push of a button

I just droped in my SOHC Vtec and wired the vtec so all i have to do is push a button and its on. Im gonna prob run it this week so how it does. but i def feel a big difference. I hit the button 4g's in 1st and just leave the vtec on from there. ill let you know how it works out at the track.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (Dont Say Homo)

its always been workin out fine for me... it has the same concept of a vtec controller, plus if its on at 4gs+ its fine?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (DjFreeze)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjFreeze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just droped in my SOHC Vtec and wired the vtec so all i have to do is push a button and its on. Im gonna prob run it this week so how it does. but i def feel a big difference. I hit the button 4g's in 1st and just leave the vtec on from there. ill let you know how it works out at the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok ricer
Old 08-10-2003, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (nextelbuddy)

Also if you drain all the oil from your engine you'll gain major Hp because of less mass on the reciprocating assembly.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:12 AM
TheAutoboxer

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (nextelbuddy)

lol.. don't be ignorant.. insulting people won't help him much.
And to the ricer, lol sorry.. don't do that.. duh.. your engine
has a vtec point for a reason..
Old 08-10-2003, 09:15 AM
TheAutoboxer

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (menkio)

who told you that?.. you don't drain the oil you add water to it.. then you swap fuel with oil lines.. cuase everyone knows oil burns hotter than gas

Old 08-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Down Since Day 1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the button on your steering wheel? When you push the button do you just like take off like your using NAWZ!?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1 point 6)

Hey I have felt the power of the SOHC VTEC.....oh wait.....no I haven't

trust me, you will not feel it kick in.

and on top of that, you prolly made it slower.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:48 AM

Default Re: (1 point 6)

I could be wrong, but...

It was to my belief that VTEC was created in order to give us the best of both worlds; fuel effeciency as well as the characteristics of a high performance motor.

Unengaged vtec = excellent fuel effeciency, while maintaining that minimal econo-horsepower throughout the powerband.

Engaged vtec = poor fuel economy at a higher rpm, giving the motor the capability of producing more power. Why didnt they just make the motors with vtec throught the powerband? This goes back to the musclecar era; experimentation with new cams, valves, blah blah, longer duration. They IDLED LIKE ****, not to mention SHITTY GAS MILEAGE...same with todays cars, however when you have an amazing creation such as vtec, like I said earlier, you get the best of both worlds.

If this kids wants to engage vtec at 4g's through the rest of his gears, let him...I dont see any harm. But I would like to see his track numbers before I make any conclusions

Can someone technically explain how this would/could be harmful?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:52 AM

Default Re: (SleepyDX)

well said
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjFreeze &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just droped in my SOHC Vtec and wired the vtec so all i have to do is push a button and its on. Im gonna prob run it this week so how it does. but i def feel a big difference. I hit the button 4g's in 1st and just leave the vtec on from there. ill let you know how it works out at the track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Changing the VTEC changeover point with a stock cam will only hurt you. The changeover point is designed so just when the power starts dropping on the mild lobes, the more extreme ones switch over. The transition should be seamless.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:59 AM

There is a reason vtec doesn't engage untill the engine is warm, oil pressure is correct, etc. etc. It may seem to work out fine for you now but the gains will be minimal and you are just hurting your motor in the long run. If it really made a big gain don't you think everyone would wire up a switch and/or just always leave it engaged. Even the guys with controllers who drag a lot don't adjust the engagement point very much from stock.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

haha. heed the advice of honda-tech.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:53 PM

Default Re: (tominos)

Ghetto VTEC
Old 08-10-2003, 01:05 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (crXBoy69)

Michael, hit the BOOST!!!

Modified by Nikos at 5:23 PM 8/10/2003
Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SleepyDX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepyDX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I could be wrong, but...

It was to my belief that VTEC was created in order to give us the best of both worlds; fuel effeciency as well as the characteristics of a high performance motor.

Unengaged vtec = excellent fuel effeciency, while maintaining that minimal econo-horsepower throughout the powerband.

Engaged vtec = poor fuel economy at a higher rpm, giving the motor the capability of producing more power. Why didnt they just make the motors with vtec throught the powerband? This goes back to the musclecar era; experimentation with new cams, valves, blah blah, longer duration. They IDLED LIKE ****, not to mention SHITTY GAS MILEAGE...same with todays cars, however when you have an amazing creation such as vtec, like I said earlier, you get the best of both worlds.

If this kids wants to engage vtec at 4g's through the rest of his gears, let him...I dont see any harm. But I would like to see his track numbers before I make any conclusions

Can someone technically explain how this would/could be harmful?</TD></TR></TABLE>
technically.

the ECU has specific fuel maps and equations for specific things that happen. so by him turning it on early or LATE it dosent match the amount of fuel going into the engine. now because its a SOHC its probably not gonna hurt the motor. but it IS slower.

honda engineers spent alot of time figuring out where vtec should engage on each specific motor.

this is not an intelligent way to run vtec, do it right or dont do it at all.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Don't judge or question

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
technically.

the ECU has specific fuel maps and equations for specific things that happen. so by him turning it on early or LATE it dosent match the amount of fuel going into the engine. now because its a SOHC its probably not gonna hurt the motor. but it IS slower.

honda engineers spent alot of time figuring out where vtec should engage on each specific motor.

this is not an intelligent way to run vtec, do it right or dont do it at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You beat me to it! If he engages the vtec with a push button its probably going to run lean and eventually do damage to the engine, and not to mention not add any horsepower at all. I personally think he should do it, one less ricer on the road.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Moe

HOLY **** ITS VTEC NAWSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

*kidding*
Old 08-10-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (menkio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by menkio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol.. don't be ignorant.. insulting people won't help him much.
And to the ricer, lol sorry.. don't do that.. duh.. your engine
has a vtec point for a reason.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (Phastnphun)

wow....i've never heard of hitting vtec with a push of a button.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:42 PM

Don't expect to market a product like this...
Old 08-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (acuracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by acuracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't expect to market a product like this...</TD></TR></TABLE>Why not? Ricers love stupid ideas like this. I think its a very marketable idea. hehehe
Old 08-10-2003, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (EF9_SiR)

My vtec always kicks on at 3k... when im floored
Old 08-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Get the right ECU and wire it up correctly.

VTEC "at the push of a button" is ghetto and will not function nearly as good as a good old P28 ECU with it wired up correctly.

As far as changing the VTEC changeover goes with stock cam or cams, it can be done in a manner to increase midrange horsepower and torque but requires the proper air/fuel mixture to accomany it.

Case in point is my own B18C5 engine that saw a huge increase (+20whp and +20ft-lbs. of torque) in midrange just from fuel and VTEC crossover tuning with a V-AFC on a DYNO with wideband o2 sensor - on STOCK cams.

But on a SOHC VTEC engine the increases in power would be very minimal on the stock cam, and few people drop the money to have it tuned the right way in the first place.

Case in point is Mr. Pushbutton VTEC.

Re-chipped ECUs with well-mapped out fuel, timing, and VTEC crossover points can improve upon Honda's ECU designs because Honda has to make a relaible, safe, and fuel efficient program as well as one that makes good power.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:56 PM
NrG

Default Re: Vtec with the push of a button (ATgrills.com)

why have a switch?
just hook up the power source from your running lights to the vtec sensor, so when you're driving, just flip your headlights on and you'll have vtec y0!

its already been stated, but you wont feel jack, and it wont make any difference on a track.

Quick Reply: Vtec with the push of a button