Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC problems

Old 05-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC problems

I am stumped on this one. My friend has a DOHC del sol. When vtec kicks in nothing happens. The car gets louder but goes nowhere. This was a gradual process. It used to do it every once in a while and has since gotten to the point where it just does nothing all the time. One time it threw a TPS code but the votage was checked and it was fine. After turning off the car and turning it back on, the code went away. Other than that no codes have been thrown. Somebody told her it could possibly be the vtec solenoid, but if it was that then vtec just wouldnt engage, correct?

I was thinking it might be a possible fuel probelem. You can hear the vtec so it is engaging, but nothing happens. Maybe the car is starved for fuel up top? I'm really not sure what the hell is going on. So, i have turned to my honda tech brothers to help a lady out, cuz this is beginning to get very frustrating for her.

PS-Please, dont bother typing if you are going to type one of the following responses:
1. "Dude, you're expecting way too much out of vtec." No, I'm not. I drove her car before it went out, I have a swapped hatch and have driven numerous dohc vtec cars. I know what vtec should feel like.
2. "Search." Thanks, but i already did. One topic was posted just like this but nothing came of it.

TIA for any help.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:31 PM

Default Re: VTEC problems (JapTendencies)

Hey i've experienced the same problem in my 98 type-r. I took it back to the dealer they changed v-tec solenoid, my distributor, fuel regulator, and fuel pump.
After that it ran okay again. Dealer told me it was defect in fuel and air mixture causing oil pressure to drop. Making the vtec sound really loud but the car would not move like it should when vtec kick's in. Hope that will help you out. email me for anymore questions. Thanks
Old 05-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC problems (Tubceevxwm)

If you had to start changing those items in order, what do you think you would start with? the solenoid? FPR? I know she doesnt have money just rolling, so i think replacing all 4 of those at the same time isnt too feaseable.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:14 PM

Default Re: VTEC problems (JapTendencies)

I would do them both but if i had to start i would say fuel pressure regulator then solenoid.