Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec problems

eh yo, i got my car like a month ago or something and the vtec dosent feel like it kicks in. my friend tried it and he said the vtec dosent kick in. what do you guys think whats wrong with it? i havent really done anything to it except throw in intake. The engines got like 244 k miles on it. do you think its because of that?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:53 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vtec problems (sohc_civic)

search search search and search again

There was a thread the same exact thing like 5 threads below this one.
Since I'am not an *** ill help though

Do you have a cel?
Is your engine D-series?

On D-series some people can't here there vtec as much.
So that could be the case also just because you cant feel it doesnt mean its not engaging b/c D-series vtec doesnt have a lot of pull..but i'am not knocking on d-series motors by no means..
Old 11-13-2003, 10:57 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

yeah u prob just dont feel the vtec come in if u have a d series engine, which i bet u do, just have to know what u are looking/listing for
Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Most of the time with a single slammer you won't feel the VTEC nearly as much as you would with a DOHC because only the intake valves are affected.

You should be able to feel a difference in the power when your car is cold and after it has warmed up. The VTEC won't work unless the car is warm. I would't expect to feel much but you should be able to tell.

It's possible that your VTEC isn't working properly but I'm not sure how you would be able to tell?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

u could always hooks up one of those little vtec lights, i have seen abunch of threads about how to install those
Old 11-13-2003, 11:20 AM

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

i can hear mine. you just have to listen with a trained ear. it kicks in at 5500, but the tach is off so at 5700 rpm the car gets a little louder. just drive around in second gear and hold it at 55 then slowly bring it up. when the tach crosses 57 you will hear it - just listen carefully.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

based upon your user name, "sohc civic" I am going to assume that you do have a d series motor. Can you give us some more info on your car tho? Is that a pic of your car in your avatar? Year and model? Is your motor stock? If it is stock, you might want to install an intake and exhaust and header. Usually those basic mods will help your car a bit..and you might be able to hear your vtec kicking in.

<---- drives a d16z6 with i/h/e..and still can't hear or feel vtec kick in. hehe..damn single cams.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:26 AM

Default Re: vtec problems (WongFeihung)

i can hear mine no problem. i do have a v2 intake which is loud as hell though. the crossover isn't really loud or noticeable, but it's definately audible.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: vtec problems

yeah, mines a sohc. i just threw in an intake i got from a camry but i need an exhaust. they kinda expensive though. like 300. im trying to get an RPM cai for around 50 bucks. see if that work. and whats the best header? i mean for around 300? dc? yeah my cars a 95 civic coupe...
Old 11-13-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

95 civic coupe Ex? You got an intake from a camry? Just get a cheap cai from ebay..you can get it real cheap there. Hmmm..a good header? thats up for debate and its arguable. I have dc header 4-2-1..got it from a friend for 200. Dc's are alright..but i think there are cheaper ones out there.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:39 AM

Default Re: vtec problems (WongFeihung)

Why don't you hook up a Vtec indicator light into your cluster. Psychologically you'll see it and think your feeling a change.

-Swap
Old 11-13-2003, 11:44 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

your vtec ingages at 5700? mine comes in at 4800
Old 11-13-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't waste your money on I/H/E on a stock 95 civic ex motor, you won't gain much. At 200k you might as well start saving for a swap, for the amount you'll spend on I/H/E you can probably get an LS engine.

As to your problem, VTEC probably is still engaging and working as it should. You have a sohc engine that was designed completely for economical purposes, don't expect to be pushed back into your seat.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (Carlo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't waste your money on I/H/E on a stock 95 civic ex motor, you won't gain much. .</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never heard so much b/s in my life...You wont feel much power gains on a D16Z6?

Just because the motor has 200,000 miles doesnt mean it doesnt pull storong,etc.

With any car if you put an I/H/E on you will fill major upgrades..Its like saying If you put a turbo kit on you wont feel any gains..

Just my .02 cents
I dont mean to be an *** but think before you speak
Old 11-13-2003, 01:17 PM

Default Re: (USDMDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I've never heard so much b/s in my life...You wont feel much power gains on a D16Z6?

Just because the motor has 200,000 miles doesnt mean it doesnt pull storong,etc.

With any car if you put an I/H/E on you will fill major upgrades..Its like saying If you put a turbo kit on you wont feel any gains..

Just my .02 cents
I dont mean to be an *** but think before you speak </TD></TR></TABLE>

man you really do talk out of your butt. i agree with carlo i/h/e on a d16 with 200k is a waste. sure it will pull harder, but you will have invested close to a grand on a motor that is nearing the end of its life.

a turbo kit and i/h/e are two very different things... why would you even make that comparison?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:20 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

man you really do talk out of your butt. i agree with carlo i/h/e on a d16 with 200k is a waste. sure it will pull harder, but you will have invested close to a grand on a motor that is nearing the end of its life.

a turbo kit and i/h/e are two very different things... why would you even make that comparison?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No i didnt make a comparison between a turob kit and and i/h/e.
I said its like haveing a turbo kit and saying you didnt gain anything.

250.00 - Header
50.00-Intake
Exhaust-250.00 (axleback or muffler)
That not a grand but i understand your POV.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (USDMDC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just my .02 cents
I dont mean to be an *** but think before you speak </TD></TR></TABLE>

and

No i didnt make a comparison between a turob kit and and i/h/e.
I said its like haveing a turbo kit and saying you didnt gain anything.

250.00 - Header
50.00-Intake
Exhaust-250.00 (axleback or muffler)
That not a grand but i understand your POV.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Comparing turbo to I/H/E is stupid in the first place. And you really think you will feel m4d h0rs3p0w3r y0 adding I/H/E to a D16?

I wouldn't waste money. You'll get probably 10 HP out of all of that ****. Like you can really "feel" that compared to a turbo.

Go waste $550 on 10 HP. Sounds cool dude.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Re: (poison)

^^^ my thoughts exactly. getting i/h/e on an otherwise stock d16 is retarded. save your money, get a turbo, sc, or build the internals. then get i/h/e when you actually need it, and will gain more than 10hp from it.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Comparing turbo to I/H/E is stupid in the first place. And you really think you will feel m4d h0rs3p0w3r y0 adding I/H/E to a D16?

I wouldn't waste money. You'll get probably 10 HP out of all of that ****. Like you can really "feel" that compared to a turbo.

Go waste $550 on 10 HP. Sounds cool dude.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I wish someone had set me straight to begin with and told me a NA D16 was still going to get walked on. I gave up and bought a turbo and I'll tell you, I would'nt have wasted the money on the intake and header if I had known I was going to turn around and sell them agian because it was'nt nearly as quick as I wanted. Comparing I/H/E which maybe put me at 120hp in a y7 to a turbo which has me at over 200hp is just plain stupid.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Profile Information

Email Address ÃÂà ƒÂ‚Ã‚Â‚ÃƒÂƒÃ‚ÂƒÃƒÂ‚Ã‚Â‚Ãƒ ƒÂ‚» werdjimmy@aol.com.

USDMDC2 is currently Online.

Send Instant Message to USDMDC2

Full Name: Jimmy

AOL Instant Messenger: werD jimmy</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just turned 15, you seriously need to stfu. With I/H/E in my B16A2 Si with 150 miles I couldn't feel a difference either, made me faster by a couple tenths of a second.

So keep your 2 cents. At 6.25 an hour at Arby's, I wouldn't be throwing money around.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: (Carlo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You just turned 15, you seriously need to stfu.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahaha. i like his title too.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:43 PM

DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH OIL IN THE CAR?????
Old 11-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hahahaha. i like his title too. </TD></TR></TABLE>
And at 15 he's not even old enough to drive and see how much difference it makes (no track time at 15 where I live).
Old 11-13-2003, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Ricey McRicerton)

Any place I go unless it's a redneck track, you can't race unless you have a license.

He also listed Header for $250. Yeah.....uh huh. Unless you find some do0d who sells a DC for cheap as hell, or find a Paysetter, good luck..
Old 11-13-2003, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (BoneStckCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoneStckCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO YOU HAVE ENOUGH OIL IN THE CAR?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

WHAT???? WE CANT HEAR YOU!!!!

that has nothing to do with it anyway... his vtec is engaging fine, its just not too noticeable on a dseries.

Quick Reply: vtec problems