Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC not working ... tried a few things ... need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC not working ... tried a few things ... need HELP!

So while at the drag strip this past weekend the car was running really slow... No one could figure out why ... The CEL was coming on but only under WOT full load pull sin 3rd gear and above... and if you turned the car off then immediately back on the CEL will turn off. After the drag day we stopped and checked the ECU codes....
We got code 21 and code 22 ... which is VTEC not engaging and low vtec oil pressure ... so I'm assuming we're not getting oil pressure and vtec isnt switching over as a result...

We switched the vtec solenoid with another one, and checked the screen in the solenoid to see if it was clogged, but screens fine. Swapping the solenoid didnt help, but the little wiring harness/clip we had to cut and rewire it because my friend Ryan only had one harness clip (the part that has the clip in par that connects to the other clip in harness in the engine bay). I assume that harness is for the vtec switch? So that might not be working since we hacked it like I said before. But when I get into boost and it tries to switch to VTEC, the car makes this chuffing sound.... It sounds like a pump pumping air instead of what it should be pumping. Like a pffft pffft pffft sound. Only does it when getting into boost and trying to switch to VTEC. Ryan and I pretty much ruled out wiring because he never really played with it. He never had a V-AFC in it so I'm at a loss right now...
What are your thoughts on the issue and is it safe to drive as long as i keep the RPMs low (i.e. not in boost or vtec)?

Thanks

Oh btw, it's a D16Z6 with a turbo (obviously). But it's the single cam, ask questions if you need more info cuz I need help.