Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC not working. d16y8

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC not working. d16y8

Basically my vtec doesn't engage. Ive searched honda-tech for this same problem and i've only found one match to my situation, however there are some twists.

First off, since i got my car it started throwing the evap emissions CEL. I was told that it was because the intake is modified (by Prev owner) and that i would need original intake box to solve problem. This hasn't affected me at all and i've been told that this problem is minor and you don't really suffer any losses.

Second, i just had my clutch changed by a shop with oem honda parts. Whole nine yards, from plates to flywheel. After i received my car back, clutch was working fine however, my speedometer and odometer was no longer working.

I took it to the shop and the guy told me that the Vehicle speed sensor was modified (the prev owner ran the three wires from the orig connecting piece and saughtered the three wires to the actual speed censor and used electrical tape to keep it connected.) The yellow wire was disconnected while the other two wires ( i think green and red) were still holding on. I agreed to get it fixed with new parts and hopefully that will solve my speedometer problem.

After that diagnostic, i was going home and i wanted to hit vtec (err secondary vtec in 2nd gear) just once, so i tried. It did not engage at 5500 rpms like it usually did. Its been like this for about a day now and out of the 4 times i've tried it, all four attempts failed.

Can someone help me with my situation? Oil levels are fine BTW.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC not working. d16y8 (seanyboy)

if the cel is on more than likely the car will be running in what they call "limp" mode meaning it's just a default program that the computer goes too when it has a problem so if you can get the cel fixed the vtec should work properly unless of course there is something else wrong.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Default Re: VTEC not working. d16y8 (Kista20)

Once i get my VSS fixed, ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for your help
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 PM
New medicines

i think you cant hit vtec unless your vss is hooked up. im pretty sure it does something to the ecu, but then again im not very sure.

bump for some definant answers.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:22 PM
x0!
Honda-Tech Member

also check your oil. if your low vtec will not engage. also you don't really feel vtec in a SOHC. just hear it and not go anywhere
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM

honestly the vtec does help a little bit. Before, with my i/h/e setup i could beat a corolla type s. Tonight i couldnt even keep up with a baseline corolla. Terrible i know.

and it just feels weird hitting hi rpms without that vtec engagement sound from my intake. i know "vtec in SOHC's are only in the intake"
Old 02-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (seanyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seanyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly the vtec does help a little bit. Before, with my i/h/e setup i could beat a corolla type s. Tonight i couldnt even keep up with a baseline corolla. Terrible i know.

and it just feels weird hitting hi rpms without that vtec engagement sound from my intake. i know "vtec in SOHC's are only in the intake"</TD></TR></TABLE>

my friend has a D16y6 on his crx si.......and that thing pulls pretty damn hard, like u said, no vtec pretty much sucks which ever car it is....
Old 02-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also check your oil. if your low vtec will not engage. also you don't really feel vtec in a SOHC. just hear it and not go anywhere </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seanyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oil levels are fine BTW.</TD></TR></TABLE>

vss is somewhat indirectly linked to vtec, i think. does ur tach and speedo work?
i think you would know your vss is jacked.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (x0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also check your oil. if your low vtec will not engage. also you don't really feel vtec in a SOHC. just hear it and not go anywhere </TD></TR></TABLE>

it's more like a gust of wind gets behind you and helps you along but nothing like the jolly green giant giving a good swift kick in the rear though, you can def. feel vtec in a d series just isn't near as pronounced as the b series.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:18 AM

Default Re: (d[sick]sTeena)

The VSS is still in the engine bay. The part of the sensor is broken (the part where the three wires connect to the actual sensor) The wires have been saughtered to hold and compensate for the break. I'm replacing the whole sensor tomorrow. I'm hoping that will solve my speedo problem as well as my vtec problem
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: VTEC not working. d16y8

I know this is a crazy old thread...but did this resolve the issue?