Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC on a non Si = ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC on a non Si = ?

Well, I hate to be the New Guy and ask idiotic questions, but I'm looking to buy an [easily] mod-able Civic and I have a few questions. There's a 97 Civic EX coupe for sale in my price range, and I'm wondering how much VTEC will help in terms of modifying the car.....does it even matter? In other words, if there were two cars, both with say 125 horse, one with VTEC and one without, would the VTEC one be better for mods or does VTEC only do what it does bone stock?
Old 01-13-2002, 10:56 PM

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (RonSBG)

VTEC is great. When you mod a car with VTEC it also enhances the VTEC which is fun. Depending on how much you want to mod your car and how fast you want to go, Id suggest getting and older, lower model car and spend the extra money modding with a swap or forced induction. Hatchbacks are a ton of fun to play with
Old 01-13-2002, 11:02 PM

buy the EX, you will be happy with the AC, and sunroof. non-vtec sohc engines are ghey.
Just don't rice it out, there are enough ricers in the rochester area.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:48 PM

Haha seriously......had a race the other day against a old beat up Civic hatch with some giant Honda logo in the window....we were in my friend's 2000 Accord V6 Coupe (******* murdered him), kid gets out of his car at the next light and starts tryin to get inside our car. Lot of dumbasses around here. If you're ever in the MCC area take a trip through the parking lots, absolutely hilarious cars in there. I leave notes, haha. But back to the question! If I buy the EX coupe, the VTEC is definitely a plus for modding? I'm thinking about an AEM intake, Konig 17s, headers, exhaust (does RSR make a Civic system?) and a VTEC controller. Would that be enough to get the car moving pretty quick?
Old 01-14-2002, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yes VTEC makes a huge difference in the EX model. The VTEC is a huge plus if your going to mod it because it'll give your car a kick when the VTEC hits and you'll gain more HP from moding a VTEC engine than a DX. If your planning on getting a header, exhuast and intake than get the Apexi V-AFC beucase you'll need to tune the fuel curve so that your car doesn't have bad idle or stumble on the highway and also it comes with the VTEC controller. Tuning the fuel curve can also help you achieve more HP also, thats something that header or intake company's won't tell you to do because they know some people will say things like "what the heck, how the hell do I tune my fuel curve? Forget this!" becuase they gotta make money. And by the way 17 inch rims well also slow you down and make you lose HP becuase the engine will have to us more HP just to turn your 17's. Some 17's even weigh more than Honda's stock rims. The Integra GSR rims weigh in at only 15 pounds!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

you won't really notice that much of a change when VTEC "kicks" in. i have a '92 Si and i can't feel a difference in pull compared to my old '89 CRX Si. maybe after you start modding it later on you'll see a difference. i'm not modding my engine cause a B18 will be taking its place next winter.

these guys are probably right though, put some things like I/H/E, cam gear etc... (typical bolt on stuff) you may feel a difference.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (Spartanic)

Wierd tho, my friend just bought a 2000 EX civic coupe the other day, and i drove it, but i couldn't really feel the VTEC "kick in" compared to my Civic. I checked the engine, and I found out that the new D16Y8 (engine code on the block) doesn't have "VTEC" stamped on the valve cover...is this true? I'm not familiar with the newer Civic's, but I am very familiar with 92-95's... can someone clear this up for me, i would really like to know this...
Old 01-14-2002, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

they still have VTEC... the 96-00 EX's have a 1.6 liter SOHC VTEC with 127 horsepower opposed to the 92-95 EX and Si's with 125 hp.
i'm not a big fan of the SOHC VTEC's. when VTEC "kicks" in... it's no where near as power or noisey as the DOHC VTEC's.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:25 AM
YodaIsGod

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (Blazin Si)

just remember, VTEC is not the complete answer. Although it does help.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:48 AM
New User

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (YodaIsGod)

The VTEC stage is louder on a SOHC if you have an AEM CAI. Before I could not tell the difference in sound, but after the CAI I notice the changeover from the sound. Of couse, it is not as much of a difference as on my friend's B16A2.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:52 AM

I have a 99 EX - you don't really feel anything when it changes over in to VTEC, but once it does you can definitely tell there in more power and that sucker likes to rev. Just don't expect to get pushed back into your seat at around 5,000 prm.

Here's a site I wish I knew about before I bought my car: http://www.thepartstrader.com/adlayo...&Display=Brief

Good luck
Old 01-14-2002, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (Rezon)

i have a ghey D16Y7 ...

sohc non-vtec ... 106 at the crank ... and it is automatic ...
the only thing i feels at 6 to 7 rev .. is noise ... and not sound .. but noise ..... it is annoying when you have to rev so high to get little bit of that power ....

i got a ride in my frd ITR with B18C5 ...
when vtec change over .... it is less difference then i though .. but u realize it .. and you can actually hear it ..

but in my other frd 2001 SI (US's EX) .. u cant hear anything or feel anything ....

oh yeh .. vtec makes a difference .. depends on how you see things ...

if you like low end torque ... dont bother getting a honda ...
but you like high end power .... vtec rocks ......
but i would use the money ..

get a old and base model civic ... hb or coupe (your choice) and geting either B16A2 or B18C1 in it (hell if you got money .. B18C5) ... then you will reli enjoy it ...
Old 01-24-2002, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ?

i just learned something........ http://www.hondahookup.com/vtec.htm
Old 01-24-2002, 08:57 AM

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (99MilanoRedSi)

I have a 94 dx and I am saving the money to do a swap. However, I find it really funny when people with ex's talk about cars without vtec being gay, etc. When every ex I have ever raced I have left car lengths behind.

Your, AC, power everything, plus just being a coupe adds tons of weight. So isn't the fact that you have vtec and can be beaten by a car with about 20hp less, and no vtec a little gayer?

just my 2 cents.

-CS
Old 01-24-2002, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In other words, if there were two cars, both with say 125 horse, one with VTEC and one without, would the VTEC one be better for mods or does VTEC only do what it does bone stock?

it is not posible to for two hondas engines one with vtec and one without to have the same HP.

vtec adds more power to the engine.
Old 01-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (sshaikh01)

<--- wishes he had VTEC
Old 01-24-2002, 01:18 PM

Default Re: VTEC on a non Si = ? (sshaikh01)

i'd assume having a non-vtec sohc 1.6 huffing a couple lbs of boost or a 20 shot of NOS would make the same amount of horsies as a sohc vtec 1.6...

vtec doesn't magically add horsies to the engine, it adjusts the intake and exhaust timing at a higher rpm to allow the engine to make power more efficiently, thus producing more. you could get the same peak horsies out of a non-vtec motor that had an aggressive cam.