Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC Malfunction

I have a 96 Civic EX (D16Y8) 5 speed. About a month ago the check engine light came on. Shortly thereafter I was driving and it started sputtering, then cut out completely. It started up again, then cut out and hasn't fired since. I replaced the cap and rotor button, no luck. I checked the ecu and it was giving me a P1259 code. The oil level is good and there is plenty of gas. Anyone know what to do to troubleshoot this anymore?
Old 08-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Re: VTEC Malfunction (cpull32)

Find out what the code is.....then fix the problem.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check wire harness ground on thermostat housing
Old 08-11-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: VTEC Malfunction (Revolver)

Very insightful Revolver. Thank you. The code (as I had already posted) is P1259 - VTEC Malfunction. I would absolutely LOVE to "fix the problem", but mechanically inclined though I may be, I'm not entirely versed on the inner-workings of cars...which brings me to asking for help here. I don't study cars all day long, so I turn to those of you with expertise to lend a helping hand. If you don't want to help, fine, but please don't reply with a poorly shrouded dose of sarcasm and patronization. I understand that there is a problem with my VTEC...most likely with the ECU, but I was hoping that someone could let me know how I could narrow down the problem so as to avoid spending unnecessary amounts of money. Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cpull32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very insightful Revolver. Thank you. The code (as I had already posted) is P1259 - VTEC Malfunction. I would absolutely LOVE to "fix the problem", but mechanically inclined though I may be, I'm not entirely versed on the inner-workings of cars...which brings me to asking for help here. I don't study cars all day long, so I turn to those of you with expertise to lend a helping hand. If you don't want to help, fine, but please don't reply with a poorly shrouded dose of sarcasm and patronization. I understand that there is a problem with my VTEC...most likely with the ECU, but I was hoping that someone could let me know how I could narrow down the problem so as to avoid spending unnecessary amounts of money. Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not bad
unfortunately i cant help you with your problem. Sorry.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first step.........check the VTEC silinoid located to the left of the head towards the intake manifold, make sure nothings broke obviously......
Old 08-12-2004, 02:25 PM

Default Re: (Bseriescivic5)

Checked the wiring harness ground on the thermostat and it looked fine. I also looked into the solenoid issue some more. I checked the wiring harness going into the VTEC pressure switch and it had the correct voltages and resistance. The two pins on the switch itself, however, would not show any resistance between them (which I believe is a bad thing). I also checked the single wire from solenoid and it was supposed to give a voltage somewhere between 13 and 30. It was not giving me any reading. I'm going to try another multimeter before I start buying parts, but I was just wondering if anyone had any more input. Is it normal for either of these parts to fail? Anyone have any experience with similar problems? If the pressure switch did die, would that cause my car to sputter and cut out like it did?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:28 PM

Default Re: (cpull32)

just to comment...good luck and bump...also...revolver for some reason has the tendency to be ever so sweet to ppl in need of some kind of techie help
Old 08-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cpull32 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Very insightful Revolver. Thank you. The code (as I had already posted) is P1259 - VTEC Malfunction. I would absolutely LOVE to "fix the problem", but mechanically inclined though I may be, I'm not entirely versed on the inner-workings of cars...which brings me to asking for help here. I don't study cars all day long, so I turn to those of you with expertise to lend a helping hand. If you don't want to help, fine, but please don't reply with a poorly shrouded dose of sarcasm and patronization. I understand that there is a problem with my VTEC...most likely with the ECU, but I was hoping that someone could let me know how I could narrow down the problem so as to avoid spending unnecessary amounts of money. Thank you in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this for me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For a n00b, you have great grammar and you get straight to the point. I think you just made your first pwn4g3 here on Honda-Tech.

Check all connections to the VTEC solenoid. Check all grounds. Check of you have sufficient oil distribution.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm, you should definatly have voltage on the pressure wire, should be 12 volts.....definatly not good..........umm but i dont see of it would make your car sputter out.....im stumped.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (Bseriescivic5)

Oil level is good - I popped the entire VTEC solenoid off the block and there was fresh oil in it and the filter wasn't clogged. I made sure all grounds and connections were clean and unbroken on and around the solenoid. I don't know what else to think except go to a junkyard and pull a solenoid and pressure switch and try it out. AHHHHH!!! AND I'M SUPPOSED TO GO TO CLEVELAND TOMORROW FOR THE FLUGTAG!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: (cpull32)

Was I being harsh? Maybe. Did he own me? No. Yes I am usually kinda mean to new people or even elite because they dont follow the rules. I'm not saying this guy didnt but sh*t, they never search or make any effort to get the answer for themselves. I dont need to say anything, they own themselves and its obvious. Just because he's new here doesnt mean that he automatically has bad grammar, some people did go to school.....Get a sense of humor and cool off people. Good luck, I hope someone can help you with your problem. (sorry to hijack the thread)