Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec engages at 4k and car wont rev to redline??? help asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec engages at 4k and car wont rev to redline??? help asap

ok i have a b16a2 in my 95 hatch and all of a sudden the car is acting funney like now vtec is engaging at 4k and wont rev past 6k and then somtimes the vtec will engage at 5200 and then iot wont rev past 7.5k i really need to figure this out asap so any pointers will be appreciated..
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What ECU is running this motor?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

jdm p30 aqand i have tried another p30 that i know works and it did the same thing
Old 02-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very strange. First things that come to mind to me are...
Timing
Ignition
and
Proper fuel delivery.

As for VTEC engaging randomly, i would suspect at first that it would be an ECU related problem, but if both ECUs are causing the same thing, the problem may lie in the wiring.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, was VTEC wired in by hand, or was it already part of the harness?
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could the car not getting enough fuel cause it to not red line?? i turnd my fpr all the way down cause it was getting way to much fuel>>as for the wiring my car came fact with vtec so there was no wiring done..
Old 02-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i turned my regulater up and the car wants to bog all the time so im going to turn it back down
Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91tegrals)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i turned my regulater up and the car wants to bog all the time so im going to turn it back down</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds to me that you dont know anything of what your doing with your fuel system, and should either seek proffesional assistance, or reinstall the stock components of your fuel system.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok dick head i know wat the expletive im doing im just seeking advice but apparentlly you have no clue either i had the stock **** on it and it ran lean as expletive and would just buck anything over 4k..here is a run down of wat im running..

b16a2
68mm tb
ported aebs mani
generic header
full 2.5 exaughst
the injectors are out of my d15z1 cause they were the only obd1 injectors i had
i was told long before that b&d series injectors are the same so im guessing thats not the prob..now im starting to think that turning up the fuel pressure is wats causing it to bog now but as for the other probs i think the timing may be off a little..i changed the hg a month ago and to be honest with you im not the best at timing vtec motors i can do non vtec but it seems b16s have me beat..now with that being said if you have any usefull info please post up..
Old 02-16-2008, 08:01 PM

try checking the vtec solenoid it could be messin with ya take it off and check it out clean it up
Old 02-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that was going to be the next thing i did thanks for being hepfull...
Old 02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

easy with the language...lets keep this on topic
Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wat language?? and i am keeping this on topic
Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">easy with the language...lets keep this on topic</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat language?? and i am keeping this on topic</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok dick head i know wat the expletive im doing im just seeking advice but apparentlly you have no clue either i had the stock **** on it and it ran lean as expletive and would just buck anything over 4k....</TD></TR></TABLE>

That language

From the things you have listed, it sounds like you should take it to a tuning shop.
I ran into bucking and hesitation around 4k RPM at one time, but it had to do with VTEC not working correctly and a faulty MAP sensor. Are those things in working order? If those arent the issue, i would look into the timing of the motor.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well honestlly i would rather work on it myself cause all the import shops around here will charge you and arm and a leg and i am throwing codes and one is the 02 but before and it ran fine i have a 5 wire 02 and need to convert it to a 4 wire...but hey thanks for the help its just all the years i have been on here and i get tired of smart *** kids that dont even work on there own cars...
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well honestlly i would rather work on it myself cause all the import shops around here will charge you and arm and a leg and i am throwing codes and one is the 02 but before and it ran fine i have a 5 wire 02 and need to convert it to a 4 wire...but hey thanks for the help its just all the years i have been on here and i get tired of smart *** kids that dont even work on there own cars...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ive dealt with allot of issues before. Feel free to PM me if you want to see any of the work Ive done. An 02 sensor shouldnt affect the revving of the motor at all, BUT, without an 02 sensor, your ECU will automatically throw in more fuel, running it richer than normal because it isnt getting a signal on how much fuel is being burned. That along with an adjustable FPR would certainly give you issues with getting the correct fuel input. Thing is tho, unless your fuel is drastically adjusted (way too little or way too much), the rev's should proceed as normal. As i had mentioned before, check the timing of the motor. As for the erratic VTEC engagment, that sounds along the lines of a faulty ground or frayed wire somewhere if two different ECU's produced the same result for you.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM

I hate to say it, but im with the other kid. Im not confident you know what you're doing. Take the vaccum line off of your fpr and set the fpr to factory settings, they will be listed in your repair manual. As far as setting cam timing it will be the same on any dual cam motor, just like the marks up ha.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dragonfly2k3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragonfly2k3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate to say it, but im with the other kid. Im not confident you know what you're doing. Take the vaccum line off of your fpr and set the fpr to factory settings, they will be listed in your repair manual. As far as setting cam timing it will be the same on any dual cam motor, just like the marks up ha. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A little late on the response, issue has already been addressed.
It may not be fuel related.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragonfly2k3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate to say it, but im with the other kid. Im not confident you know what you're doing. Take the vaccum line off of your fpr and set the fpr to factory settings, they will be listed in your repair manual. As far as setting cam timing it will be the same on any dual cam motor, just like the marks up ha. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ill be the first to say that i dont know everything but i know my fair share and have a;ways done my own work and i have had several swaped cars and turboed cars also and all built by me but most of them were non vtec cars..my car runs good it just has a few probs that i will work out i was just asking for some pointers not rude *** comments....
Old 02-19-2008, 07:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91tegrals &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ill be the first to say that i dont know everything but i know my fair share and have a;ways done my own work and i have had several swaped cars and turboed cars also and all built by me but most of them were non vtec cars..my car runs good it just has a few probs that i will work out i was just asking for some pointers not rude *** comments....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do not feel that i was being rude, without a proper tune it is never wise to adjust the fp away from stock.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the only reason i upped the preesurewas because the stock fpr wasnt giving the motor enough fuel..
Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragonfly2k3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do not feel that i was being rude, without a proper tune it is never wise to adjust the fp away from stock. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is true to an extent, but with the parts listed, unless the motor is getting a gross amount of gas (or way too little), the rev's should not be limited.

Too much gas and you would see (and smell) black smoke coming out your exhaust.
Too little gas and the motor would lean out as the RPMs rise, causing the motor to hesitate and die off as it goes higher.

The OP's problem is erratic VTEC engagment. He already remedied the fuel issue to the best of his ability. Im fairly certain he has the fuel issue under his control.
Although, it would help to have an Air/Fuel meter, even the cheap-o ones, to get an idea and keep an eye on whats going on as far as fuel combustion goes.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

Yes. I am with you on the bad wiring/ground. The other thing i thought was possibly a bad vtec solenoid. To the OP, try adding a hardwire straight from the solenoid to the ECU plug(just tap it in, see if it becomes more consistent) Also add a hardwired ground from the solenoid straight to ground.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ill try that