Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vtec on at all times HOW??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:37 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vtec on at all times HOW??

my motor is a d15b it is the vtec-e. I want to keep all my valves opened since it is equivalent to having a non vtec motor when vtec is engaged, can some one show me how to do this. I know that there is a pin somewhere that moves into a slot. how can i manually do this. thank you guys for any help.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: vtec on at all times HOW?? (mustang5.slow)

Hook the wire that goes to pin A4 (at least I think it's A4) on the ECU to a constant power supply source.

That's the solenoid power wire - charge that, it'll engage VTEC. Fine idea for VTEC-E.

Though I'm pretty sure the JDM D15bs are 3 stage VTEC which have VTEC-E and VTEC and I'm not sure if they use 2 solenoids or what. Someobody else can pick up there. I don't have much exp w/ the JDM D15b.

Unless ur talking about the D15Z1?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: vtec on at all times HOW?? (Syndacate)

my ECU isn't compatible with vtec, can i just run cables from the solenoid plug to like a power supply source??? how would i do this.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my ECU isn't compatible with vtec, can i just run cables from the solenoid plug to like a power supply source??? how would i do this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends...

Like I said, I'm not sure how the solenoid works on 3 stage VTEC motors.

If you're using VTEC-E then it doesn't matter - just plug the wire into a constant power source lead and it'll use all the valves, all the time.

3 stage VTEC uses VTEC-E AND normal VTEC. I'm not sure how that works - if it uses 2 solenoids or a special solenoid, or what, I'm not sure.

Though which engine you have is important, b/c if it's a Z1 you can just hardwire the solenoid wire into a constant power supply and it'll always be running all valves. It will do the same on a 3 stage VTEC setup, but if it uses the solenoid on the same wire (which I don't see how that's possible), it'll also dump you into normal VTEC which will make you run like ****.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you talking about the jdm d15b? If it is, it's a vtec not vtec-e.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: vtec on at all times HOW?? (Syndacate)

First off this is a dumb idea because if honda engines were suppose to have VTEC on at all times then they would have made it like that. If you run VTEC at all times you well loose torque along with alot of horsepower. Second, if your ecu isnt compatible with then you cant activate VTEC.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: vtec on at all times HOW?? (Luserkid)

ok every one i efin know my car is vtec-e it just said that when i bought the ****. and for the wise cracker my engine with vtec-e engaged runs exactly like a normal 16 valve motor so just answer the question on how to manually keep this on, or gtfo. please no more actin like i don't know what i bought.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

listen to luserkid, i heard he can hook up an engine swap.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:39 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (instrument)

k'mon guys seriously. just let me know. thanks.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (mustang5.slow)

What ECU are you running? Having VTEC-E engaged all the time is the same as having VTEC engaged. If you absolutly want to do this have your VTEC wire connected straight to a batt.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok every one i efin know my car is vtec-e it just said that when i bought the ****. and for the wise cracker my engine with vtec-e engaged runs exactly like a normal 16 valve motor so just answer the question on how to manually keep this on, or gtfo. please no more actin like i don't know what i bought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

first off dont be a dick for people trying to tell you the right thing.

and if you know how to check a solenoid, you know how to make it stay on all the time.

i would tell you but your rude and will tell me to "GTFO"
Old 03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: vtec on at all times HOW?? (MR.johnson)

i only said tha because every time i ask something about vtec-e people tend to treat me like i dont know what i'm talking about.... and come to think of it i do know how to check it ithink it requires a spoon. right guy???
Old 03-13-2007, 09:00 PM
* B A N N E D *

thanks guys i'll connet it to the batt. and come back with feedback.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 PM
* B A N N E D *

OMG the car is running great with the solenoid connected to the batt. its soooooo much better. thanx to every one on honda-tech

*syndacate** the firm believer.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

what can i connet it to other than the battery. if it's connected to the battery will it drain it???
Old 03-13-2007, 09:31 PM

probly
you would need to look at the wiring diagram for the ecu plugs and could grab power off there. but i really hate electrical work so could some one else pitch in
Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (eg8tuner)

cneck it out guys Im thinkin of hooking my whire to my tac's shift light to make it turn on when i want it to, cause for the take off it really slows it down.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel like punchin myself in the face for reading this more than Once.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:44 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (ifIexplode)

lol.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i feel like punchin myself in the face for reading this more than Once. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 03-13-2007, 09:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what can i connet it to other than the battery. if it's connected to the battery will it drain it???</TD></TR></TABLE> Naw, if anything you'll just drain the VTEC fluid(aka PIMP JUICE) outta your VTEC Solenoid.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cneck it out guys Im thinkin of hooking my whire to my tac's shift light to make it turn on when i want it to, cause for the take off it really slows it down.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah, thats pretty much what HONDA did, they beat you to it. The only difference is that they know what the *** theyre talkin about and set it at a certain RPM..........you on the other hand................ <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ifIexplode &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i feel like punchin myself in the face for reading this more than Once. </TD></TR></TABLE>X2
Old 03-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mustang5.slow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cneck it out guys Im thinkin of hooking my whire to my tac's shift light to make it turn on when i want it to, cause for the take off it really slows it down.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i might be restating what already was said..but am i the only one confused here...ummmm if you dont want vtec engaged at take off because it slows down...why didnt you just leave it at its normal engage point since thats probably when ur gonna flip the switch anyways....im really confused right now...

but if oyu absolutely want to do that be my guest..bring back some results cause im kinda curious....
Old 03-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Ok I stole this from Wikipedia, but its how I understand VTEC-E too

"SOHC VTEC-E
Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimising performance at high RPM, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPM. At low RPM, one of the two intake valves is only allowed to open a very small amount, increasing the fuel/air atomization in the cylinder and thus allowing a leaner mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture. A sliding pin, which is pressured by oil, as in the regular VTEC, is used to connect both valves together and allows the full opening of the second valve."

So be enabling the solenoid all the time your engine will be working like a normal 16 valve car at lower revs.

So IMHO enabling it at lower revs is kinda a waste of time. The best thing to do would be get a vtec controller and do it that way, you can have much more control over it.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (crossbones)

yeah you might want to reconsider connecting it directly to the battery. you will be constantly grounded which means that your solenoid will stay open even with the car off and you WILL drain your battery.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 AM

Default Re: (monicle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MR.johnson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

first off dont be a dick for people trying to tell you the right thing.

and if you know how to check a solenoid, you know how to make it stay on all the time.

i would tell you but your rude and will tell me to "GTFO" </TD></TR></TABLE>
x356346435646
im sorry you had to make a post about this, good thing it wasnt common sense or anything
Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (Ssaacckkeedd)

great job man.. very creative and intelligent response the the issue of lack of power with a 100hp engine.

think this will get you into the 16's ?

ill son. keep tuning.

Quick Reply: vtec on at all times HOW??