Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTEC ain't crackin

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC ain't crackin

I got a d16z6 with a p08 d15b head and ive always been able to hear VTEC engage, lately I haven't heard it engage in a while. I just recently changed my oil, its not low, and I get no CEL's, could someone help me find out what my problem might be? Could it be the VTEC solenoid?
Old 07-31-2008, 05:28 PM

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (CapnKrunch)

Crackin?

Test the solenoid and see!
Old 07-31-2008, 06:17 PM

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (iluvmy2000civicex)

thats good its not crackin on a sohc you shouldnt be able to hear it that means something is wrong
Old 08-01-2008, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (superfast666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iluvmy2000civicex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Crackin?

Test the solenoid and see!</TD></TR></TABLE>

How do I do that?
Old 08-01-2008, 05:51 AM

Could be multiple problems, not enough oil pressure, not reaching operating temps, not enough vaccum being built or you have an air pocket or something stuck in your screens on the vtec solenoid or it just has to be bled.

Not joking about bleeding the Vtec solenoid either, I've explained it soo many times that I've got pictures and everything saved lol. It always works.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (one bad dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one bad dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could be multiple problems, not enough oil pressure, not reaching operating temps, not enough vaccum being built or you have an air pocket or something stuck in your screens on the vtec solenoid or it just has to be bled.

Not joking about bleeding the Vtec solenoid either, I've explained it soo many times that I've got pictures and everything saved lol. It always works. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't enable him. I can almost guarantee it's working fine, he just expects more.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Don't enable him. I can almost guarantee it's working fine, he just expects more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

True true. I remember the sohc days, I bought a hatch that had a d16z6 in it that was cammed with every bolt on and tuned and you could barely hear the crossover.......**** was WEAK!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one bad dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

True true. I remember the sohc days, I bought a hatch that had a d16z6 in it that was cammed with every bolt on and tuned and you could barely hear the crossover.......**** was WEAK!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Weak, but kick-*** gas mileage. Also, compared to other naturally aspirated engines of its size, it's not too weak.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Weak, but kick-*** gas mileage. Also, compared to other naturally aspirated engines of its size, it's not too weak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great point!! I always wanted to do a D15b Vtec (JDM) just to rock a 1.5 that belted out 130hp lol. But maybe time will allow that. The LSD tranny would be fun too.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one bad dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Great point!! I always wanted to do a D15b Vtec (JDM) just to rock a 1.5 that belted out 130hp lol. But maybe time will allow that. The LSD tranny would be fun too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if you put it in perspective, the KA24DE (1st generation altimas and 240sx) is a 2.4L engine that puts down 150hp. It drops down a lot more torque than civic due to the displacement, but that's a whole .8L larger, and only puts down 20 more peak hp.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:04 AM

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (iluvmy2000civicex)

oil?
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM

Well if you put it in perspective, the KA24DE (1st generation altimas and 240sx) is a 2.4L engine that puts down 150hp. It drops down a lot more torque than civic due to the displacement, but that's a whole .8L larger, and only puts down 20 more peak hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, or my Subaru 2.5 that puts out like 160. A whole 1.0ltr of displacement that turns out a whole 25 more hp.......God I hate my Subaru!!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (Oh, hi.)

I've experienced the same thing, I dont have any CEL's, good oil pressure, plenty of oil, but I did a Y8 swap and that sensor that is white and has a long little pole coming out of it ( I think thats the IAT ) doesnt have a hookup anymore on the y8 could that stop Vtec from engaging ? Also how could I bleed the solenoid or check to see if its crossing over into vtec ?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '03 Lancer OZ Rally has a 2.0L, guess the whp? not even in the triple digits! D@mn these are some pieces...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blk92_d16)

Can someone tell me how to bleed the solenoid ? It was mentioned on this thread. I figured out that the IAT sensor from my Z6 was causing the CEL I plugged it in the harness and it took the CEL away, but its not connected to the intake mani cause the Y8's used the IAT on the intake tube. Is this going to prevent vtec from engaging or hurting performance. So far I havent noticed any difference from the IAT being plugged or unplugged only diff is there is no CEL now.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ACE_94EG)

You cannot bleed the solenoid you have to ground it and put power on the sensor to see if it engages and moves. easy way to know it it turns on is to build a sensor light it will tell you if it turns on.

Basically you are going to get a light and ground it in the car and put an attached wire from the lead power wire on the solenoid. when the power turns on the solenoid so will the light. Some people do this because the single cam vtech is so quiet you cant hear it.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrcvc93)

Hmm, so what kind of wire should I use to run from the positive terminal to the solenoid to see if it "clicks" . Also do I just touch wire with power to the solenoid plug ?
Old 08-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it could be solenoid, open it up and see if it's clogged.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (yoontim23)

So I would just unbolt the solenoid from the head, inspect it and clean it using carb cleaner or something of that nature. And then just bolt it back on, is it a straight forward removal and instalation ?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Re: VTEC ain't crackin (ACE_94EG)

It's more indepth than that. If it is infact the IAT that is unable to be connected then the ECU is sensing that the engine is never at operational temperature or that your not building enough vaccum to even have VTEC crossover. But then again if it is or isnt I'm not sure.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damnit !! You're right, that sounds like a good reason. So along with the temp the IAT also senses vaccum also ? Well the IAT is zip tied agains the firwall right now behind the mani, I guess it prob gets hot back there but no telling if thats the correct temp for vtec crossover. Does anybody else ever have this problem ? I'am certainly not the first guy to swap a Y8 mani on a Z6 !!

Is there a way I can have the ECU flashed to always allow vtec at the right rpm ? Or just have it flashed to allow vtec without the IAT ??? If so how can I do this ?

Also do you know what that black sensor is that sits on the top of the mani on a Z6 and its all the way to the right with a vaccum line in it. I dont know what it is but the Y8 doesnt have one, so mine is disconnected.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:29 PM
H-T White Ops

sounds like you have a lot of **** disconnected that should possibly be hooked up.
Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check all the vtec wire
Old 08-02-2008, 04:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACE_94EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Damnit !! You're right, that sounds like a good reason. So along with the temp the IAT also senses vaccum also ? Well the IAT is zip tied agains the firwall right now behind the mani, I guess it prob gets hot back there but no telling if thats the correct temp for vtec crossover. Does anybody else ever have this problem ? I'am certainly not the first guy to swap a Y8 mani on a Z6 !!

Is there a way I can have the ECU flashed to always allow vtec at the right rpm ? Or just have it flashed to allow vtec without the IAT ??? If so how can I do this ?

Also do you know what that black sensor is that sits on the top of the mani on a Z6 and its all the way to the right with a vaccum line in it. I dont know what it is but the Y8 doesnt have one, so mine is disconnected.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can have the ECU flashed yes but I dont think that's the way you want to solve the problem. Why not swap an OBD-1 intake manifold on it to hook up to your harness or get the correct harness to hook up to the manifold?

What is the car you have, year/make and model and also some further details on this engine you have. I'm trying to figure this out and these are some crucial details. Also, what ECU are you running.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:25 AM

[<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACE_94EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also do you know what that black sensor is that sits on the top of the mani on a Z6 and its all the way to the right with a vaccum line in it. I dont know what it is but the Y8 doesnt have one, so mine is disconnected.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe your referring to the Purge Solenoid Valve, that's used for emissions and has nothing to do with the equasion.

Quick Reply: VTEC ain't crackin