Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vortech Spool?

Old 07-06-2003, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortech Spool?

I am going with the vortech kit and would like to know at about what RPM does the kit start to spool at? Also with the stock BOV how does it sound, loud? The car is not going to be a daily driver car but with this kit the times I do drive it how is the kit and car on gas? Also I have a list of mods below that i am going to get with the kit and want to make sure that I need all of the stuff listed below. I am new to the honda / S/C scene so any help would be great.

Vortech Supercharger Kit
SKUNK2 INTAKE MANIFOLD
SKUNK2 CAM GEARS
AEM Fuel rail
GREDDY FUEL INJECTORS
Crower Rods
JE Pistons
Greddy Headers and greddy evo cat-back

Thanks again.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:07 PM
senior gold member

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (icantthinkofaname)

why not just get a turbo? the vortech kit is consisted of a centrifugal(sp) supercharger. IMO the same thing as a turbo. And the vortech is more. I haven't seen any good dynos of vortech cars.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (Ivan)

Turbo's r more strain on the motor right? If I am going to do that then I have to bore and sleeve or just sleeve to hold the boost. I can run the kit on stock boost but after so long your going to want to turn that damn thing up and see what you can make. I am trying to find the more effective and reliable boost for the car.

Thanks for the input

p.s. is it just me or after a few posts and replys it will not allow you till like 24 hours?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm...im not quite sure, but since its a s/c i think its instantaneous. because the SC is pully driven. an not exhaust driven. so yeah.

EDIT: just wait 15-20 days i think. and then u can post all you want.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:34 PM
senior gold member

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (JUN EK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUN EK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm...im not quite sure, but since its a s/c i think its instantaneous. because the SC is pully driven. an not exhaust driven. so yeah.

EDIT: just wait 15-20 days i think. and then u can post all you want.</TD></TR></TABLE>not true because theres different type of superchargers. theres centrifugal and the other type which I forgot the name for. centrifugal superchargers are alot like turbos in which they have turbo lag. they need time to spool up. superchargers like roots type(jackson racing) spool instantanous.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:35 PM
senior gold member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by icantthinkofaname &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo's r more strain on the motor right? If I am going to do that then I have to bore and sleeve or just sleeve to hold the boost. I can run the kit on stock boost but after so long your going to want to turn that damn thing up and see what you can make. I am trying to find the more effective and reliable boost for the car.

Thanks for the input

p.s. is it just me or after a few posts and replys it will not allow you till like 24 hours?</TD></TR></TABLE>any forced induction is a strain on the motor.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:46 PM

I understand that but is a supercharger as bad as a turbo? b/c supercharger is running with the motor?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to say they are the same. Forced induction is forced induction.
Old 07-06-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

technically superchargers are harder on the motor because of warmer air (jackson racing) and the fact that they run off a pulley. vortech = because you have the parasitic loss of a supercharger, and the lag of a turbo. so if you want a supercharger get jackson racing and if you want a turbo get a turbo
Old 07-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (Chris y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if you want a turbo get a turbo </TD></TR></TABLE> LMAO

Nicely said

Old 07-06-2003, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say you should still go with the Vortech. It still has many benefits that a turbo doesn't: much longer life, CARB legal in most cases, no boost spikes, easy tuning. My friends has a Vortech on his stang and has not had a single problem with it, if you are set on a S/C you should definitely get it.
Old 07-06-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to talk Vortechs with someone who has one on a Honda, talk to SiRacer over at clubsi.com. He's also on here but under a different name; I think it's ClubSiRacer or something like that. He has a lot of experience with the Vortech on his B16.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (Daniel)

Thanks alot guys for the input. Yea i tried to sign up at clubsi as well but its kinda stupid b/c u have to wait to get approved and i have been waiting like 3 days so i guess i have to wait longer.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah clubsi has gotten gay, i remember when it used to be cool back in like 95.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (gsr_vx_wOOt!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr_vx_wOOt! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. My friends has a Vortech on his stang .</TD></TR></TABLE>
2totally diffmotors. id never supercharge such a small motor..
Old 07-06-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (drunknbass)

I didn't compare the two, I only said he has no problems with it, I was only referring to vortechs build quality maybe you should reread it?
Old 07-06-2003, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (Chris y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">technically superchargers are harder on the motor because of warmer air (jackson racing) and the fact that they run off a pulley. vortech = because you have the parasitic loss of a supercharger, and the lag of a turbo. so if you want a supercharger get jackson racing and if you want a turbo get a turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

How does a Vortech S/C have the lag like a turbo. Turbo lag is the time when you aren't making any boost. With a vortech blower you'll get boost immediately because its belt driven and your trade off being the fact that its belt driven gives you the parasitic drag. IMO the vortech is a great unit that has its place, just like the jackson racing and just like turbo setups.
Old 07-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (gsr_vx_wOOt!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr_vx_wOOt! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't compare the two, I only said he has no problems with it, I was only referring to vortechs build quality maybe you should reread it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a 300 pound barbell that i have never had a problem with, but im not about to put it in my car
Old 07-06-2003, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Vortech Spool? (hoggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hoggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How does a Vortech S/C have the lag like a turbo. Turbo lag is the time when you aren't making any boost. With a vortech blower you'll get boost immediately because its belt driven and your trade off being the fact that its belt driven gives you the parasitic drag. IMO the vortech is a great unit that has its place, just like the jackson racing and just like turbo setups.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you look at a vortech it looks just like a turbo. its about the same size. it take a few seconds for your motor to get up to speed for it to work fully. where a jackson is much begger and able to produce boost much much faster.

I would not worry much about heat unless ur at the track because ur gunna get heat at the track no matter what ur running. on the street at least with the jackson (not sure about vortech) there is a bypass so your not boosting.when ur just cruzen...

the bov sound with the vortech is more or constant pushhhhhhhhhh vs. a quick release from a turbo bov. it is loud as hell on the scca nsx with vortech but not sure how it will sound on your car....