Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Voiding Warranty? (searched)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voiding Warranty? (searched)

I have a 00 Si with a Honda Certified Used warranty that I had a couple questions about. I can't really go to the dealer for these, so I'm hoping someone on here knows...

My question is what exactly will void my warranty? I've had my car in for warranty services twice since I bought it last December, and I'd like to keep my warranty. I ordered drop springs and strut bars, and I'm going to order rims today as well as exhaust possibley (Apex'i WS). I'm also going to get a header (Arospeed or DC) and a high-flow cat (Carsound). Will any or all of this void my warranty? Or am I going to have to take all of this off whenever I go to a dealer for service. :crrok: Thanks
Old 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (lax1185)

If you want to keep your warranty don't do anything. Imagine the pain in the *** it would be to remove your header to put your stock manifold on just for service.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (JRI94)

it also depends on the dealer.. and lease agreement. Check with them, but if your going to become a "tuner" then you can live without the service checks. Chances are they won't even give to *****. If you touch the engine itself.. maybe..
Old 06-03-2004, 05:05 AM

I believe, (not sure) as long as the product your buying for the vehicle improves the item your replacing, its ok. But of course different states/dealerships have different contracts that state their specific requirements on warranties. Just check your fine print on your warranty and you should be ok
Old 06-03-2004, 05:20 AM

As I understand the law, IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), your warranty will will remain in effect provided none of the aftermarket changes you make to the vehicle cause damage.

For instance, if you change you exhaust and the fuel pump goes out, the fuel pump will still be covered. But if you put high compression pistons in and blow a head gasket, you are on your own.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (mct121)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mct121 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As I understand the law, IANAL (I Am Not A Lawyer), your warranty will will remain in effect provided none of the aftermarket changes you make to the vehicle cause damage.

For instance, if you change you exhaust and the fuel pump goes out, the fuel pump will still be covered. But if you put high compression pistons in and blow a head gasket, you are on your own.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smart noob. J/P

Thats excatly what the fine print in my warrenty says, it doesnt cover wear down parts say, brakes, suspension,exhaust,clutch,belts...... and it says if the modification causes the problem then it wont cover it.

Actually when i went in for a ripped CV boot and they gave me a little **** about it being lowered, then said that they didnt have to say anything, last time i went in i met one of the techs, hes got a nice swapped civic, so i think ill have him work on my car when i take it to the stealership.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (C00SI)

It should state in that warranty book that came with your car what is covered and what is not covered. If you change things that are coverd, then obviously they wont be covered. But they could also hit you with "Well see you put on this aftermarket intake and exhaust, so they most likely caused your head gasket to blow so we wont cover it."
So find out from them.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (Djaric)

magnuson moss act is sposed to protect you from voiding warranty.

http://www.north-american-lubr...t.htm
http://www.ravelco.net/magnusonmossact.htm
Old 06-03-2004, 08:19 AM
New User

Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (JRI94)

unfortunatly, I agree with this. the stealership doesnt want to do anything for FREE, and warranty work to them is like getting paid 1/3rd of the real money, which comes out of YOUR pocket.

a friend of mine is going thru this right now, he has a 2000 ITR, he hasnt done ANYTHING to it except change the tires in the front to BFG drag radials. he's been beating the crap out of this car since he got it, he's young, and its his first car, (lucky bastard, my first car was a 1978 volvo), anyways, he mis-shifted from 3rd to 2nd-instead of 4th and caught it, but I bent all his valves. the dealer is calling foul becuz he has BFG drag radials on the front. now we're in a battle to get warranty to cover it.

it seems that warranty will cover it, in writing, but its a gray area on how to prove how it happens, with the BFGs on the car, its 'assumed' to be raced all the time, and well, thats true. also, the dealership wants 750 bucks in labor just to take the head off and do an estimate of the damage. that is non-warrantied, they have some way to go around the warranty, so you gotta pay anyways, for 750 bucks, you can have the head completely rebuilt with new springs, retainers.

that warranty **** they sell you at the stealership is a bunch of crap, it makes you feel 'secure' but is really just a way to get you to pay an xtra 1500 or so bucks for nothing. I mean, what are the ODDS of having you blow your motor under normal driving conditions, of having your tranny 3rd gear to go out, its nearly impossible, under NORMAL conditions. but anyone here on honda-tech, we arent normal in any ways.

so if ANYTHIng happens to your car, be prepared to but it back to BONE stock, dont give them ANY reason not to use the warranty, becuz they will go thru your car, and try to find ANY reason not to do the work.

good luck
Old 06-03-2004, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Voiding Warranty? (tilt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tilt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">magnuson moss act is sposed to protect you from voiding warranty.

http://www.north-american-lubr...t.htm
http://www.ravelco.net/magnusonmossact.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats good ****.

I did some investigating and found that my car is not covered under Honda warrenty, its a diffrent company,i cant recall the name right now but i bought it from Toyota when i bought my Civic there.

I was told to bring my car to Honda and they told me they charge that company for the repairs, im glad i have a friend @ the Honda dealership now.