Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vis hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vis hood

I have a VIS hood that i bought.

The purpose was to save weight! But this thing weighs a ton.

Has any one removed the shell from underneeth the hood to save weight?

Will it save much?

This hood WILL be used with hood pins.

Good or bad idea.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Vis hood (Distant B)

I'd keep it as is because you need some weight up front. You're a front wheel drive car, point being... better traction your launch is 70+% of the race.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vis hood (todaspecsi)

I don't think weight in the front has any to do with traction. If the weight is a issue then why all the drag cars use fiber glass one piece front end......

Don't give false information to people, if you don't know the answer.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which hood is it? I have the OEM style VIS one and it's noticably lighter than the factory one.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:02 AM
New User

Default Re: Vis hood (IDriveAHonda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IDriveAHonda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which hood is it? I have the OEM style VIS one and it's noticably lighter than the factory one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

heck yah...the same here.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Distant B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a VIS hood that i bought.

The purpose was to save weight! But this thing weighs a ton.

Has any one removed the shell from underneeth the hood to save weight?

Will it save much?

This hood WILL be used with hood pins.

Good or bad idea. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you search under "vis" in archives, you'll find a couple of pages of information and personal experiences with VIS cf hoods, their weight, fitment, etc. Kind of a well known fact that they don't shave much weight at all, they're just for show.
You could cut the skeleton out, but it's going to start to get flimsy, you probably won't be able to use the hood prop any more.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by todaspecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd keep it as is because you need some weight up front. You're a front wheel drive car, point being... better traction your launch is 70+% of the race.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He should sell the VIS hood and get a one made out of wrought iron for more traction. That's what the pro's are doing now.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vis hood (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He should sell the VIS hood and get a one made out of wrought iron for more traction. That's what the pro's are doing now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I did y0!! I also got a stamped Iron one for the track days!! Seriously though, the VIS hoods are going to be heavier than some of the others because of how they are made. Should have looked into that before you dropped the money on it. If you really want to save some weight up front check out this thread. Cheap and effective

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=695215
Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vis hood (Ricey McRicerton)

Well i thought this could a win - win.

I bought the hood for cheap because the clear was cracked. I am going to fix it up with some fiber glass filler and paint the hood.

I wanted a VIS because of good fit. For light weight my plan was to cut the skeleton.

I just wanted to get some views befor i choped it up.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:42 PM
xbB

If you want to get a light hood, just sell the VIS.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Distant B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i thought this could a win - win.

I bought the hood for cheap because the clear was cracked. I am going to fix it up with some fiber glass filler and paint the hood.

I wanted a VIS because of good fit. For light weight my plan was to cut the skeleton.

I just wanted to get some views befor i choped it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I had a CRX I cut the skeleton out of the stock hood, and it was super flimsy, but it did drop some weight off of it. With the VIS hood, seems like the reinforcements are such thin fiberglass, that they won't add up to much, but it's just guess.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Vis hood (Jun)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think weight in the front has any to do with traction. If the weight is a issue then why all the drag cars use fiber glass one piece front end......

Don't give false information to people, if you don't know the answer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

In theory weight in the front does matter on front wheel drive cars because you have more weight pushing down on your tires for better traction. Drags cars are equipped with some sort of LSD which provides them with tons of traction.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by todaspecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In theory weight in the front does matter on front wheel drive cars because you have more weight pushing down on your tires for better traction. Drags cars are equipped with some sort of LSD which provides them with tons of traction.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LSD?? What's that thing?? I just rely on the traction faries and my boyish good looks to help me out!