Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid...

any-1 sporting the del sol vis carbon fiber trunk lid?

im curious as to the fitment, quality etc'

ive had a vis hood for sometime now and am debating between just having my stock trunk lid repaired/repainted and install my mugen replica spoiler or doing a cf trunk lid and installing the spoiler on that'.....big thing for me is fitment, if it dosnt fit oem im not gonna waste my time or money'

but my hood from vis has held up over the years and was great quality'
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (digital sol)

top'
Old 03-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you want to spend 500 on a pointless mod just for looks? IMO, i would just get your OEM trunk fixed at a body shop for less or even pick one up at a junkyard and have them color match it. I think either of those two options would be cheaper than buying one, especially if you are going to buy it online and have it shipped for 100+. Either way, shipped or pick-up i still can't justify spending 500 on a cf trunk... just my .02
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well thats ur 0.02.

I think it would look good. what color is the car?

If its worth the money to you then go for it!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Malakai)

if it helps any, my recently purchased vis hood fits and looks like crap. look into seibon b/c my vis looks horrible and they have horrible customer service.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dad0c402)

my car is captiva blue pearl with gunmetal wheels and blue.black.carbon interior, and black exterior accents

the carbon trunk would have a painted mugen replcia spoiler on it, and mugen front

carbon trunk would cost the same after all said and done then fixing the stock trunk and i dont believe any-1 has ever done a mugen spoiler on a carbon trunk before, i was thinking the carbon lid would look nice and clean and the mugen spoiler on top would make it look pretty bitch'

my tails are black/red and my car is all black/blue accents with touches of carbon fiber

seibon dosnt make trunk lids for the del sol, only hoods, which is why i was just thinking of ordering everything through vis, hood, lid etc. Ive got a vis hood now and it fits great and looks great but has some scratches that cant be removed and the hood is going on 6 years old, figured id replace it while i can sense shipping wont b much extra to add a hood to the mix, so id have some fresh carbon components. I know fiber-images makes a cf lid as well but they no longer make the cf hood for the del sol and i didnt wanna mix and match carbon fiber weaves.

heres a photoshop of the mugen front installed:

currently how it sits:

ill be adding a mugen replica front bumper, jdm lower fogs and mugen replica spoiler either way, just debating on getting a fresh cf trunk lid or having the current one repaired and painted to mathc
Old 03-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (digital sol)

that'll look hott! blue and CF FTMFW!It's not VIS...was done by Versus motorpsorts(no longer made)

and to the guy that said it was purely for cosmetic purposes...it reduces the weight by at least 20-25 lbs(never weighed the stock one, but it took 2 people to hold/remove the stock trunk while I unbolted it...I was able to install it with only one person holding it and me putting the bolts in. Plus if your stock trunk is FUBARd, a CF one will be cheaper than most body shops would charge to repair/repaint the stock one
Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (broketuner-Sol_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-Sol_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that'll look hott! blue and CF FTMFW!It's not VIS...was done by Versus motorpsorts(no longer made)

and to the guy that said it was purely for cosmetic purposes...it reduces the weight by at least 20-25 lbs(never weighed the stock one, but it took 2 people to hold/remove the stock trunk while I unbolted it...I was able to install it with only one person holding it and me putting the bolts in. Plus if your stock trunk is FUBARd, a CF one will be cheaper than most body shops would charge to repair/repaint the stock one </TD></TR></TABLE>

Congrats... you just spent 400-500 dollars losing 25 lbs. Could have put that towards a gym member ship and had something that could actually benefit from.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Congrats... you just spent 400-500 dollars losing 25 lbs. Could have put that towards a gym member ship and had something that could actually benefit from. </TD></TR></TABLE>

already got/had one and I only paid 300, and like I said...it was cheaper than getting the stock one repaired...in my case 2 different boduyshops wanted anywhere from 375-550 pretty fucked up on your part to make a comment about someone's weight when you don't even know them though (even if it is true)
Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

your point against carbon fiber is vauge considering the circumstances

a) cf dosnt dent

b) cf dosnt rust

c) weighs less

d) due to my situation a cf lid will cost the same amount as it would to have my current lid repaired/painted and im not gonna buy a pos lid at a junkyard that would require just as much work to fix anyways

i understand where your coming from, but the point your offering dosnt apply in my circumstance, either way im spending that amount to have a clean, fixed lid or replace it with a cf lid
Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (digital sol)

if it were to cost as much to have someone fix it, then might as well go cf, just remember that cf parts aren't like what they use to be. They use to be made with a metal skeleton and now the hoods at least are made of FRP which btw resulted in my hideous underside that if i knew about would've never considered
Old 03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by broketuner-Sol_Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that'll look hott! blue and CF FTMFW!It's not VIS...was done by Versus motorpsorts(no longer made)

and to the guy that said it was purely for cosmetic purposes...it reduces the weight by at least 20-25 lbs(never weighed the stock one, but it took 2 people to hold/remove the stock trunk while I unbolted it...I was able to install it with only one person holding it and me putting the bolts in. Plus if your stock trunk is FUBARd, a CF one will be cheaper than most body shops would charge to repair/repaint the stock one </TD></TR></TABLE>

is that overspray on your muffler?

i dont recommend vis at all. go with seibon
Old 03-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (emooheo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by emooheo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is that overspray on your muffler?

i dont recommend vis at all. go with seibon

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep , that was the day I got it back least it's the stock one which has a replacement already lined up
Old 03-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all so a big no to the vis trunk fit like *** and my gel coat messed up bad and they wouldnt do a dam thing about it. import fan all so sells em never seen one on a car though. here are pics of my vis one. the last one is the best i could do after like 3 days of messing with it. its hard to see cause of the car.

i no longer have this license or the car so ehh

this is how it started out

after

Old 03-15-2007, 05:21 PM

I just got my VIS cf trunk about two weeks ago. Looks clean *** hell but if your the type that wants everything fitted perfectly then don't buy it. I have a half inch gap along the top of the trunk when installed i bought it for the looks but mainly for saving weight. cuz we all know that our del sols are heavier than the hatches.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (Darknessezz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Darknessezz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got my VIS cf trunk about two weeks ago. Looks clean *** hell but if your the type that wants everything fitted perfectly then don't buy it. I have a half inch gap along the top of the trunk when installed i bought it for the looks but mainly for saving weight. cuz we all know that our del sols are heavier than the hatches.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2. Mine is only about a 1/16-1/8" rise off the body but that's because I raised the rubber stoppers and left the shocks installed...when I lower the rubber stoppers and take off the shocks however, it's perfectly flat with the rest of the body
Old 03-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (Darknessezz)

with all the pieces i had the car weighed 2306 with a turbo setup and a 1/4 tank of gas. so it helped a littel but not worth the money spent imo
Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (craio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by craio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with all the pieces i had the car weighed 2306 with a turbo setup and a 1/4 tank of gas. so it helped a littel but not worth the money spent imo</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's why I try to buy used CF pieces and refinish them unless I get really hooked up on new ones like a VIS hood for 250 brand new(when I still had the hatch)
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (broketuner-Sol_Si)

With all these threads about people locking their keys in the trunk and having to hack it open, I'd be wary about spending 500 bucks on a CF trunk.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (GSaura)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GSaura &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With all these threads about people locking their keys in the trunk and having to hack it open, I'd be wary about spending 500 bucks on a CF trunk.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Remote trunk pop and/or manual trunk release FTW
Old 03-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (95ProjectEJ1)

ive heard many negative things about vis's quality and many many negative comments on their customer service.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (vlc92189)

NEVER GET A CWINGS TRUNK EITHER... exact same way as the black one... fits like ***... looks like the trunk is raised up for a mid engine for cooling. I honestly recommend sticking to the oem trunk, might not be as fancy but its the best
Old 03-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (gsrdelly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsrdelly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NEVER GET ANY CWINGS CF PIECE EITHER</TD></TR></TABLE>

fixed it for you...they're products all have horrible fitment from what I've seen and hear and have even worse customer service than VIS.

I went there in person one time to see a CF hood for my hatch about 1 1/2 years ago...showed up right when the guy told me too and the shop was disserted! not a single car in the parking lot at 3 in the afternoon on a wednesday! So I call the phone # I had and some lady immediately picks up...explain the situation to her(was told to come down at a certain time so I could see a CF hood and potentially buy it, the girl told me "I'm sorry sir we're closed for the day and only allow pickups not lookey loos." and then hung up WTF?!?!?!?!?!
Old 03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid... (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you want to spend 500 on a pointless mod just for looks? IMO, i would just get your OEM trunk fixed at a body shop for less or even pick one up at a junkyard and have them color match it. I think either of those two options would be cheaper than buying one, especially if you are going to buy it online and have it shipped for 100+. Either way, shipped or pick-up i still can't justify spending 500 on a cf trunk... just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree
stock looks better then the carbon fiber trunk lids/ hatches
just get a black one if you wanna be a bad ***
Old 03-17-2007, 10:04 PM

i would rather stick with oem parts. carbon fiber tend to attract attention either by police and people(thiefs). you gotta look at that way as well. i live in california so i need to keep those things in mind.

Quick Reply: VIS del sol carbon fiber trunk lid...