Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VIN # issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIN # issues

ok h-t, i have another issue that i need advice on. ive searched plenty of times but i cant seem to come across anyone else in my situation, so ive decided to start a new thread..

so here's my problem.. i have a usdm 94 honda civic vx with a swap with no vins. basically ive decided i want to buy a legit swap and get my car BAR'd, but ive noticed that my car doesnt have a VIN stamped into the sheet metal of the firewall. no, it hasn't been rubbed off with a grinder, it has the original paint throughout the engine bay. my car just literally has not been stamped from factory. the only VINs it has are two blue state issued "replacement VINS". one on the radiator support and the other on the driver's side door. there is no VIN on the dash either. so i have 3 questions.

1. Would my VIN's cause a problem when i try to get my car BAR'd? ive had the CHP think my car was stolen before when they looked for the VIN on the firewall but the replacement VINs match my license plate. ive had the car registered for 2 years.

2. Am i likely to get trouble from cops because of the missing dash VIN and my VIN-less motor? or will they just check my door and radiator support? i thought that you only need two verifiable VINs on the chassis.

3. Has anyone ever encountered a LHD car with no VIN on the firewall? also my car is badged as a vx and has no sunroof but my VIN says EH3...

sorry for the long post, i just didnt wanna leave any unanswered questions. any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 09-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VIN # issues

Thats hella sketchy!!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94gsrEH3
my car just literally has not been stamped from factory. the only VINs it has are two blue state issued "replacement VINS". one on the radiator support and the other on the driver's side door. there is no VIN on the dash either. so i have 3 questions.
Possible a recovery theft vehicle. Firewall might be a factory replacement.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is no vin on the door jamb?
Old 09-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kaiba
Possible a recovery theft vehicle. Firewall might be a factory replacement.
This what I was thinking, theft recovery, but you should be able to get the original VIN through the state using the reassigned VIN
Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's what i would do .. go to the local coin shop/dealer and ask for something called nic-a-date it is a varry weak acid that they use to bring back dates on coins . remove the paint when your vin is and put the nic-a- date on it and see if the vin comes back. it works becuz the # are stamp in the metal and have a different dencity then the rest of the metal
Old 09-10-2011, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@kaiba: i never thought of that but im pretty sure its the factory firewall. my car holds a clean title surprisingly.

@Linked: the sticker is not there but it has a blue state issued "replacement VIN" on the doorjamb

@tlarimer: supposing my car does have a reassigned VIN, how would i find my original VIN? and how could i do this without any chp coming to inspect my car, because as i said in the original post, my current swap is VIN-less...

@honda fossil: thats a good idea but the thing i dont want to is remove the paint there because i dont wanna make my car even more sketch-looking to cops..
Old 09-10-2011, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any other chassis stamped VINs i could check?
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94gsrEH3
@kaiba: i never thought of that but im pretty sure its the factory firewall. my car holds a clean title surprisingly.

The reassigned VIN is clear, but something had to have happened to get a VIN reassigned, are you sure it's a USDM car?

@Linked: the sticker is not there but it has a blue state issued "replacement VIN" on the doorjamb

@tlarimer: supposing my car does have a reassigned VIN, how would i find my original VIN? and how could i do this without any chp coming to inspect my car, because as i said in the original post, my current swap is VIN-less...

The DMV should have a record, it may cost you to request the file, but they track what VIN the reassigned VIN took place of.

@honda fossil: thats a good idea but the thing i dont want to is remove the paint there because i dont wanna make my car even more sketch-looking to cops..

Try taking the dash out and see if you can read the impression on the back of the firewall, But I'm betting, either it's a replacement firewall or the car is not a USDM/CDM manufactured car.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@tlarimer: to be honest, i dont know for sure if it is a USDM or CDM car. i might have to take out my dash to see if there is an impression on the back. the odd thing is that the paint in the engine bay appears to be unmolested and there are no real signs of a modified firewall.. i wish i knew how to upload pictures here so i could show you guys.. is there any other reason my car would have a reassigned VIN? because like i said, the chassis code says EH3 but clearly i dont have a sunroof and when i had the original motor, it was the D15z1 from factory... i wish i had kept that motor now
Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a hatch, all EH2/3 were manufactured in Ontario Canada, some cars from that plant were destined for the Canadian market, but it would have a VIN as well.

I'm still leaning towards a replaced firewall.

Edit: Import civics, EG3-6 all have their chassis and serial number stamped into the firewall, similar to out VIN
Old 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so since my hatch has no VIN there then it must be a replaced firewall. hmmm maybe it was replaced so long ago that the paint looks like factory. well that doesnt explain why i have a EH3 si chassis code on my EH2 vx..
Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, but if it was a theft recovery or a wreck and they had to replace the firewall, it would have gone in for paint.

But yes, the EH3 chassis code is odd, maybe it was a key stroke error by the DMV
Old 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if they replaced the firewall or painted over, wouldn't my title be salvaged? i mean dont you automatically get a salvaged title from theft recovery?

yea the EH3 thing is what makes me uneasy. i feel like my car may have been stolen. i mean how easy is it to steal a car with no VIN on the chassis.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure what warrants a new VIN from the state, but that EH3 on the title would have me worried too.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i wish i wouldve known more when i bought the car 2 years ago.. i think im gonna sell my current swap (gsr motor + tranny) and another longblock and get a legit swap from attarco, and go get my VIN verified and my car BARd at the same time.. hopefully this solves my issues.. do you think they'll give me sh*t for it even though my registration and both my replacement VINs match up?