Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic

Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have a 98 Honda Civic EX with 96500 miles on it. I am seeing an extremely low mileage of about 26 miles/gallon. I live in Boston and I usually get around 32 in winter. Since the last refuel, I am seeing this unusually low mileage. I bought this car last year (I have added about 18k miles in the last year). I use either Exxon Mobil/Mobil gas only and that too, I use 89 grade.

Two weeks back the check engine light came on, but it was due to the fact that I had not closed the gas cap with three clicks. I removed the gas cap and closed it again with more than 3 clicks. The light went off after about 7 trips.

Has anybody seen this low a mileage. Am I seeing something bizzare here ?

I really appreciate all your inputs.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic (makri)

I would try replacing your air filter, spark plugs, wires and cap and rotor. Those will all help your car run better, thus making your car use gas better. It could even be your o2 sensor, but since you're not getting a CEL I don't think it is.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would try replacing your air filter, spark plugs, wires and cap and rotor. Those will all help your car run better, thus making your car use gas better. It could even be your o2 sensor, but since you're not getting a CEL I don't think it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

when was the last time you got a tune up? that could be your problem
Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic (dohcVTECeg2)

Do Pardon my ignorance. I did not quite understand when you said "replace wires". I am novice at understanding cars. I do know that the rotors on the front need to be replaced (I took it to the Meineke dealer for a brakes check yesterday and he suggested that I replace the front rotors). But I dont understand how the rotors could affect mileage. Aren't the rotors just linked to how efficient (or inefficient) your brakes are ??

Tune up ??? I have never failed to take my car to for regular air filter replacement, oil replacements, although I have never replaced the spark plus ever since I bought the car.

Thanks again for your inputs.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He means spark plug wires. And when he says rotor he does not mean brake rotors. He's talking about the distributor cap and rotor. It's the black thing on the left side of the engine where the spark plug wires go into. The cap is the black thing and theres a small rotor inside of it that you'll see when you remove the cap.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic (EK k kay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK k kay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">He means spark plug wires. And when he says rotor he does not mean brake rotors. He's talking about the distributor cap and rotor. It's the black thing on the left side of the engine where the spark plug wires go into. The cap is the black thing and theres a small rotor inside of it that you'll see when you remove the cap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. And don't worry about not knowing things about cars, we were all in your shoes at one time or another. When I said 'wires' I met the spark plug wires. Those are the things that are coming out of your valve cover, they're thick rubber wires.

They connect to your distributor, that's the thing that creates spark and ignites the fuel in each of your cylindars. If you unscrew the cap (there should be 3 screws/bolts) you'll see a flat peice of plastic, it's very noticeable that's your rotor. If you replace the cap and rotor, and your spark plugs, and spark plug wires that can help you achieve better gas mileage.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic (JDM-EJ1)

Thanks a lot guys.

I shall pop my hood open later in the evening and take a look at it and understand this better. Let me do a google on the rotor, distributor, spark plugs and the accompanying wires. If I have more questions, I shall ping your guys.

In your opinion, how often do you think the following should be replaced ?

(1) Spark plugs
(2) Rotor
(3) Spark plug wires

Thanks.....
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by makri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks a lot guys.

I shall pop my hood open later in the evening and take a look at it and understand this better. Let me do a google on the rotor, distributor, spark plugs and the accompanying wires. If I have more questions, I shall ping your guys.

In your opinion, how often do you think the following should be replaced ?

(1) Spark plugs
(2) Rotor
(3) Spark plug wires

Thanks.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do all that stuff everything 30,000 miles. Or, unless it breaks down earlier and needs to be replaced then.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 98 Ex gets around 34 hwy just for reference. 31-32 with lots of city driving.

your mileage is low, agreed with others: start with tune up.
Don't forget the fuel filter.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic (flood)

OK, The following are the things that require my immediate attention

(1) Spark plugs and the accompanying wires
(2) Rotor in distributor

Now I dont know if it is just my experience, but I have found that the Honda dealer charges way way over what is nominally charged by say meineke guy.

Are these replacements that I can do by myself (with the help of a manual) or is this a job that any local auto shop would do without messing up the car ?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Don't forget the fuel filter. </TD></TR></TABLE>

With the fuel filter.. Theoretically it should NEVER have to be replaced if the correct gas is used and if the fuel lines are never exposed to anything other than gas.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, I agree with the things people above have said but before you spend any money on any of that do the simplest thing. Check your tire pressures. For every 10 degrees outside you loose about 1psi it is said. I would be willing to bet your pressures have dropped since it got cold and that can and will lead to worse gas mileage.

Dont take this as me saying dont do the cap, rotor, wires, etc.... I am just saying it takes no money and onloy 5 minutes to check your tire pressure.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by makri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.

Are these replacements that I can do by myself (with the help of a manual) or is this a job that any local auto shop would do without messing up the car ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

These are replacments that you're going to want to do yourself, just for your own learning experiance. If you're young and still live at home with your parents, I would ask your Dad to help you (he's probably done it before), or maybe a neighbor. These are some of the easiest repairs you can do on a car.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Very Low Mileage on 98 Civic (Slow EJ8)

I had my tires rotated about a month ago and had the tire pressures checked then. But having said that, tt has been bone-chillingly cold in the past two weeks, not to mention the piles of snow and ice we have all received here in Boston. You make a good point when you say that the tire pressures drop for every 10 degree drop in temperature. OK, I shall check the tire pressure today before doing anything else.

Three of the tires (with the exception of the back tire on the side of the driver) are all brand new. Mostly, it is only me in the car and hence I fill about 32 on all four tires. That is what the local mechanic recommended to me.

Do you guys have an opinion on the tire pressure to be used-- Front ?? Back ??

Old 12-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, it cant hurt to check.

As for pressures it should say somewhere in your manual or in the glovebox or on the door jam what the recomeneded pressures are. Personally I run 32psi all around but I would start with the manufacturers recomendation and go from there depending on how your tires are wearing and how your gas mileage is. Experiment and see.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With the fuel filter.. Theoretically it should NEVER have to be replaced if the correct gas is used and if the fuel lines are never exposed to anything other than gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Theoretically a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly
Old 12-19-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was getting bad mileage on my car and I did a full tuneup, wires, cap, rotor, spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter as well as the oxygen sensor and it improved my mileage. I also used some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner. Hope this helps you out.