Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust?? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/very-loud-annoying-sound-coming-my-exhaust-1022587/)

dkorea918 10-13-2004 10:01 PM

A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust??

Hey guys. I currently own a 99 Honda Civic EX. Whenever I drive, I hear this loud and grinding noise coming from my exhaust. The sound mostly occurs while I am shifting, and also when simply pressing the gas pedal. But the strange this is that the noise stops when I press the clutch. The grinding noise sounds like metal scraping against concrete, and it is very loud and noticable. What could possibly be wrong with my car? Help me please. Thanks. I also have an aftermarket exhaust system and a AEM cold air intake.

DK

Castor 10-13-2004 10:03 PM

Re: A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust?? (dkorea918)

I had mysterious problems like that before. O2 sensor bolt was loose and rattling. And its possible that the bottom-section header mount isnt tightened. that can rattle and scrape. The reason pushing your clutch in might affect the sound is youre essentially killing the exhaust output and if its an exhaust flow issue that would make sense.

It just sounds more complicated than that, metal against concrete? yikes.

Luserkid 10-13-2004 10:08 PM

Re: A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust?? (Castor)

You sure you know how to drive? Sounds to me like your not putting the car all the way into gear.

If you could give a sound clip of the grinding soudn we could help you alot better.

dkorea918 10-13-2004 10:09 PM

Re: A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust?? (Castor)

Yah, but I also have an aftermarket exhaust. Could that also be a problem?

dkorea918 10-13-2004 10:11 PM

Re: A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust?? (Luserkid)

Yah..I'm pretty sure that its not the driver. My dad, my brother, and my friend both drove it around and had the same problems.

Luserkid 10-13-2004 10:11 PM

No.

Tell me this.... why the fuck would your exhaust be <FONT SIZE="3">GRINDING</FONT>?!?!

What does it have to grind against. Now if it sounds like metal is rubbing (does metal make a sound when it rubs?) then thats something else. Or if its scrapping. But you said grinding.

SOHC4life 96 10-13-2004 10:13 PM

Little tip there kid, you only have 2 more posts left. Use them WISLEY.

Trial users = 5 posts ever 24 hours.

Castor 10-13-2004 10:15 PM

Re: A very loud and annoying sound coming from my exhaust?? (DOHC4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOHC4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Little tip there kid, you only have 2 more posts left. Use them WISLEY.

Trial users = 5 posts ever 24 hours. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I hated that shit. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emwink.gif

dkorea918 10-13-2004 10:16 PM

Ok sorry for the wrong word choice. It's a scrapping sound coming from my exhaust.

SOHC4life 96 10-13-2004 10:18 PM

Have you checked the ground clearance? It could be the header scraping the ground. I dunno what that would have to do with the tranny, but who knows. *shrugs*

PS. <FONT SIZE="5">1</FONT> post left.

LSvtechatch97 10-13-2004 10:19 PM

is your car lowered? have you looked under your car to see if anything is..... scraping?

Luserkid 10-13-2004 10:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dkorea918 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok sorry for the wrong word choice. It's a scrapping sound coming from my exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stop tucking in your tires, there case closed. Solution, raise your fucking car.

dkorea918 10-13-2004 10:25 PM

Wow. Why does this forum tolerate swearing. I just wanted some advice from my fellow honda members, but I guess it's just too much to ask for. Ok. Later.

And Luserkid, my car isn't fucking lowered.

Luserkid 10-13-2004 10:26 PM

Then you shouldnt be scrapping should you? Write better questions and youll get better answers.

What you have 6inch pipping so you could hear your m4d 3Rd g34R vTacK1?!1?!

94_HATCH 10-14-2004 01:13 AM

Did the noise start before or after you got the exhaust done on the car? I have had the same problem with that type of noise...similar to grinding and extremly loud. It would always go away when i pushed the clutch pedal too. Only difference is that my niose came from underneath the hood and NOT from the exhaust. Turned out to be the throwout bearing.

EDIT: when you say that the noise is coming from the exhaust do you mean the muffler? header? or piping ?