Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

very hard to get into gear.. help! (searched)

Old 09-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very hard to get into gear.. help! (searched)

ok here is my synopsis.
99 civ s20 tranny
I just rebuilt this tranny 2 months ago.
I bled the clutch and changed the oil in it for grins yesterday to see if that would solve the problem.
no grinds at all and no funny noises. when in neutral with motor running it is very hard to put into ANY gear. I have to force it it. this started happening pretty much over night.
I know its not the oil level. (changed yesterday)
I know its not the hydrolic level. (bled yesterday)
I know its not syncros since its every gear and there is no grinds at all. (rebuilt 2 months ago)
I know its not the clutch since it does not slip at all. (inspected 2 months ago)
I know its not the linkage. (stock linkage)
bad throw out?? (no noise though)
bad clutch master cylinder??
any ideas will help
Old 09-05-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Re: very hard to get into gear.. help! (iceman7)

Your clutch isent disengaging all the way.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very hard to get into gear.. help! (nocturnaldragon)

so what would cause that problem? bad pressure plate? bad clutch cylinder?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen it caused by the springs on the clutch disc catching up, it's actually happened to me twice in my own vehicles
Old 09-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bambbrose)

ok, so i'm probably looking at a new clutch.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: (iceman7)

Release fork? Warn pressure plate? how does the clutch feel when you press it in all the way?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:59 PM

if u already bled it w new oil (to make sure theres no air in the hydraulic clutch line)

you can always try adjusting the nut and bolt at the top of the clutch pedal.

Get down by your pedals and you cant miss it. You can adjust the engagement point.

This worked for me. Theres a diagram on it in the helms, but very easy to figure out.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xgenturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xgenturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Release fork? Warn pressure plate? how does the clutch feel when you press it in all the way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it feels fine, not mushy at all...

Ill have to check under the dash and adjust the nut. wasnt sure I could adjust it since it was hydrolic, but ill take a crack at it.
thanks Ill let yall know how that goes.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i think its the clutch plate..imo
Old 09-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah let us know what you come up with because i'm having the exact same prob. execpt mine started after i changed my clutch to a stage 1 exedy clutch. I bled the system, changed the fork, resurfaced the act flywheel. everything works right the way its suppose to execpt its hard to get into gear. I checked and tripple checked everything. I called exedy and they said the clutch disk or the pressure plate surface may be uneven.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondadriver)

well, I checked and adjusted everything there is to check and adjust. I'm thinking on more of the lines of the clutch plate since this happened pretty much over night and in every single gear. I'm looking at geting an exedy stage 1 clutch. anyone have any ideas on clutches???
Old 09-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah let us know what you come up with because i'm having the exact same prob. execpt mine started after i changed my clutch to a stage 1 exedy clutch. I bled the system, changed the fork, resurfaced the act flywheel. everything works right the way its suppose to execpt its hard to get into gear. I checked and tripple checked everything. I called exedy and they said the clutch disk or the pressure plate surface may be uneven. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have the same clutch and the same problem but i got a new flywheel when i changed everything...

i wonder if its just the clutch?!
Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem.. i couldnt get the car to go into gear... and when driving id have to pretty much rev match it to get into the next gear without grinding... i got a act stage 2 went to put it in and as soon as i took the stock clutch out... 1 of the springs fell out of the clutch disc.... and now its fine.. replace ur clutch
Old 09-07-2005, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoOstedEM1)

When you get clutch out push the springs and see if any have play or fall out like he said.. I dont think your flywheel needs resurfacing but it is right there and your taking all this apart anyway.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya... if ur gonna put a new clutch in spend the 25 bucks to have ur flywheel resurfaced so the new clutch can break in right... also if ur getting a racing clutch.. your flywheel needs to be stepped
Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (siregcivic)

Well this weekened i'm sending my clutch out to exedy to get tested. so I will now in about 2 weeks what happened. **** another 1.5 weeks without a car. When I took off my tranny for the 2nd time everything looked fine. Even though I got my act flywheel resurfaced i took it to get checked for levelness again. And for those buying the exedy stage one kit. The first time I called exedy about my issue they asked me if my flywheel is stock, and i told them no. He said the flywheel has to be replaced to an aftermarket one with the clutch. I find that stupid and maybe untrue, but the tech at exedy told me that, so he would now. Anyone else with this prob wanna come share their results.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iceman7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, I checked and adjusted everything there is to check and adjust. </TD></TR></TABLE>

including the nut at the top of the clutch pedal?

This solved my problem (same thing happened 10k miles into a new Spoon clutch)

Old 09-07-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got the exact sameproblem except when im driving its a little easier to put i nto gear.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well this weekened i'm sending my clutch out to exedy to get tested. so I will now in about 2 weeks what happened. **** another 1.5 weeks without a car. When I took off my tranny for the 2nd time everything looked fine. Even though I got my act flywheel resurfaced i took it to get checked for levelness again. And for those buying the exedy stage one kit. The first time I called exedy about my issue they asked me if my flywheel is stock, and i told them no. He said the flywheel has to be replaced to an aftermarket one with the clutch. I find that stupid and maybe untrue, but the tech at exedy told me that, so he would now. Anyone else with this prob wanna come share their results.</TD></TR></TABLE>

make sure and post the results...
i need my car to last me another 6 weeks before i can park it and work on it all winter long...
Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (bambbrose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambbrose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've seen it caused by the springs on the clutch disc catching up, it's actually happened to me twice in my own vehicles</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same happened to me, without any warning. One of the springs fell off.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no you dont need an aftermarket flywheel.... i used my stock one... but it has to be stepped... i havetc an act stage 2 that i purchased for 200 from clutch specialties... i watched them build the disc right there it was pretty cool
Old 09-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a bad pressure plate an it would even let the car go in gear but i allso had an integra an i blow the springs out of the clutch disk an it would grind maybe u have a bad motor mount well good luck
Old 09-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: very hard to get into gear.. help! (FIST321)

yeah.. i'm looking at a new clutch.. I did adjust the pin at the pedal and it didnt help.. checked all the lines (no leaks) it seems that the clutch isnt disengaging all the way.... = ... pressure plate. looks like i'm pulling the tranny again (for the 5th time this year). fun stuff... at least i can get it pulled and back together in about 4 hours.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same exact problem.. My car didn't want to go into gear at all without forcing it.. Slightly revving and then putting it in gear would allow it to go into gear.. Bled my clutch no fix, finally replaced my clutch master cylinder and problems fixed.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

well guys i sent my clutch to exedy and the tech called me back and said the clutch disk and the pressure plate are fine. So now what. The throw out bearing is installed correctly, its not that difficult.!!! The tech said it could be the mc cyl or the slave cyl. But none of them leak, they both LOOK fine. To do a test last night, i put a clamp on the slave cyl so that the piston doesn't shoot out, and i pressed down on the clutch pedel and it was stiff, and I held my foot there for a few secs to see if i would loose pressure or to see if there was a leak!! AND NOTHING, no leak no pressure lose!!!! Could the tech be wrong, i mean, its only a stage one clutch. My friend installed a ACT stage 3 clutch on his 90 crx si and NEVER had a problem. But know I install a stage 1 and i'm gona have to start replacng parts. it makes no sense! CAN a mc or slave cyl be bad without a leak?????? Is it possible??????

Dam this is ******* pissin me off the trannies been off 3 times now, and I don't wanna put it back together just to have the problem again. And i don't wanna buy a mc just to see if thats the prob. My pressure plate fingers already have little grooves into it from the throw out bearing and i asked if that was ok cuz the clutch only has 600 miles on it and the tech said that was ok, is that normal????. I;m thinking of just goin to honda and buyin another pressure plate. But i'm not sure if mine is bad. GOD THIS IS BULLSHIT! PLEASE help guys!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: very hard to get into gear.. help! (searched)