Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vehicle Speed Sensor Problem

Old 05-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Speed Sensor Problem

I recently changed my Vehicle Speed Sensor in my '95 Honda Civic. Unfortunately, my speedometer still goes on and off intermittently. Checking the wiring to the sensor with the engine switch on, I see a bad ground connection (700 Ohms black wire) while the other hot wires +12V & +5V seem normal. How do I fix the ground problem if this is the issue with my speedometer?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: Vehicle Speed Sensor Problem

To get an accurate resistance measurement (and not damage your meter), the circuit must be dead.

With the key on and the sensor plugged in, there should be near zero volts on the black wire to engine ground and thus to battery (-). If not you will need to take the engine harness apart there are some splices of the black wires wrapped up inside it.

If the odometer rolls consistently and accurately, the sensor and associated wiring should be good, the problem would be the speedometer itself.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're right and thank you, mk378. With the engine switch off, there is a good ground connection to the black wire. Additionally, from the wiring schematic, the Vehicle Speed Sensor(VSS) sends signals to the cruise control which functions normally. So, the VSS is okay. After removing the instrument cluster, containing the speedometer, and examining the soldering contacts and joints, there are no signs of loose connections. Therefore, the problem is just a worn out speedometer after 22 years of driving. So, I bought a good used speedometer with low mileage. To keep the car legal with the original mileage, I disassembled the broken speedometer and took out the old odometer and tripmeter assembly which still works. Then, I put it in the good speedometer - keeping the car legit. So far, the speedometer works fine and functions well.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

From my experience and what I have seen, the jumpy speedo is usually the PCB board on the back of the speedo.

I had to replace mine with another used unit and I saw another thread around that time that they had the same issue and the fix was the same as mine. As well as one of the build threads, their speedo had issues and the board was the problem as previous owner had re-soldered trying to fix it.

It's pretty common it seems.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I downloaded GPSHud from Google play store installed on my phone Problem solved !
No need to replace or repair the speedometer or the odometer
Old 05-25-2017, 05:53 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by 04odyssey
I downloaded GPSHud from Google play store installed on my phone Problem solved !
No need to replace or repair the speedometer or the odometer
This is very poor advise for the user or any future owners of the vehicle.

Sure you know roughly what your speed is and how far you have traveled but the the value of the car is significantly reduced just from the non working speedometer.

Please go troll else where.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
This is very poor advise for the user or any future owners of the vehicle.

Sure you know roughly what your speed is and how far you have traveled but the the value of the car is significantly reduced just from the non working speedometer.

Please go troll else where.
Did you understand that my post was about a
​​solution in my case which I shared with others?

You're very literal, unable to differentiate between opinion, advice and/or tips.

"know it all" such as yourself are amusing, not to be taken too seriously.

​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by 04odyssey
Did you understand that my post was about a
​​solution in my case.......?​​​​​
Then shouldn't you be starting your own thread about your problem instead of hijacking someone else's thread with an opinion that has no technical merit for the car in question?