Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Valve Seals...???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Seals...???

Well I did a compression test an ran 215psi all the way across

But...... I'm still blowin smoke out my exhaust... "bluish/greyish"...

If I had a head gasket leak, my compression would not have been perfect all the way across so im wondering, maybe my valve seals could be bad..?? Or is it possible to shoot smoke out the exhaust due to an exhaust leak..??

I seafoamed earlier an some smoke built up in the engine bay so I kno I have a small exhaust leak somewhere.. "I had smoke coming out of exhaust before seafoam for ur smartasses out there"

I searched an came to that conclusion <valve seals> only because everyone else with this issue always turns to valve seals it seems like..

Now for my question... I searched for valve seals an came back with tons of different posts an such, but all the posts I read only say take off the valve cover, an pry the seals out of the spark plug chamber with a flat head an hammer.. I thought that it would be a little more complicated than that..?? Someone mentioned to me that I have to compress the spark plug chambers using my air compressor so I dont drop a valve or something like that..???

Any input on this is truly appreciated, an help would be even more appreciated... Thanks..
Old 06-28-2006, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valve Seals...??? (JDM_SOHC)

if it's ur valve seals, u still need to take off the valve cover. the valve seals are what go around the actual valve in the head. it's a very small metal peice with rubber inside of it and they tend to harden and crack. get the manual for the car and it will tell u how to remove them. if u need more help, post agian cuz there are lots of us who have replaced them.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Valve Seals...??? (motorhead_ls)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by motorhead_ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it's ur valve seals, u still need to take off the valve cover. the valve seals are what go around the actual valve in the head. it's a very small metal peice with rubber inside of it and they tend to harden and crack. get the manual for the car and it will tell u how to remove them. if u need more help, post agian cuz there are lots of us who have replaced them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, thanks a lot dude for ur input.. Also, was it true about the valve dropping an havin to take off the whole head to get'm out..?? I've never had to do anything like this before so it's all new information for me but Im sucking it up like a sponge, thanks again..
Old 06-28-2006, 02:26 PM

here's a picture of a valve seal and one without. the head is from '90 LS, but the concept is the same.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by motorhead_ls &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here's a picture of a valve seal and one without. the head is from '90 LS, but the concept is the same.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude ur fawkin awesome..!!

Thats exactly what I was wondering, didnt dream in a million years someone would actually thought of taking a picture of with an without, yeah yeah u get maddd honda points from me.. and im cool
Old 06-28-2006, 05:25 PM

ur welcome
Old 06-28-2006, 05:29 PM

well, u don't HAVE to take off the head, but it's a really good idea. if u don't, u have to manually rotate each cylinder up to TDC and work on that cylinder's valves only. so u'd have to rotate the crank four times, one for each cylinder.