Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

valve job

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve job

just wondering whats the best type of valve job to get done i heard a 3 angle valve job is the best i heard theres like 5 angle and whatever which one would b good, my lifters are makin a scraping sound when i rev high so im getting the lifters done too
Old 10-02-2004, 08:18 PM

Default Re: valve job (stivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wondering whats the best type of valve job to get done i heard a 3 angle valve job is the best i heard theres like 5 angle and whatever which one would b good, my lifters are makin a scraping sound when i rev high so im getting the lifters done too</TD></TR></TABLE>

lifters = pushrod motors.

you = dum
Old 10-02-2004, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve job (juanpwnz)

thanks for dat advice
Old 10-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all honda motors have a three angle valve job..... do you even know the point of more angles?
Old 10-02-2004, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve job (slambedcivic)

no im new at this just wondering what kinds of valve jobs i can get done
Old 10-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my bad some idiot told me it could be my lifters i guesss hondas dont have those so it must be the valves that r making that cracking or metal scraping sound when i rev high and let off.... anyway i want to do a valve job what type of valves r good skunk2 toda mugen??
Old 10-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your most likely floating your valves.... which will bend them.... which isnt good.. if you arent replacing cam(s) then there is no point in getting an upgraded valve train. a 4 or 5 angle valve job is decent. the point of the valve job is to round the valve seat more over where the air has to pass through, so itll flow fasted/smoother. but if you do it too much, your valves wont properly seat.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i shud replace the cams and valves?? i was thinking skunk2 vavles and cams and when i install those a 4 or 5 angle valve job to hopefully get rid of that noise lol
Old 10-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats about 800 bucks NOT including labor... what motor are you working on?
Old 10-02-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking of doing a 5 angle vaLVE job myself ... but then i saw a part about upgraded valves and cams, whats that do... sorry im a newbie only took 2 engines apart and none were honda... but when i get a del sol im takin it apart lol
Old 10-02-2004, 09:24 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just wondering whats the best type of valve job to get done i heard a 3 angle valve job is the best i heard theres like 5 angle and whatever which one would b good, my lifters are makin a scraping sound when i rev high so im getting the lifters done too</TD></TR></TABLE>

what motor you got. I would say that 5 angle is an over kill. You can do a vavle job yourself. It's not going to cost madd JDM $800 or anything.
But I would just recomend sending this to a machine shop because you don't sound like you know what you are talking about.

And what you meant to say was rocker arms instead of lifters. Those can be adjusted if you hear clicking.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: valve job (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what motor you got. I would say that 5 angle is an over kill. You can do a vavle job yourself. It's not going to cost madd JDM $800 or anything.
But I would just recomend sending this to a machine shop because you don't sound like you know what you are talking about.

And what you meant to say was rocker arms instead of lifters. Those can be adjusted if you hear clicking.</TD></TR></TABLE>
how is five angle overkill?? its two more angles than stock....

and to the thread starts.... dont attempt a valve job yourself.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Youre mixing up "valve adjustment" and "valve job". You need a valve adjustment. Maybe. Honda motors normally make a lot of clicking sound. A valve adjustment just changes the amount of space between two moving parts. A valve job is where you grind the shape at the end of the valves to allow better airflow characteristics. This is not a maintenance procedure.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:17 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
how is five angle overkill?? its two more angles than stock....

and to the thread starts.... dont attempt a valve job yourself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because you get minimal gain, IMO. Why do you say don't attemp valve jobs yourself. you obviously don't know anything about doing them. The only thing that you might have to get done in the machine shop is to get old valve guides replaced if needed, or service the valves (margin etc..) but since he wants to get new valves no need for that.

But the other guy makes a good point he just prolly needs vavle adjustment.
Old 10-03-2004, 01:05 PM

ive heard horrior storys about skunk2 valves like where they are machine welded it cheap weld and they break i was reading this ony thread and it happend to this guy and skunk2's costomer service sucks and the guy had just put new skunk2 valve train, costom pistons and rods in his motor and it fucked them all up just by me hearing that i will never buy anything internal wize from skunk2
Old 10-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because you get minimal gain, IMO. Why do you say don't attemp valve jobs yourself. you obviously don't know anything about doing them. </TD></TR></TABLE>
you, sir, dont know me... therefore dont know what i do and dont know. you get minimal gain... therefore its overkill??? dude, shut the **** up. and just as you said IMO. its your opinion.... how can you justify telling me i dont know what im talking about if its only yout opinion? and no... someone shouldnt do a valve job themselves.... valve adjustments are a different story... doin a valve job entails removing the head, removing all of teh valve train. there is a tool you use that is the exact size of the valve stem... it goes in and you secure it on the opposite end (bottom of the head) then you slide a hone type cutting tool for the proper angle over the stem. run it down and give it a few turns.... then you check to make sure that everything is even.... repeat the process... as many times as you wish... want five angle, do it @ 2 more angles ONLY at the top....

now, tell me i dont know what im talking about and ill call you a liar. keep your ******* mouth shut unless you have something resourcefull to contribute.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:50 PM

Default Re: valve job (opkjoblacsh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by opkjoblacsh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive heard horrior storys about skunk2 valves like where they are machine welded it cheap weld and they break i was reading this ony thread and it happend to this guy and skunk2's costomer service sucks and the guy had just put new skunk2 valve train, costom pistons and rods in his motor and it fucked them all up just by me hearing that i will never buy anything internal wize from skunk2 </TD></TR></TABLE>
WERD Skunk 2

I'm noob but, if ur set up is a b-series, id go with type r components, still maintains stock idle and all that good ****, plus better performance(than stock), and saves you some $$$, but like they said above dont overkill it.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:44 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you, sir, dont know me... therefore dont know what i do and dont know. you get minimal gain... therefore its overkill??? dude, shut the **** up. and just as you said IMO. its your opinion.... how can you justify telling me i dont know what im talking about if its only yout opinion? and no... someone shouldnt do a valve job themselves.... valve adjustments are a different story... doin a valve job entails removing the head, removing all of teh valve train. there is a tool you use that is the exact size of the valve stem... it goes in and you secure it on the opposite end (bottom of the head) then you slide a hone type cutting tool for the proper angle over the stem. run it down and give it a few turns.... then you check to make sure that everything is even.... repeat the process... as many times as you wish... want five angle, do it @ 2 more angles ONLY at the top....

now, tell me i dont know what im talking about and ill call you a liar. keep your ******* mouth shut unless you have something resourcefull to contribute.</TD></TR></TABLE>

First of all you doesn't go where the stem goes, it goes on the valve seat. You do this so your valve sits flush to the head so you won't get any leakage. 5 angle might provide better seal but it's not commonly found. Don't tell to shut the **** up because I've done it before.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the point of a valve job is to create a smoother flow through the air passages.... and ive done this before too.... the guide tool that you use DOES go in where the valve stem goes, then the hone slides over it and sits in the seats...... if you would like me to, i will take a picture of the damn tools i use.

that there is a single angle valve grind.
its the only picture that i can find.
by cutting MORE angles on the seat on the TOP side allows the air to flow smoother, and faster around the top of the seat....

ive done these jobs MORE than a few times. porting, polishing and valve jobs arent new to me..... all honda engines are standard with 3 angle valve/seat cuts...... this is the end of this arguement because you my friend are wrong....
Old 10-03-2004, 05:05 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah you are right about the slight flow increase, but main purpose of the angle cuts is to keep the pressure inside the cylinder. You won't gain very noticable gains in power by doing this but it gives you more chance of something messing up. I'm not totaly sure about this, but certain angle jobs are determined by what the engine is used for.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its really the owners preferance what valve grinds to get done... unless the person doing the job deems it unnecessary.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a jdm gsr motor in my civic eg, my dad is a mechanic he can do the valve job no money on labor just wondering which angle would be best for performance
Old 10-03-2004, 06:28 PM

if your dad is really a machanic i think he would know so why dont you ask him??
Old 10-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i did put in type r valves n stuff wouldnt that make compression higher i got the GSR motor instead of type r becuz of the lower compression in a B18c1 becuz i want to boost it... if people have heard bad about skunk2 i mite get the mugen valves from inline pro
Old 10-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

becuz he doesnt know about performance parts just motors in general

Quick Reply: valve job