Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Valve adjustment help

Old 06-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjustment help

After doing my valve adjustment, it drives fine but after driving for like 2 minutes the power in the lower RPM just dies and the clicking noise of the valves not being at proper spec comes back. I tried adjusting it this morning and the same thing happened, when I adjusted it again before my last test drive one of the nuts that hold the rocker arm adjustment screws came completely off and was just lying in there. Do you think the nut came off again? How do I stop them from coming off? I torqued them all down pretty tight, but I didn't want to torque it anymore since the screws are aluminum. D16y8 engine.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up for more help, already searched nothing useful came up.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Valve adjustment help (jtchinoy)

I've never had a problem with the valve lash adjusters like you're describing.

Instead of guessing, how about pulling the valve cover and checking? Are you adjusting them with the engine cold? What are you adjusting them too?
Old 06-26-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i have the same problem with the valves coming loose and making noise. but mine is not that severe
Old 06-26-2006, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I waited 4 hours before the 2nd adjustment yesterday and it never was started before the first adjustment yesterday. I looked last night and everything is still in place. I just put in a stage 1 skunk2 camshaft, hence the valve adjustment, but I don't think that would cause the valves to mess up this bad. I put it in properly and TDC'd it. I'm more concerned that I bent a valve now or something from my small test drives. Knowing honda durability it wouldn't make sense for it to bend just from test driving it, but I don't know I've never actually messed with my valves until now. I used a feeler gauge when I did the adjustments.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jtchinoy)

Up for more help.

I just talked to my friend about this problem, he said I probably: have my timing belt off by a tooth(I doubt), did my valve adjustment wrong (probably), and the timing on my ignition timer is off(definitely). All of this put together = one shitty running car. Does this sound like an accurate diagnosis?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (jtchinoy)

Why would the timing belt be off a tooth? Use a timing light and check the timing.

If the timing belt is off a tooth and you mis-adjusted your valves, that sounds like the recipe for +5hp instead of a shitty running car. C'mon now...
Old 06-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well we fixed it up and cleared out my confusion.
my cam gear was off a tooth, and it was retarded so it made my power band push back even more... then my valves loosened so they didn't open as much as they should. that and i forgot that aftermarket cams lower your low end due to lack of torque (damn you honda). all of this = shitty 0- 3000 rpm, but jumps up in the 3000+. yeah, it feels like another 5-10whp were added after that low end lag clears up. dyno tuning it this week hopefully to balance out my power distribution so that my low end isn't such a struggling nightmare. not enjoying the chug chug chug feel in the low end, but i enjoy the high end kick

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for being a confusing nooby about this situation.