Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VAFC Screen Not Lighting Up + No VTEC After Moving Wires

Old 12-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAFC Screen Not Lighting Up + No VTEC After Moving Wires

So today I decided to relocate my ECU to my glove box so that my girlfriend doesn't keep kicking it with her feet and I can still change the chip out. So I move the ECU and go through the frustration of rerouting the wiring harness only to find that the screen on my VAFC is not working. Not only that, but my VTEC isn't working now, so obviously something is wrong in the wiring. How do I know it has power? The LEDs power up and go through their flashing sequence and the car still runs without a problem (other than no VTEC) or CEL. So, the MAP sensor is still getting its signal to the ECU somehow, but the VAFC isn't fully powering up like it should.

With the harness being in such a tight spot now, I'd really like to pinpoint which wire is causing the problem so that I can correct the issue without having to rewire the entire thing and redo the tedious work of getting the harness plugs back up between the glove compartment and the right outer side of the dash. So, anyone with experience or know-how, can you please help me out so that I don't have to try freezing my *** off AGAIN in this weather:
http://www.weather.com/weather...lared

I've already spent over 90 minutes in this cold weather between trying to figure out what's wrong and relocating the ECU. My toes are still cold after being inside for 35 minutes. Please guys, help me out.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first suggestion, find a warm place to work haha

but back to the topic, have you looked at all the connections from the wiring harness to the VAFC? make sure they are all connected.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (riceburnerryan)

I've looked at them as best I can. The sun is setting about 5:30 around here so I run out of daylight and warmth around that time. Don't get off work until around 5, so my looking and troubleshooting is very limited to what I can do with a flashlight and shaky hands. I'm headed home to my parents house this weekend, so I may kick my cats out of the garage and pull the car in there to work on it.

I might have to break down and just rewire the entire thing.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mistamike17)

OK, I played with the wires some more. Redid the power wires and kinda played with it a bit. I have VTEC now, but still no screen. Anybody know what gives? I'm thinking it may be one of the ground wires not making good contact or something.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:49 AM

If I were you i'd go through and make sure that all my wires are making a good connection, and usually it won't work at all with a bad ground from what i've seen but you never know. Kinda sounds like the screen took a **** on ya. Keep us posted.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondakevin21)

Well I originally thought that too, but last night after I got the power wire rewired, it started up like usual. Then, I go to put everything back how it was and now it doesn't work but I have VTEC. So, it's most likely a bad connection. I just have no idea which connection it is.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, just get rid of the vafc. You have a chipped ecu which can do everything and a lot more than a vafc can.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah man ... also, i was told that if you have a tuned map on your chipped ECU the VAFC will totally FUBAR your map ... so ... just get rid of it ..
Old 12-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who told you that? The VAFC alters the MAP sensor signal so that it reads a different amount than what it really is. This signal is sent to the ECU and the ECU sends out the fuel as it would regularly. The VAFC and the map have no interaction whatsoever. It may cause a different column on the map to be read, but even still, the VAFC is still doing its function.

It's a cool toy to play with (bling points) and it also will help when I am tuning with making real-time changes for any out-of-line values on the wideband output. Those real-time changes can then be burnt onto a chip with timing adjustments and used from there with a reset VAFC. It really is a good tool to have for emergency on-the-fly situations. When used with a wideband, it can be invaluable. It also helps to make sure that my RPMs are making it to where they should (since the stock tach is less than stellar) and checking to make sure that my chip has been burned and setup properly.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just got an RSM hahaha
Old 12-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just got an Ostrich for Christmas... so it may be curtains for the VAFC. We'll see.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell me the vafc is connected on with a jumper or sodered on
Old 12-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VAFC Screen Not Lighting Up + No VTEC After Moving Wires (Mistamike17)

Fixed it. I redid the grounds. Apparently one of them wasn't making very good contact or not making contact at all. No, it's not soldered or on a jumper. The unit does not come with it and the installation instructions do not suggest to solder it. It comes with quick connects and wire taps.

But, everything is fixed. ECU in the glovebox and everything. Good to go... now that I really don't even need the thing... DAMN.