Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vacuum hose question

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum hose question

I would like to replace my vacuum hoses because I believe it may have some blockage issues. I really dont want to buy new ones though(expensive) unless I absolutely have to so I was wondering if there was any cleaner or recommended way of cleaning the rubber hoses. Anyone with ideas or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: Vacuum hose question (Hittnthebz)

Why do you feel you have a blockage issue, and vacuum lines are relatively cheap.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are not collasping or cracking then the lines themselves are good. Check the openings on the nipples for corrosion and the tee's also. There are some of the stock tee's that have a vacuum limiter in them. Just to let you know!

As for cleaning them you can pull them off (One at a time) and use simple green and a rag. Then coat them with a tire shine or armor-all. (One at a time)
Old 12-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vacuum hose question (hplssone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hplssone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you feel you have a blockage issue, and vacuum lines are relatively cheap.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My car is acting up, has high mileage and I am just trying to use process of elimination. Where have you seen oem or oem style vacuum hoses cheap? I dont want the flexible ones that you rig stuff with either.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If they are not collasping or cracking then the lines themselves are good. Check the openings on the nipples for corrosion and the tee's also. There are some of the stock tee's that have a vacuum limiter in them. Just to let you know!

As for cleaning them you can pull them off (One at a time) and use simple green and a rag. Then coat them with a tire shine or armor-all. (One at a time)</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks Ill try that and see how it works. If this is not the cause I want to at least do this for preventative maintenance.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vacuum lines on most Honda's (Please note I said most)I've seen have the normal rubber vacuum lines. Are you asking if the plastic type like on the Chevy's will work? I have found that over time the plastic one's will get hard and snap. I had to replace a few doing EGR testing on them. I did mention the limiters, you don't want to remove these because they act like a muffler and slow the vacuum pulses.

There are silcone vac hoses too if you want to go that route. Expensive $50 for ten feet or something like that. But they come in colors.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car is all stock dd so if they get replaced I would get OEM rubbers. Dont really want to do that tho cuz some of the hoses were like 20-30 bucks!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vacuum hose question (thesmogman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thesmogman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did mention the limiters, you don't want to remove these because they act like a muffler and slow the vacuum pulses.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Where would the limiters be located? I am assuming that my car has a vacuum issue because I can drive down the interstate at about 60 mph and let off the gas and the car will stumble and lose power. It surges power, jerking alot but then it will steady out. It doesnt do this all of the time but usually happens when the vehicle is warm or after about 10-15 minutes of driving. Any suggestions about alternative causes. I have done a full tune-up, pcv valve, coolant/thermostat, both o2's , and replaced the coil and ignitor.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:35 PM

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vacuum hose question (hplssone)

A few months ago. Sorry, thought I put that on the list of parts too.