Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

vac leak help! asap!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vac leak help! asap!!!

Alright lately my car has had a vacuum leak issue, i know it has because its been running rough and just plain crappy in general. I got some brake cleaner and started spraying around and found that its somewhere around the throttlebody, so i pulled the throttlebody off and inspected the gasket, it looked fine, put it back on and its running even worse!

btw, i noticed the inside of my intake mani is dirty, is this normal? or is it something i shoudl worry about (theres a custom made pcv system, basically a hose from a hole in the valve cover that goes to the nipple on the intake mani, maybe this is oil from the valve cover?)

pcv hose:

inside intake mani:

when i spray brake cleaner on the back side of the throttle body between the tps and iacv (like on the gasket) it makes a gargling noise and the idle gets higher. I made sure the bolts on the throttlebody were tight when i put it on.

I took a video of me spraying brake cleaner on the back of the throttlebody like i described above, you might have to turn your speakers up to hear it clearly (bad mic on the digital camera). You can also hear the rough idle in the vid.

I ordered a new throttlebody gasket today at a local honda dealership, it will be here thurs. would a new gasket fix this problem? If not have any more ideas?

Tell me what you all think! want to solve this asap!!

btw in the vid, when i give it a little gas, im not letting off, its trying to stall. if i give it a little bit of gas, when it gets to between 2000 and 3000rpm (depending on how much gas i give it) it'l drop to 1000rpm and try to stall (my normal idle is 1500rpm, its set in hondata i think, because the screw on the throttlebody hasn't changed anything).

VIDEO:
Old 09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: vac leak help! asap!!! (Lordofdark176)

you should stop spraying crap into your motor. it's not going to solve the problem.
as for the idle being worse after the T/B removal, that's because once you remove it, you need a new gasket.

i would try putting the oem pcv back the way it was intended. if you can't then try replacing the homemade pcv and see what happens.

when the pcv valve gets clogged, it will give an irradic idle. so, replace it being that it's the esaiest and cheapest part to replace.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:37 PM

i was only spraying the brake cleaner to find the source of the vac leak.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: (Lordofdark176)

damnit just noticed photobucket messed the video up when i uploaded it. ignore the high pitched buzzing noise, thats something that photobucket added (not my engine).
Old 09-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Lordofdark176)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lordofdark176 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was only spraying the brake cleaner to find the source of the vac leak.</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh, and as far as the I/M being alittle dirty, that's perfectly normal.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

ok. well im hoping its just the gasket, i remember it was removed once before and ever since it was running bad. i know those gaskets are one time use so hopefully the new one will fix all the problems. ill keep this updated when i get the new one in.