Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

V-AFC

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V-AFC

As we know the V-AFC controls the Vtec on honda engines (Vtec engines) and you can control whenever you want the vtec to start kicking.
adjusting the vtec to kick @ 3500 Rpm is better than kicking @ 4500 or 5000 !
ok my question is: are you going to make your car faster if you let the vtec kick @ low rpm or you will make your car go slower?

Many people says you will make it slower !

In my opinion the 16 valves will work sooner and that doesnt have to do anything with making the car slower!

What do you guys think?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: V-AFC (gray_civic_coupe)

It may seem counterintuitive, but Honda put the VTEC crossover where they put it for a reason. Some may benefit from changing it lower, but not 2000 rpm lower. VTEC allows for more power at HIGHER RPM's, not just higher power anywhere in the powerband.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with ^^^

Honda put it there for a reason. Unless you have major mods I do not see a reason to change it.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gray_civic_coupe you are way wrong. YOu get NO power by adjusting it that much lower.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: V-AFC (honda_coupe)

Vtec does not make extra valves work. Don't mess with the engagement it's meant for high rpm's.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gray_civic_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my opinion the 16 valves will work sooner and that doesnt have to do anything with making the car slower!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I applaud you guys for not flaming this guy to death.

To the original poster, you should use Google and find a link to read up on how exactly Vtec works. I'll try to find one for you as well.

All of the engine's valves are always working. What Vtec does, in essence, is enable a middle cam lobe to be used when a certain rpm is hit. Basically, at that rpm and above, the engine is using another higher profile cam lobe.

As others have said, Honda set it there for a reason. You will get the most power/reliability/gas mileage that way. It's set at a happy medium. Sure, you can make SOME adjustments (with proper tuning) to squeeze out a little more power at the expense of other things. However, adjusting it THAT much to where you were saying does absolutely nothing except slow the car down.

That's the simple explanation. Here's the more complicated one:

How Stuff Works: What does the VTEC system in a Honda engine do?

A little history and how it works

There are also a few types of Vtec for Hondas. Many other manufacturers use similar concepts, but have different names.

Old 10-14-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, doing that will only LOWER your power output. Just so you know, the 16 valves always work and no they don't have anything to do with makin the car slower.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec = high end, not 3k rpm
Old 10-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Thnx for your opinion guys
Old 10-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You are extremely lucky. I don't see how you escaped this thread burn free. u r teh win
Old 10-14-2005, 11:32 AM

take this senerio. you hear a v8 w/ aggressive cams. It can barely keep the car alive at idle, and you watch them tap the gas to keep the rpms from going to low and killing the car (like if you let the clutch out too soon)

very aggressive cams are no good for a cars low end. Thats why vtec was created. to have the aggressive cams for the high end while keeping the low end economical and smooth.

Somthing like forced induction can use a lower vtec point to get more power sooner, but remember you will still have the same top out HP even if you engauge vtec sooner.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: (gray_civic_coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gray_civic_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thnx for your opinion guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

These are not opinions, they are fact. Go take your V-AFC and set it to where you think is good. Then see how much faster you will be.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: V-AFC (shamoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I applaud you guys for not flaming this guy to death.

To the original poster, you should use Google and find a link to read up on how exactly Vtec works. I'll try to find one for you as well.

All of the engine's valves are always working. What Vtec does, in essence, is enable a middle cam lobe to be used when a certain rpm is hit. Basically, at that rpm and above, the engine is using another higher profile cam lobe.

As others have said, Honda set it there for a reason. You will get the most power/reliability/gas mileage that way. It's set at a happy medium. Sure, you can make SOME adjustments (with proper tuning) to squeeze out a little more power at the expense of other things. However, adjusting it THAT much to where you were saying does absolutely nothing except slow the car down.

That's the simple explanation. Here's the more complicated one:

How Stuff Works: What does the VTEC system in a Honda engine do?

A little history and how it works

There are also a few types of Vtec for Hondas. Many other manufacturers use similar concepts, but have different names.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info, I like that pic too... explains the different types well.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: (shamoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

These are not opinions, they are fact. Go take your V-AFC and set it to where you think is good. Then see how much faster you will be.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Sorry my bad, I meant thnx for the info
anyway i'm not going to buy the V-AFC because i wont need it so far