Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Utah's SMOG laws

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah's SMOG laws

Did a search with everything and way I could think of with (Utah SMOG,smog Smog, Laws smog UTAH, Utah, utah law smog...) etc.. nothing about SMOG laws in Utah.

Getting ready to move to the Layton area at the end of month. I am currently in the process (this will be the 3rd trip to the ref.) of getting my 92' hatch w/JDM B16A and basic bolt on's Cali. BAR'd. Which he who knows is a B*&CH here.

Now my question is. How are SMOG issues in Utah, Layton area? What are the major issues I will face? Really any sort of info would help.

Thanks in advance with any info provided.

Also looking for a good shop in that area if anyone knows.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (DX_JDM_HATCH)

there is none
Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (khme12)

bump
Old 01-06-2006, 08:17 PM

all you have to do is get your car registered in like toole or brigahm they don't have smog laws
Old 01-06-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in clearfield (right by layton). You will have no problems sence your car is OBD1. We do not have refs and we dont have to straped to a dyno to have our emissions checked. The only problem people have here are switching from OBD2 to OBD1. That will fail every time.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (CerealWars)

Thank you very much for the info...
Old 01-09-2006, 09:42 AM

yeah im thinking of moving to toole in the next six months or so it would save me some money every 2 years lol
Old 01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have switched from OBD2 to OBD1? So your saying I will have problems then? If so, why? Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-12-2006, 04:08 AM

How did you switch from OBD2 when your car is a '92 (OBD1)?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hatchish)

just get the hook up
Old 01-12-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: (hatchish)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatchish &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i lived in syracuse for the last few months and this is off topic but its so damn boring there the girls are hot but you all know the situation with utah hahaha, yeah but emissions laws are nothing like CA</TD></TR></TABLE>You havnt met the right girls then. Hahaha.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor is a 2000 JDM B16A... Which is OBDII..

Thanks for all the help guys...

So if I am correct from what I have read here... They basically don't do a visual inspection just emissions?

Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 PM

There are only 3 counties that do the sniffer test. (or 4)

Davis, SLC and Utah counties for sure.

and that's just the sniffer up the tail pipe.

other counties don't do that.

but they all do safety inspection and stuff like making sure your tint isn't too dark, etc.

As far as a visual of the engine matching the car or all emissions/USDM equipment on it like EGRs...most people don't have a clue so you won't have any trouble.

Just don't go to those corner emissions/inspection stations or places like Jiffy Lube or dealerships.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (74celicagt)

Thank you for your help... I believe Layton is in Davis county... Which means if they do the sniffer I might have problems.. That was the only part that I couldn't pass here. I did all USDM emission stuff for Cali inspection, but my emissions were alittle on the high side. You wouldn't happen to know what the passing levels are ie. Hydrocarbons, NOx, ect for that area.. If not thank you for the other info..
Old 01-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DX_JDM_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I am currently in the process (this will be the 3rd trip to the ref.) of getting my 92' hatch w/JDM B16A and basic bolt on's Cali. BAR'd. Which he who knows is a B*&CH here.

Thanks in advance with any info provided.

Also looking for a good shop in the area if anyone knows.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

DX: It is relatively simple to bolt in a JDM engine and the wiring and make it run. The tuning is a whole other issue. People don't understand that the tuning is the key to passing on the first pull. Alot of people battle for months on end with the referees, getting your car smogged is getting more difficult every year. Alot of our cars barely passed smog when new and the venerable smog check is a big eye opener for alot of car owners.

Please email me with any CA smog/registration related questions.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:33 PM

dx i im get my eg registerd in vernal they dont have emissions only saftey but i will find out what the passing levels are k and ill get bac to u on that
Old 01-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (Eg6xCiViCxSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eg6xCiViCxSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dx i im get my eg registerd in vernal they dont have emissions only saftey but i will find out what the passing levels are k and ill get bac to u on that </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, Do you know how far Vernal is fron Layton area? Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:20 PM

vernal is by parkcity well about maybe 1 hour from there but its pretty far from layton i can ask my friend if he can do it ill get back to u on that tooo
Old 01-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (Eg6xCiViCxSi)

Cool, I move out there this weekend. I am suppose to sell before we move out there, but I just don't think it going to happen...
Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 PM

If you do have trouble with the sniffer, you'd only need to go north til you get out of Davis county, or else get a friend in Tooele (west of SLC on I-80). Those would be the best options so you don't end up too far away from home.

If my 30 year old 1974 Celica with 30 year old JDM engine can pass emissions in Utah county with dual sidedraft carburetors that were way out of tune (and then again the next year with EFI out of tune cause I only bolted it on), then I think a Civic should be able to. LOL Plus there was the years before that when the old USDM engine passed with a horrible stock carb and another year with a weber 32/36...

Old 01-22-2006, 11:28 PM

in logan (northern utah), there are no emissions. Only time they even check is if you are puffing a ton of smoke then they will give you a fix-it ticket then once its fixed then you go get it tested There is talk about enforcing emissions but equipment and **** is expensive
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (InJ3cted)

Thanks guys for the info... I leave on Friday and I don't think I am going to get the car sold here so that is proably what I will have to do...
Old 01-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have to have your car registered and sniffed in the same county that you live in, if you get it done in tooele you will have to have a physical mailing address that they can reach you at. It is not hard to pass the safety and emissions here, as long as there is no CEL and you pass the sniffer it is all good.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Utah's SMOG laws (saywhat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saywhat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to have your car registered and sniffed in the same county that you live in, if you get it done in tooele you will have to have a physical mailing address that they can reach you at. It is not hard to pass the safety and emissions here, as long as there is no CEL and you pass the sniffer it is all good. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the info.... The CEL light is fine, I am just over the mark here on the emissions side which what I am most worried about.. Thanks again for the info
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 74celicagt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do have trouble with the sniffer, you'd only need to go north til you get out of Davis county, or else get a friend in Tooele (west of SLC on I-80). Those would be the best options so you don't end up too far away from home.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know this tread is over a year old but I am ready to get this done now. It's been long enough. You mentioned to get a friend in say Tooele. I am assuming I need to provide a hard address. Back home he had to provide a piece of mail with your name and the address to show that you lived there. Is that the case here also? I have an option to reg. it out in Tooele but will I need to prove that I live there? Thanks again for all the help...

Quick Reply: Utah's SMOG laws