Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:31 AM
grammer nawzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection

I am going to be registering my 97 coupe with B16 in it (due to hating CA smog laws), and I was reading through the list of things to inspect. . . and came up with a list of things that I don't have that I might need:
1. Don't have a horn on my car, the steering wheel has no horn button
2. When you pull my whiper control back I don't have the motor or crap that makes it spit out fluid on the windshield
3. No airbag on drivers side

I believe those are my only problems, not sure if anyone on here has delt with that, or knows if I can still pass with not meeting those requirements. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Anyone have a hook-up for those inspections? Might make things easier.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:52 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection (sicky)

bump
Old 09-01-2005, 07:44 AM
Will you make something up for me please?

Default Re: Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. Don't have a horn on my car, the steering wheel has no horn button
2. When you pull my whiper control back I don't have the motor or crap that makes it spit out fluid on the windshield
3. No airbag on drivers side
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. You do need a horn, they sometimes check for it. You MAY get away with it if they don't check. Of the few times I've been to the inspection station, I think I've heard them check it once.
2. No, that doesn't matter. Your wipers should work though.
3. You are required to have a driver's side airbag after a certain year, and a passenger side after a certain year. I'm not sure of the year, but I'm 100% sure a 1997 car needs to have at least the driver's. Do you have an aftermarket wheel? Or do you have just the airbag removed, but the wheel looks stock? (i.e.: a normal person wouldn't know by looking at it?) In that case, you might get away with it if your ABS light isn't on.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:05 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection (shamoo)

ABS light does not come on, and it's an aftermarket wheel. You in NJ or Utah?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a stock steering wheel or if you are cheap, get a diagram of the cluster plug and cut the ABS light wire. I've heard of people doing this to the check engine light.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection (fast88std)

You cant just cut the wires to the dash lights like that. I dont know for sure but I would guess that they will look to see if they come on for a second when you turn the car on at first(you know what i'm talking about right?). What you should do is wire the ABS or CEL in with the battery light in the dash, cause it comes on too just like those others. Then there will be no questions about it Or you could just get the car to work right
Old 09-02-2005, 09:51 AM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection (TurboCoop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboCoop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You cant just cut the wires to the dash lights like that. I dont know for sure but I would guess that they will look to see if they come on for a second when you turn the car on at first(you know what i'm talking about right?). What you should do is wire the ABS or CEL in with the battery light in the dash, cause it comes on too just like those others. Then there will be no questions about it Or you could just get the car to work right </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, just sucks that my car can pass smog test here in cali, but my motor will fail a visual cause it's older than the car; to make **** happen in Utah I fall short not on smog, but on a horn and drivers side airbag. I just want to find someone that has gone through it recently or that does them so I know if I need to worry about getting the car 100% for UT. Don't want to drive 8 hours to get a big **** you, fix it.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:54 AM

so your going to utah to pass your car, but you live in california? if thats the case, go to nevada, they dont have safety, and emissions. if you are moving to utah, then you will have to pass safety, and emissions. I dont ever remember they honking your horn in the safety inspection, but since its a newer car, you might have to go to the government inspection. thats how it was when i lived in utah. they are more strict.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: Utah Honda-Techer's quick question regarding safety inspection (medside)

In the county where I have property I just have to take the car to any gas station and have the inspection. There is no smog in the county either. Thanks for the help/advice so far. Hopefully I will get some more info, just so I don't waste a ****-ton of gas
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok what county is it, washington?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:21 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (EJ1D16Z6)

Iron. Will be in Cedar City to get it all done.