Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Using Legend Calipers on the EG

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using Legend Calipers on the EG

Hey guys I've been doing some reading and there doesn't seem to be much information on swapping in the Legend calipers into an EG hatch/coupe/4dr

I am very interested in upgrading my front brakes using factory OEM Honda parts but would love to find some information doing so.

From what I read...It's best to use Si/EX hub on the car to make the job easier.

Unfortunately there isn't much info on this swap that I could find so anybody that has done this or have some info and lets make this thread dedicated to the Legend caliper brake upgrade for our EG's
Old 05-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (Mr.RHTuner)

Pick up the latest issue of Honda Tuning (June 2005), they did a good write up. They use a Prelude rotor and redrilled it to 4x100.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (93civicsedan)

Why not just upgrade to GSR brakes? It's so much easier and it's been done so many times...
Old 05-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (Cboy1-EG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cboy1-EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not just upgrade to GSR brakes? It's so much easier and it's been done so many times... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I thought about it but the price is stupid high for that setup to get here in ontario
I'd like to focus mainly on Vigor/Legend calipers and trying to mount them onto the 5th gen.

I'll check up the Honda Tunning mag tonite
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up for some info on the brake upgrade
Old 05-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cboy1-EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why not just upgrade to GSR brakes? It's so much easier and it's been done so many times... </TD></TR></TABLE>

GSR ISNT SPECIAL!! ALL INTEGRA BRAKES ARE THE SAME!! (minus itr of course)
ALL have 57mm pistons

Plus legend/nsx calipers are 2 piston and much better than the integra's.
The only work that needs to be done is having rotors redrilled - and it isnt difficult.....
Old 05-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always wondered why the pistons looked soo much the same...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Plus legend/nsx calipers are 2 piston and much better than the integra's.
The only work that needs to be done is having rotors redrilled - and it isnt difficult.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

and lining up the rotors/calipers, whether it be by grinding or spacing.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:26 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (743power)

Another option would be to keep your existing knuckles (from the 9.4" brakes) and use Legend calipers, and 10.2" integra rotors. It's been shown to work with Type R calipers, and 10.2" rotors.

Either way, your still going to need to shave the caliper bracket. Also, your going to need a larger master cylinder (no matter which way you go). I think a 1" MC is necissary for those calipers...

Keep in mind that you may actually hurt your stopping distances, while increasing fade resistance. Your going to be shifting your brake balance forward with the larger pistons & rotors. All this on an already forward biased system (from the factory) will cause your rear brakes to be underpowered. This leads to increased stopping distance. All decent "Big Brake" kits (stoptech, willwood, brembo) consist of larger rotors & smaller caliper pistons to keep the brake balance as close to stock as possible for just this reason...
Old 05-24-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont see why people shave it when a small spacer can be used instead.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:36 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont see why people shave it when a small spacer can be used instead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

because it can cause your rims/wheels to rub. Also, spacers give you a wider track in the front than rear (unless you use them in the rear too). This can change the handling of the car. It doesn't seem worth it since your not really incresing braking performance...
Old 05-24-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We're not talking about spacers that large though....
Old 05-31-2005, 08:52 AM

hey go out and pic up this months isssue of honda tunning magazine they do this setup on an ej, im doing it to mine. its the june issue it has a nice ef hatch on the cover aricle called old school booste . great mag recomend a subscription to it
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com
Old 05-31-2005, 09:18 AM

or get civic EX front brakes..they are 10.2 also.

Old 05-31-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Y not just a VW Corrado rotor its already 11" and its 4x100
Old 05-31-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Y not just a VW Corrado rotor its already 11" and its 4x100</TD></TR></TABLE>

its a different offset than a honda rotor.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats the offset of the VW rotor. we just put some 16's on my friend's rado and they were 16x7 +35 offset so i thought they would be very similar.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

arent legend calipers the same as NSX calipers except they dont say NSX.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:51 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (a_kaibigan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_kaibigan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">arent legend calipers the same as NSX calipers except they dont say NSX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't believe so. I want to say that the NSX caliper has different size pistons than the Legend calipers. I also want to say that the NSX caliper has something else to aid in cooling, but I'm not real sure about that. It's been awhile since I've researched the Legend and NSX calipers, I was going to do that swap on my Accord.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of mixed information in this thread
Old 05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (jmayhew)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jmayhew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
or get civic EX front brakes..they are 10.2 also.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because ex/si brakes are smaller than the 57mm that integras are

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a_kaibigan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">arent legend calipers the same as NSX calipers except they dont say NSX.</TD></TR></TABLE>
As far as the known h-t population is concerned, they are the same. Until someone with both can measure the piston diameter of each, it will remain that rumor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a lot of mixed information in this thread</TD></TR></TABLE>
As always
Old 05-31-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: (POE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a lot of mixed information in this thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah for real...

The legend and NSX ARE the same...

the prelude SH and Type R's ARE the same...

the spacer used to space out the rotor is VERY small.. 3-5mm... SOMETIMES depending on the wheel you need to use an additional wheel spacer (between the rotor and the wheel) to get the wheel to clear...

The Corrodo Rotors WILL NEVER EVER EVER fit... they're the right diameter and lug pattern however they have a MUCH MUCH smaller offset... so you'd have to cut off the rotor hat and weld on a larger one (Obviously not something ANYONE would EVER do).

I have a 93 civic ex with NO abs and the prelude/itr/nsx/legend calipers ALL bolt up to my spindles... the only issues are the offset of the caliper...

It was mentioned in another thread that honda makes different caliper mount brackets that are different offsets... you could probobly make those work without the need for spacing the rotor or grinding the bracket... although no particular part number was tested and confirmed.

I don't have links on my work machine but I can post up some links when I get home...

Basically you want the thread by "emerika" (he has a new name now I don't know what it is but I have the thread at home...)

I will post some links when I get home...

search for "hype R" you'll probobly find it...
Old 05-31-2005, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Using Legend Calipers on the EG (pdiggitydogg)

My friend says that on his 93 Acura Vigor the vigor has older NSX calipers...can anybody clarify that?

I don't belive it because the size of the calipers is nothing compared to NSX calipers that I've seen.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do we actually have verification on legend/nsx pistons though?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

again I don't have time to find it now but someone went through the trouble of searching the online parts store for replacement pistons for both the NSX and a certain Gen Legend and they were the same size...

Quick Reply: Using Legend Calipers on the EG