Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

using impact on b series tranny

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using impact on b series tranny

I have some questions regarding taking off my transmission off my b series motor. I was wondering if you really need an impact gun to brake the bolts loose to take the tranny off the motor? I was also wondering what you guys can recommend on purchasing an impact if it is needed and what sockets to use like impact swivels or just straight one or what size gun with what torque. I don’t want to buy an expensive gun but I don’t want to buy a crappy one. I am not going to take my tranny off all the time and put it back on I just want something decent to take care of the job. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Old 02-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (moz92)

an impact will make the removal of bolts easier. i always use an air ratchet. for removal and install. never use an impact to install the tranny bolts!

Modified by brick top at 11:23 PM 2/5/2007
Old 02-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (brick top)

squeeze a socket onto the end of ur finger, that should do the job mate.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As your car ages, and as you replace more and more older bits, you'll find an impact wrench makes removing old parts easier.

What I'm saying is - you won't just use your impact on your transmission mount, you'll end up using it to remove all kinds of pain-in-the-**** old corroded bolts.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (MonkeyBoy668)

when i took off my tranny. I didn't have an impact gun or any air tools. I used a breaker bar to get the bolt loose and basic socket and wrenches.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (shyboi4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I didn't have an impact gun or any air tools. I used a breaker bar to get the bolt loose and basic socket and wrenches. </TD></TR></TABLE>

but air tools make the job so much easier!
Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (shyboi4u)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shyboi4u &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when i took off my tranny. I didn't have an impact gun or any air tools. I used a breaker bar to get the bolt loose and basic socket and wrenches. </TD></TR></TABLE>

To be fair, I don't have an impact wrench, and I've snapped plenty of bolts using breaker bars. Keep in mind though that I live in the rust belt, so bolts & nuts get really ugly in a matter of months. I may finally break down and buy a basic impact wrench this summer when I start working on my car again, last summer was very frustrating.

BTW, to the OP, I don't know what impact sockets you can buy that swivel. All the stuff I've ever seen is straight-up black iron/steel impact sockets that look similar to normal sockets.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM

you dont neccicarly need a impact to do it but for thouse of us that do this for a living would not live a day without them. i would recomend getting a 3/8 impact and also a 3/8 air ratchet and 1/4 air ratchet. the inmact will bassicly get you lugs and most bold off the car you will need. the air ratchets just make it that much faster and easier on you. the brand of my coice would be IR. i live by them and never had a problem. thats just my opinion.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (onephatcivic98)

i did like 15 swaps before i got air tools and yes it does make everything easier
Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: using impact on b series tranny (brick top)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brick top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but air tools make the job so much easier!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh yea, no doubt about that but I had to deal with what I had.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was refering to the impact sockets that are jointed i dont really know what the are really called but swivel but not swivel all the way . i was wondering if the bolts have to be removed in criss cross patter and do the bolt have to be torqued back to spec in a criss cross pattern
Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (moz92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brick top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but air tools make the job so much easier!</TD></TR></TABLE>

And if you don't have 'em due to finances easier isn't always an option.

@ OP:
Yes they will make the job easier, also less chance of breaking them. Needed? No. Some elbow grease and a breaker bar can do the trick.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brick top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an impact will make the removal of bolts easier. i always use an air rachet. for removal and install. never use an impact to install the tranny bolts!</TD></TR></TABLE>

You have no idea how many tranny bolts I've seen installed w/ an impact wrench. Nothing happened to them either.

What are you going to say, he was gifted with an impact gun?

Depends what it is, like don't use them for a headgasket as they're obviously not precise, but putting tranny bolts in is fine .
Old 02-05-2007, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And if you don't have 'em due to finances easier isn't always an option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes i know. i was messing around.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have no idea how many tranny bolts I've seen installed w/ an impact wrench. Nothing happened to them either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same here but i've seen my share of stripped holes also. a small impact im sure would work fine, but still a precaution in my book.

Modified by brick top at 11:45 PM 2/5/2007
Old 02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
SlowCivic29

dont forget that u cant get an impact and blow into it. electric ones are expensive, and so are air compressors. or decent ones atleast. I'm lucky enough wher ei can pull my car in at work with 90PSI shop hoses. Also an IR even the TI series (think i have like 2125Ti or something) 3/8ths wont remove most old bolts. I would go with a small 1/2 inch drive, by either IR or CP (chicago pneumatic) and a 3/8 drive air ratchet. 1/4 is good for installing valve covers to a safe torque, but an air ratchet has enough control where once u feel pressure stop squeezing... I hardly ever use my 3/8 impact.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that im just going to use breaker bars to take care of the job. i was at sears and the ir and craftsman air guns are expensive. i already have a 11 3.5hp compressor. when i have the money then ill by a couple of those guns. my buddy said he will let me borrow his guns just in case i run into trouble.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Very good investment if you dont have one yet. Makes jobs soo much quicker and easier. I doubt this will be the last thing you do to your honda. Get one if you can afford it, plus get a big compressor. A compressor turning on constantly or barely getting any time with using without the tank recharging is hella annoying.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imburne)

is as 3.5 11 gallon compressor good? i havent even used it once to know. i have a option of gettting a 19 gallon compressor w/ 5hp. would the bigger compressor be better or would the one i have do the job. i wa going to gte the bigger one but its the lack of space in garage that held me back from buying.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (moz92)

I use my impact gun to tighten the transmission bolts as well...but I have a 3-step air limiter that keeps the torque output below 80 foot pounds I don't suggest being real gung-ho with the air tools unless you can limit the torque output, as one stripped hole on the engine block can ruin your entire project.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

where can i get a torque limiter and how much?
Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you get a 3/8 impact gun. I suggest the snap on 3/8 impact gun. Very strong for it's size. I use it everyday taking lug nuts off.