Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Useful mods 95 Civic Hatchback

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Useful mods 95 Civic Hatchback

Hey folks. I read the sticky but this may still be in completely the wrong spot, mods please forgive me.

I have a CX Hatch, and although I may have big plans for it in the future, my intentions currently are to have the most functional car possible that's great on gas. My Civic is almost completely stock and that's how I'd like to keep it for a while, not interested in I/H/E and OH MINI-ME THAT THANG ASAP type stuff.

I'm looking for functionality, anything really, mostly interior.

For example, this car has no center console, and that's where I'm used to putting my stuff. Suggestions? Also, no tach, so I'll be swapping in an EX/LX/SI cluster when I find one at the junkyard.

What do you guys do to make the inside of your car more functional for every day use? My phone and stuff flies everywhere. I've seen retrofits for little storage compartments from other cars. Anyone tried anything like that?

Is there a way to make my gas gauge less responsive to cornering so it's not all over the map during city driving?

Is the adjustment to the steering rack actually worth the work to firm up the steering?

Is a rear disc conversion worth the trouble, considering possible swaps in the future? Is a kit the best route, or am I better off putting the swap together on my own?

Are stiffening mods like sway bars and such actually going to make a difference on an otherwise stock car?

Really, and I hope none of you take this the wrong way, but I'm just looking to improve my experience using the platform Honda approved and adding functionality on a car that has like no options at all heh. Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Useful mods 95 Civic Hatchback

The best mods for practicality for your 95 hatch are, JDM arm rest, typically 120 bucks USD on ebay.

Rear speakers, also typically 120 bucks on ebay for the panels and brackets.

JDM double din center console, I am not sure the typical asking price, think it might be in the 200 range.
Actually seems to range between 150 ish and 400 depending on condition.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/jdm-eg-center-console

Then there is the heated mirrors option found on H-T written up by deschlong.

With that you can also do the power windows/mirrors and door lock mod also a good write up here at H-T.

And there is the head light on chime mod you can do with the CRV ICU in the fuse box. Once again another write up found on H-T by deschlong.

There is also a good write up for the rear speaker install here on H-T once you have the brackets and panels.

The parts are becoming harder and harder to find.

Also you can cheat the JDM arm rest by getting a blue/burgundy/brown and maybe grey arm rest from a 92-95 sedan and then use SEM plastic prep, adhesive promoter and landau black paint to get the same JDM black interior look of the armrest that is pretty resistant to scratches and sun fade etc.

That's pretty much the best practical mods for the car while staying pretty much stock performance.

To easily locate the write ups on H-T use google and start the search terms with "site:honda-tech.com" without quotes and add your search terms separated by spaces i.e "site:honda-tech.com DIY" without quotes will net you DIY threads on Honda-Tech.com.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like "TomCat39" I'm also a CX owner and he pretty much nailed it. The only other thing you can do without getting majorly complicated is reduce drag. That you can make as simple or as complicated as you like. I have nothing left to add.

Last edited by 24TEN; 12-29-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:17 PM
I requested a short story for a title.

I might have an eg cluster with tach in my garage since I sold my eg civic over a year ago I no longer need it..ill check when I get home.

I love the eg hatch body style and simplicity..unfortunately they have all fallen victim to f&f and rust around here
Old 12-29-2015, 02:46 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really should go read the FAQ sticky. It covers more than half of your questions. You should also give us an idea as to your intentions with the car - "useful mods" will be different between a track ****, a pure DD, or any of the other things people use cars for.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:11 PM
The Credible Hulk

I have a 92 CX

You can buy a new USDM armrest/center console still...

You can put an Integra trunk light in.

There are better/more comfortable options for seats.

I installed a head unit with Bluetooth compatibility.

I installed a secondary 12V plug in the pass side of the center console.

Get creative. These chassis are like Legos. You can swap all kinds of DC suspension parts on when you're ready to upgrade handling a bit.
Old 12-29-2015, 03:17 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
You can put an Integra trunk light in.
Where does that fit onto a Hatchback?
Old 12-29-2015, 03:20 PM
The Credible Hulk

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Where does that fit onto a Hatchback?
Right here...

Old 12-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
You really should go read the FAQ sticky. It covers more than half of your questions. You should also give us an idea as to your intentions with the car - "useful mods" will be different between a track ****, a pure DD, or any of the other things people use cars for.
I've been reading through the FAQ, I was more interested in what people have done that's useful, like that common Ford cup holder/change tray swap that people do. Also, I will someday drop a B18 into this car, but for now my only intention is to tinker around with a stock car and use it as a daily driver. The post yielded a lot of interesting results, though.

Also, though the FAQ covers a ton of write-ups for the brake conversion and installation of suspension components for example, my question "is it really worth swapping x based on my current plan of having a DD" is not answered by the explanation of how to complete a job I already know how to complete. "Useful" in this context is I guess more easily summed up by "if you had something you'd like your car to have/do that it currently doesn't, what would it be?" Like the little sunglasses cargo thing that goes in front of the rear view mirror, or the addition of speakers (thank you guy who posted that) or the center console information (thank you for that too)

Originally Posted by stocker2shocker91
I might have an eg cluster with tach in my garage since I sold my eg civic over a year ago I no longer need it..ill check when I get home.

I love the eg hatch body style and simplicity..unfortunately they have all fallen victim to f&f and rust around here

If you do I'd be stoked to grab it from you, let me know! I see auto clusters all day, but I don't really want a big PRNDL in the middle of my dash if I don't need it haha. I've been reading that the swap is plug-and-play, and also that I can drop out the speedo and reinstall it in the new cluster so I can keep my original mileage, so if you have a manual one I'm very interested.

Awesome replies, folks, thanks. I've never bothered to research anything about this car until I started looking for one, so any cool ideas for useful stuff would be awesome. I'm kind of thinking about wiring in a power inverter (spelling? it allows for standard wall plugs, probably the wrong name) because I've always done that and they're super useful for me professionally, and I would REALLY like to find heated seat components that would work, especially after reading that they were an option at one point.

Edit: I JUST got this car, too, so it doesn't even have plates on it yet, so I'm in no rush to find weird stuff to do to it. I'm also in the middle of putting a Ford 302 V8 into a 1976 280z, so most of my time and money will be invested in that anyway.

Thanks again, and keep the ideas coming if they crop up in the old noggin.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by burnoutboy
Right here...

Very nice, thank you, pretty cool little mod.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:32 PM
I requested a short story for a title.

Crap I was not even thinking about that, its an auto cluster
Old 12-30-2015, 09:55 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Open cluster, apply black strip of electrical tape over auto lights, done.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Open cluster, apply black strip of electrical tape over auto lights, done.
Do you have a pic of this being done that doesn't look like crap? Not hatin', just sayin'. Seems like a kinda crap way to do it.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:33 AM
The Credible Hulk

It's not a direct plug and play but it's a pretty simple wire in. TOTALLY worth it with a decent LED bulb in there.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

"yoyothekid" - It is a crap way of doing it. It's gonna look exactly like it sounds. The alternative is to cover the whole thing in tape so that you don't just focus on a single strip LOL

When I did it, it was obvious but only when you look directly at it. Who looks directly at it when they're driving anyway? If it really bothers you, take a picture of that particular face and edit out the auto part, print, then lay that over. Presto, no auto, no tape.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yoyothekid
Also, though the FAQ covers a ton of write-ups for the brake conversion and installation of suspension components for example, my question "is it really worth swapping x based on my current plan of having a DD" is not answered by the explanation of how to complete a job I already know how to complete. "Useful" in this context is I guess more easily summed up by "if you had something you'd like your car to have/do that it currently doesn't, what would it be?"
I am actually picking up the parts to do the rear brake conversion on my DX. I will be doing it to gain experience working on a vehicle and I also justifying it because it'll be easier when I have to change my brake pads in the future.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 93 coupe and adding the rear sway bar seemed to tighten things up a bit. You don't have to go overboard with a large bar. I simply got the stock one off a 95 sedan if I recall.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear disc upgrade is nowhere near as useful as upgrading the fronts to ex/integra. op- replace every ball joint, bushing, tie rod end before bothering with any chassis "improvements". you'd be amazed at what replacing 10-20 year old suspension parts can do.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
the rear disc upgrade is nowhere near as useful as upgrading the fronts to ex/integra. op- replace every ball joint, bushing, tie rod end before bothering with any chassis "improvements". you'd be amazed at what replacing 10-20 year old suspension parts can do.

It's on the list, thank you. This is something I can certainly handle on my day off heh. The tie rod ends might be a pain, considering they've been on there for 20 years, but we'll see. Because I'll be going for the GSR swap in the next year or so I guess I could probably just spring (pun) for coil-overs now and install them while I'm doing this and that's two birds I suppose.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The si's came with the trunk light
Old 01-01-2016, 12:59 PM
assplay

Needs a drop and a lip
Old 01-02-2016, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bassplay
Needs a drop and a lip
Yup. That way I can crash into speed bumps and potholes, and the lip will protect me.

This car has 70 horsepower new, I'm not entirely sure a drop and a lip are at all useful.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by egsleepercivic
The si's came with the trunk light
Ontario Dealership only asking 21.45 CAD for the SI hatchback trunk room light.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

here is the part # and link for anybody looking for the trunk light

34260-SH3-004 001 001 LIGHT ASSY., TRUNK ROOM
32.23 22.24

Honda Automotive Parts
Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

do the optional center console, an arm rest, si cluster and del sol seats. your list sounds similar to what I wanted, however I have a 99 hatch so slightly different. a good set of coilovers and wheels, like kosei k1 with fairly decent tires. I'd personally keep rear drums for now, and maybe put on door visors if they interest you.window tint, and change the steering wheel to a non srs itr one for fairly cheap. keep it simple and oem, you'll really like it I think.

Quick Reply: Useful mods 95 Civic Hatchback