Used trans prep ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 02:42 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used trans prep ?

Good morning Honda fam
i rebuilt my z6 completely but I know nothing about mounting trans’s up as I’m not very familiar with this part.

I bought my cousins trans which is very healthy, no pops or grinds. Is there any prep I should do before mounting it up to my block ? Or could I just slap it on ?
Had my flywheel resurfaced of course.
thanks In advance guys
Old 06-19-2018, 03:06 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: Used trans prep ?

Originally Posted by K-G
Good morning Honda fam
i rebuilt my z6 completely but I know nothing about mounting trans’s up as I’m not very familiar with this part.

I bought my cousins trans which is very healthy, no pops or grinds. Is there any prep I should do before mounting it up to my block ? Or could I just slap it on ?
Had my flywheel resurfaced of course.
thanks In advance guys
While the tranny is off, it is generally advised to replace the rear main seal and throwout bearing. Also check the input shaft for any play. Be sure to drain and refill with fresh Honda MTF.

On the shift linkage, be sure the proper roll pin is used and check that the bushings and hardware are OEM and correctly installed.

Last edited by 2x0; 06-19-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:58 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
While the tranny is off, it is generally advised to replace the rear main seal and throwout bearing. Also check the input shaft for any play. Be sure to drain and refill with fresh Honda MTF.

On the linkage, be sure the proper roll pin is used and check that the bushings and hardware are OEM and correctly installed.
Thanks for the reply
i have already replaced the main seal, it was originally leaking from it so that has been taken care of.
Will definitely inspect the shaft & throw out bearing as well as put some fresh fluid.
Thank you !
Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Everything he said, plus a new clutch kit. Also may as well do the pilot bearing. One of those deals where you should service/replace everything possible since it's a pita to do any other time. Also be sure to lube up the input shaft yoke, would suck to knick the seal.

Harbor freight sells a good little trans jack for like $100, has a ratchet strap to secure it and a tilt feature plus casters, makes it do-able as a one person job. Still recommend a friend though lol. Also some creativity\flexibility required to get all the bell housing bolts unless you're like me and have a crazy variety of tools
Old 06-19-2018, 08:07 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Wonabe
Everything he said, plus a new clutch kit. Also may as well do the pilot bearing. One of those deals where you should service/replace everything possible since it's a pita to do any other time. Also be sure to lube up the input shaft yoke, would suck to knick the seal.

Harbor freight sells a good little trans jack for like $100, has a ratchet strap to secure it and a tilt feature plus casters, makes it do-able as a one person job. Still recommend a friend though lol. Also some creativity\flexibility required to get all the bell housing bolts unless you're like me and have a crazy variety of tools
Good points, I just assume someone would replace the clutch while the tranny is out if it's not already fairly new.

And meh, I had the tranny in and out of mine twice last year by myself, it's doable with just a floor jack and some patience
Old 06-20-2018, 05:16 AM
K-G
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys. Exactly the info I was after.
I forgot to mention the motors on a stand and out of the car so mounting it up is not gonna be that bad. Lucky me haha
edit: my clutch kit that I bought previously was less than a year old. Got some life left in it. Just trying to get my first ever car back up & running
Old 06-20-2018, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Good points, I just assume someone would replace the clutch while the tranny is out if it's not already fairly new.

And meh, I had the tranny in and out of mine twice last year by myself, it's doable with just a floor jack and some patience
I can take transmissions off of FWD Honda engines all day. S2K's are where it gets to be a huge PITA lol.

Give the transmission case a good silver rattle can paint job before you throw it on the engine/into the bay!