Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Questions about 96-98 Civic front end.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 96-98 Civic front end.

Car is a 98 Honda Civic EX. I have a couple questions about splash shields and supports for the front bumper. I am getting a new front end soon, as mine is pretty beat up and not in the best condition.

1.) My current front bumper is held on by a zip tie on each side, two bolts on either side on the top attaching it to the actual frame, and four or five plastic screws which go through the grill attaching it to the frame. I have no splash shield under my front end, and my bumper is not attached anywhere underneath. Is the splash shield needed to secure the bumper underneath?

2.) I have heard people talking about front bumper supports. What are these, and where can I pick some up?

3.) When I get a new front end, should I get the inner fender liners also? I live in the midwest so winters get pretty brutal.

4.) When I get a new front end, should I get OEM hardware, or just get some bolts from a hardware store?

5.) While I'm on the topic of front ends... I have some Depo square foglights, and I want to get DDM tuning HID's for them. Would the H3 bulb kit be plug and play with the Depo fogs? Or will I have to fabricate something up?
Old 01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Questions about 96-98 Civic front end.

Also, I was looking at front bumpers on Majestic Honda, and they are roughly 150 shipped. How is this possible? I thought they were a lot more expensive. Are they legit OEM? And do they come with primered?
Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap'N Chronic
Also, I was looking at front bumpers on Majestic Honda, and they are roughly 150 shipped. How is this possible? I thought they were a lot more expensive. Are they legit OEM? And do they come with primered?
It's called clearing out inventory.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Car is a 98 Honda Civic EX. I have a couple questions about splash shields and supports for the front bumper. I am getting a new front end soon, as mine is pretty beat up and not in the best condition.

1.) My current front bumper is held on by a zip tie on each side, two bolts on either side on the top attaching it to the actual frame, and four or five plastic screws which go through the grill attaching it to the frame. I have no splash shield under my front end, and my bumper is not attached anywhere underneath. Is the splash shield needed to secure the bumper underneath?

2.) I have heard people talking about front bumper supports. What are these, and where can I pick some up?

3.) When I get a new front end, should I get the inner fender liners also? I live in the midwest so winters get pretty brutal.

4.) When I get a new front end, should I get OEM hardware, or just get some bolts from a hardware store?

5.) While I'm on the topic of front ends... I have some Depo square foglights, and I want to get DDM tuning HID's for them. Would the H3 bulb kit be plug and play with the Depo fogs? Or will I have to fabricate something up?
1. IIRC it's a screw/washer in either upper wheel well, seven plastic clips across the upper grille and between the headlights and two bolts under the front end (they're about a foot apart from each other). I've seen plenty of cars without the bolts on the bottom and no, I don't recall them going into the plastic liner. They're certainly not secured by the plastic splash guard.

2. The bumper support is the metal bumper under the plastic bumper cover that you see. If you look on HondaPartsDeals.com you'll see there's the bumper cover, remove that and there's a styrofoam piece that mounts to the metal of the car (the styrofoam helps in low speed impacts and will likely help keep the bumper from cracking in such a situation), and the styrofoam is mounted to the metal bumper which attaches to the car.

3. I personally love the fender liners. They help keep the engine bay MUCH cleaner. We had a car here with the liners and one without. Both 6th gen Civics. The one without used to collect gravel on the tops of the frame rails and shock towers.

4. I prefer OE hardware, which you should be able to find pretty easily at your local junkyard (please claim nuts and bolts at the front desk; theft is theft). As long as you get the right pitch and all aftermarket should be fine though. Make sure any metal pieces won't rust up.

5. Not sure about the HID, but all the '96-'98 OE and replica foglights I've seen use H3 light bulbs. You might want to search for more info on that one.
You'd have to check with them to be sure, but remember these vehicles are 14 years old at best.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

majestic wont ship bumpers or even fenders Hyperblu had this problem 2 months back
Old 01-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my fog lights I ordered online were sealed for the 96 front end and I couldnt put HIDS in just make sure before you buy
Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check local sales for bumpers and if your fender liners need replacing then replace them.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by EFPhilly
my fog lights I ordered online were sealed for the 96 front end and I couldnt put HIDS in just make sure before you buy
What do you mean by sealed? The ones I've seen (OE, DEPO and Esuse) all seem to have the removable panel on the backside and the thick glass lens is fused to the front of the metal assembly. It might be separable if baked...
Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
What do you mean by sealed? The ones I've seen (OE, DEPO and Esuse) all seem to have the removable panel on the backside and the thick glass lens is fused to the front of the metal assembly. It might be separable if baked...
Yeah, mine look to be one piece. They're the square glass ones. I'm going to attempt to open them up someday when I find the time.

Originally Posted by slate13530
Check local sales for bumpers and if your fender liners need replacing then replace them.
I have no fender liners at all, I was just curious if they make much of a difference.

Originally Posted by Wrona
majestic wont ship bumpers or even fenders Hyperblu had this problem 2 months back
Why will they not ship them? Too much of a hassle?
Originally Posted by NOFX

2. The bumper support is the metal bumper under the plastic bumper cover that you see. If you look on HondaPartsDeals.com you'll see there's the bumper cover, remove that and there's a styrofoam piece that mounts to the metal of the car (the styrofoam helps in low speed impacts and will likely help keep the bumper from cracking in such a situation), and the styrofoam is mounted to the metal bumper which attaches to the car.

3. I personally love the fender liners. They help keep the engine bay MUCH cleaner. We had a car here with the liners and one without. Both 6th gen Civics. The one without used to collect gravel on the tops of the frame rails and shock towers.
2. Ah, I have always called that metal piece a crash bar. When I bought my car it didn't have one, so I went and got one from a local junkyard. It helped hold the bumper in place a ton, and gave me some peace of mind so if I was to get in an accident it would help reduce the overall damage.

3. I think I will probably get some then. I don't remember the exact price on Majestic, but I don't think they were too terribly expensive.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was at Autozone today, and I went and looked at H3 headlights, and the plugs on them were completely different than the plugs on my H3 foglights. I'm not sure if they're different because they're headlights or what, but I'm going to open my foglights up sometime and see what the plug for the bulb actually looks like.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:50 PM
H-T White Ops

Hi bulb should be a small bulb with a wire and a spade on the end.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first, get the oem fender liners and slash shields they are not used for fitting but they keep the bay MUCH cleaner.

and under the bumper their is a stryfom piece the keep the bumper from sagging/absorbing impacts and a metal beam(dont know why this wouldnt be there but if its not, its def needed and dont skimp on the absorber either its there for a reason!)

as for majestic i dont know if its just body parts but i just order some wheels and they are being shipped as i type this out...so i were you i would contact with them things might have changed

as for hardware its hard to say some are just nuts and bolts(i like honda but not enough to give them a coulpe of dollars for srews i could get for cents at a hardware store), some pieces are specific honda made brackets and stuff that cant be found other places.

i know nothing about hid's
Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, tore my fog light apart tonight. There is a little plate that comes off on the back and the bulb is inside along with the ground. This is what the bulb looks like.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAw#ps-sellers

My question, is how would you hook up a ballst for an HID kit to that?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Well, tore my fog light apart tonight. There is a little plate that comes off on the back and the bulb is inside along with the ground. This is what the bulb looks like.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAw#ps-sellers

My question, is how would you hook up a ballst for an HID kit to that?
you need an H3 HID Kit
Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ended up finding a replacement bulb while browsing around at a local auto store. Works great now. And I'm just not sure how you would hook the ballst for an HID kit up to the light because its all in a little sealed housing on the back of the assembly thats about 1"x1". No room for a ballst in there.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You might want to skip on HID Fogs... When it comes down to it the Fog lights will be your best friend when heavy fog hits, when I was driving in the fog last week my headlights couldn't do ****. They happen to be retrofitted FX-R's as well... CPI Yellow's... 15 bucks and they do a pretty damn good job. my2cents.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If ur going to get hardware jus go oem its the best way to just finish up a job n u wont have to search alot of places to get exactly wht u need only bad thin is it gets pricey :/
Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ReElay_
If ur going to get hardware jus go oem its the best way to just finish up a job n u wont have to search alot of places to get exactly wht u need only bad thin is it gets pricey :/
Yeah that's why I'm hesitant to go OEM with the hardware, they usually run a couple bucks a bolt
Old 01-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by david1787
You might want to skip on HID Fogs... When it comes down to it the Fog lights will be your best friend when heavy fog hits, when I was driving in the fog last week my headlights couldn't do ****. They happen to be retrofitted FX-R's as well... CPI Yellow's... 15 bucks and they do a pretty damn good job. my2cents.
Yeah they're bright as hell as it is, I'm just gonna get HID's for my headlights instead.