Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

usdm b16 vs. jdm b16

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default usdm b16 vs. jdm b16

i have searched and found nothing on this but i was just wondering what the difference between a usdm b16 and a jdm b16? whats the pros and cons of the 2?
thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: usdm b16 vs. jdm b16 (Spoon DelSol)

depends on which b16 you mean

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/specs.htm
Old 03-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: usdm b16 vs. jdm b16 (Spoon DelSol)

well the pros of the usdm one are that they are from america and mechanics have seen em before. i wouldnt take my car to japan to have the engine worked on but i wouldnt want an unexperienced mechanic workin on it either. i dont get why people want jdm motors in their car, i mean thats cool that they are japanese but unless you know how to work on em yourself it not smart imo.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:32 PM

can you use american parts with a jdm motor and will usdm trannys work with them
Old 03-06-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: usdm b16 vs. jdm b16 (c_mack9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon DelSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you use american parts with a jdm motor and will usdm trannys work with them
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes and yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c_mack9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the pros of the usdm one are that they are from america and mechanics have seen em before. i wouldnt take my car to japan to have the engine worked on but i wouldnt want an unexperienced mechanic workin on it either. i dont get why people want jdm motors in their car, i mean thats cool that they are japanese but unless you know how to work on em yourself it not smart imo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

they are practically they same thing not completly but close
Old 03-06-2005, 06:47 PM

so they aren't very much more difficult to work on than the usdm one? i am kinda confused you are both saying different things
Old 03-06-2005, 06:48 PM

The B16A is what the USDM 99-00 Si's had. the 88-91 JDM Si's had this engine. the Del-Sol V-Tec had two different B16's in them dependant on the year. OBD1 Del-Sol's had the B16A2 which was more highly tuned than the B16A and put out 170hp as opposed to 160, but in 96 when everyone had to go to OBD2, the engine was redone to meet stricter emissions and renamed the B16A3. Now when you talk about JDM engines as opposed to USDM enigines, is basically emissions controls, we're stricter here than they are in Japan. Japan's Civic Type-R (96-00)had a B16B which put out 185 hp. It is basically the same except for the tuning(camshafts, etc.). So the real differences are just the tuning of the engine. Oh, and by the way, Honda doesn't feel that American's are smart enough to work on their cars, so Honda technicians don't work on the enigines anyway, it's all R&R (Remove and Replace). Emissions and safety are the reasons we don't get the JDM spec engines in American Hondas, and besides, most Hondas are built in Canada.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:52 PM

so would i have a big problem passing the emission test if i have a jdm engine or will i still be able to slide buy
Old 03-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (Spoon DelSol)

well you have to use a engine that is of the same emissions standards (OBD1 has to use OBD1 and up, OBD2A has to use OBD2A and above, etc.) I don't know the exact emissions laws in your area, but I would find them out before so you don't end up swapping two engines.)
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM

well my car is OBD1 and they put them on a dyno and just test the exaust coming out of the tail pipe and make sure it isn't to bad so how hard would it be to pass
Old 03-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: usdm b16 vs. jdm b16 (hypoxvi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypoxvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The B16A is what the USDM 99-00 Si's had. the 88-91 JDM Si's had this engine. the Del-Sol V-Tec had two different B16's in them dependant on the year. OBD1 Del-Sol's had the B16A2 which was more highly tuned than the B16A and put out 170hp as opposed to 160, but in 96 when everyone had to go to OBD2, the engine was redone to meet stricter emissions and renamed the B16A3. Now when you talk about JDM engines as opposed to USDM enigines, is basically emissions controls, we're stricter here than they are in Japan. Japan's Civic Type-R (96-00)had a B16B which put out 185 hp. It is basically the same except for the tuning(camshafts, etc.). So the real differences are just the tuning of the engine. Oh, and by the way, Honda doesn't feel that American's are smart enough to work on their cars, so Honda technicians don't work on the enigines anyway, it's all R&R (Remove and Replace). Emissions and safety are the reasons we don't get the JDM spec engines in American Hondas, and besides, most Hondas are built in Canada. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16A2 is what the USDM 99-00 Si's had. The 88-91 JDM Si's had b16a 1st gen obd0 cable 160hp then came the obd1 hydro b16a in eg's 170hp. the Del-Sol V-Tec had the B16a3.... period. Japan basically doesn't believe in admissions...period. Japan's Civic Type-R had the B16B which put out 185 hp. It is alot different from the b16a as far as almost everything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civictildeath &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depends on which b16 you mean

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/specs.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's crap go here http://www.hondaswap.com/forum...29825

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon DelSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my car is OBD1 and they put them on a dyno and just test the exaust coming out of the tail pipe and make sure it isn't to bad so how hard would it be to pass</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a b16a and mine passes just fine so not hard
Old 03-06-2005, 07:09 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c_mack9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the pros of the usdm one are that they are from america and mechanics have seen em before. i wouldnt take my car to japan to have the engine worked on but i wouldnt want an unexperienced mechanic workin on it either. i dont get why people want jdm motors in their car, i mean thats cool that they are japanese but unless you know how to work on em yourself it not smart imo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well how hard is it to maintain a Honda motor? Hell, my car, along with the car of EVERYONE i know, has never even been in any kind of "shop"...except for new tires, i guess.

and btw, USDM and JDM is not as different as NIGHT and DAY.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypoxvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Japan's Civic Type-R (96-00)had a B16B which put out 185 hp. It is basically the same except for the tuning(camshafts, etc.). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually the b16b is built off of a b18c block.......so everything is pretty much different between the b16b and the b16's
Old 03-06-2005, 07:13 PM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hypoxvi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Japan's Civic Type-R (96-00)had a B16B which put out 185 hp. It is basically the same except for the tuning(camshafts, etc.). So the real differences are just the tuning of the engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

uh no. the only thing the same about a B16a and a B16b is the displacement.
Old 03-07-2005, 06:39 AM

ok everyone is saying different things about this swap. can i use my harness i have a usdm b16 in my delsol now? will it work? how much harder are they to work on? is this just a big bad idea? how much harder is it to pass emissions? and can i use usdm parts on one?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just rebuild your B16
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: (mikes99si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikes99si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just rebuild your B16</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol that has NOTHING do do with anything they have been talking about...
Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: usdm b16 vs. jdm b16 (Screwtape:)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screwtape: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uh no. the only thing the same about a B16a and a B16b is the displacement.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16a and B16b do use the same crank and therefore have the same stroke. They also use the same head with slightly different valvetrain. The block, rods and pistons are all different.

The differences between the JDM and USDM versions of the same engines is very minimal in most cases. Generally the JDM engines all run higher compression because of the better fuel over there, some have slightly better cams, LSD transmissions etc and have a higher stock power output. They are no different to work on than the USDM engines.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:09 AM

00red_sir that is the only post that makes any sense how hard is it going to be to pass emissions?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:32 PM

how do i know if its OBD0 or OBD1? the engine code just says B16A. what did these come in? is Noyan Engine a creditable place to get motors from because thats where this guy got this motor
Old 03-08-2005, 06:49 AM

the motor is a B16A OBD0 and is going into a delsol with a b16 already in it that is OBD1 can i just switch all the sensors from my b16 t o this one and have it work rite
Old 03-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon DelSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the motor is a B16A OBD0 and is going into a delsol with a b16 already in it that is OBD1 can i just switch all the sensors from my b16 t o this one and have it work rite</TD></TR></TABLE>

YES!!! If all you're doing is swapping your B16A3 (OBD1 Del Sol VTEC) in your Del Sol to an older JDM B16A (OBD0 88-91 EF SiR), it will drop right in. Just swap the dizzy, intake manifold, tb and all the sensors and that should do it.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:53 AM

will i be able it use my stock ecu? sorry about all the questions i just want to know what i am getting into. just everyone is saying different stuff and i am confused if someone can just make a little list of everything i will have to do to make this work, run good, and be reliable and pass emissions.
thanks
Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon DelSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will i be able it use my stock ecu? sorry about all the questions i just want to know what i am getting into. just everyone is saying different stuff and i am confused if someone can just make a little list of everything i will have to do to make this work, run good, and be reliable and pass emissions.
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes your OBD1 ecu, P30 will work, especially since you are using the same wires, sensors, dizzy, etc... BTW, whats wrong with your stock B16A3 ?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:41 PM

has a little oil leaking out of the head gasket very little and has alot of miles on it and i want lower miles because my tranny only has 50,xxx and i am moving to chicago.
so is that all i have to do?

Quick Reply: usdm b16 vs. jdm b16