Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upper coolant hose flattens out like a pancake after turning off engine...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper coolant hose flattens out like a pancake after turning off engine...?

I replaced the headgasket, water pump, thermostat, timing belt and some other goodies on my '95 DX Auto a few months back and it runs like new. I'm still averaging 33mpg city and about 37mpg on the highway so it's still in good shape mechanically even though it's well past the 150k mile mark.

The other day I opened the hood (after having driven it about an hour before that) and noticed that the upper coolant hose (between the radiator and head) flattens out like a pancake. I've noticed that this happens every time I allow the car to completely cool down after driving it.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

** Also, I know that the coolant temp gauge drops occasionally after putting the heater on full blast but it seems to stay below the normal operating temp when I put the heat on full blast now that it's only 20-30* F.... does this indicate a problem? I know how cooling systems are supposed to work, but the temp should rise back to normal operating temps eventually
Old 01-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Upper coolant hose flattens out like a pancake after turning off engine...?

Also, the cabin doesn't smell like coolant and there's no visible leaks inside the cabin or underneath the car that would suggest a leaky heater core
Old 01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Upper coolant hose flattens out like a pancake after turning off engine...?

20-30* outside? Mine never gets all the way up to operating temps either when it's below freezing and I have the heater running. Tends to stay between 150-160.

I've always thought that was normal.

Not sure about your hose though... it may be just worn out.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamadrumr88
I replaced the headgasket, water pump, thermostat, timing belt and some other goodies on my '95 DX Auto a few months back and it runs like new. I'm still averaging 33mpg city and about 37mpg on the highway so it's still in good shape mechanically even though it's well past the 150k mile mark.

The other day I opened the hood (after having driven it about an hour before that) and noticed that the upper coolant hose (between the radiator and head) flattens out like a pancake. I've noticed that this happens every time I allow the car to completely cool down after driving it.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and what I can do to fix it?

** Also, I know that the coolant temp gauge drops occasionally after putting the heater on full blast but it seems to stay below the normal operating temp when I put the heat on full blast now that it's only 20-30* F.... does this indicate a problem? I know how cooling systems are supposed to work, but the temp should rise back to normal operating temps eventually
easy fix just change ur radiator cap the reason is doing that is because is not holding pressure anymore the seal on the radiator cap worn out and one way to diagnose if something leaking coolant in ur car, like heater core is turn on the heater when the heater is on and if it fog inside the car there's a leak inside somewhere goodluck
Old 01-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and it might just be a worn hose.

might wanna replace that too just cuz.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wangkata
Easy fix, just change you're radiator cap.
Yes, change the rad cap and the problem will be fixed. As your engine heats up, the coolant expands and at 1.1 BAR (or whatever it says on the rad cap) the rad cap will vent excess pressure into the overflow container. Now on the flip side, as your engine cools. the rad cap also has a feature where if exposed to a vacuum it will pull in coolant from the overflow container. So when the rad cap fails it wo'nt allow the coolant to come back into the engine while it's cooling.

Last edited by 97twodoor; 01-29-2010 at 09:06 AM.