Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (1 Brand? Or Mixable?)

Old 07-09-2006, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (1 Brand? Or Mixable?)

I'm planning on upgrading my Valves and to Dual Valve Springs and was wondering if it's only recommended to stick with one Brand the whole way across or is it okay to mix and match?

For Ex. Crower Valves w/ Supertech Dual Valves Springs and Ti-Retainers
Or Supertech Valves w/ Supertech Dual Valves Springs and Ti-Retainers

and vice versa
Old 07-09-2006, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (fms1day)

Youll be fine mix and matching provided you know your using a good match. Some companys recommend using a certain type of thing with there product. Your springs really depend on what type of cam your going to run. Go with what they say.

My personal opinion, go with Supertech Valves there really nice.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (Luserkid)

I'm certainly trying to build a d16z6 for boost with a goal of <230whp, possibly more, and was looking at sticking with OEM cams. Should I then just stick with OEM valve springs?
Old 07-10-2006, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you would be running to much of a valve spring foir a stock cam. Valves might not open enough.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (EastCoastEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EastCoastEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you would be running to much of a valve spring foir a stock cam. Valves might not open enough.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh really? What would be some good cams for a turbo d-series..?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM

If your only looking for 230whp out of it then just keep your stock cam and valvetrain, it will save you a lot of cash. You can get that much whp pretty easy and still be reliable if you build the bottom end.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (R1Motorsports.com)

well the thing is the head has bent valves so I decided to upgrade while I'm at it.. Now if I upgrade the valvetrain and not the cams... will that result in some negative performance?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:15 AM

How many are bent? If its only 1 or 2, just get some stock valves to replace them and you'll be good. If its most of the valves, you could replace all the valves and still run the stock cam, springs and retainers. That wouldn't hurt a thing.

If a lot of the valves are bent, I'd look into getting another Z6 head. They usually run 100-150 for one in good shape. I've seen them as cheap as 80 on a local forum. That would save you some cash since all you really need is a good OEM head and cam setup.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:52 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R1Motorsports.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How many are bent? If its only 1 or 2, just get some stock valves to replace them and you'll be good. If its most of the valves, you could replace all the valves and still run the stock cam, springs and retainers. That wouldn't hurt a thing.

If a lot of the valves are bent, I'd look into getting another Z6 head. They usually run 100-150 for one in good shape. I've seen them as cheap as 80 on a local forum. That would save you some cash since all you really need is a good OEM head and cam setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was two exhaust and two intake valves... However once I removed the rocker assembly and cams... All the valves closed I then checked one side (exhaust or intake) up to 7 valves and they all looked the same... However there were 2 bent.. And it was too hard to tell...

So I'm wondering if bent valves are visually noticable when you take the valve out.

EDIT: Well my SuperTech Valves came in today. Planning to get the head port and polished.. Just need a final opinion on whether or not I should continue to upgrade the head (ex. cams and valve springs/retainers) or should I be okay with stock springs and cams with supertech valves.

Modified by fms1day at 1:25 PM 7/11/2006
Old 07-11-2006, 01:29 PM

BUMP with new question

I'm going to do a 3 angle valve job on my head soon and the shop asked to bring new "valve stem seals"? I was wondering if this is something I can get at a local auto store or a local honda dealership.. If I can get it at a local honda dealership, does anyone know the part number? This is for a d16z6 motor.

NOTE: I only found "valve seats" at the hondaautomotiveparts.com site.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fms1day &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">BUMP with new question

I'm going to do a 3 angle valve job on my head soon and the shop asked to bring new "valve stem seals"? I was wondering if this is something I can get at a local auto store or a local honda dealership.. If I can get it at a local honda dealership, does anyone know the part number? This is for a d16z6 motor.

NOTE: I only found "valve seats" at the hondaautomotiveparts.com site.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> Valve Seats = Valve Stem Seals. </FONT>
Old 07-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Upgrading Valves and Valves Springs (CA6VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CA6VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> Valve Seats = Valve Stem Seals. </FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

ACtually no.... I just searched more thoroughly on slhondaparts.com and the stem seals were located under cylinder head and not under valves-rocker arms. They are different.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:49 AM

The valve seals are the same thing as the valve stem seals and they do go under the spring and retainer, above the valve guide. Just buy a upper and lower OEM gasket set and they will come with the gaskets.

You will be fine running the stock springs and cam with the new valves. Unless your planning on pushing the car past the 230whp level you mentioned before you won't even really need head porting, save your money and just get the valve job.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:29 AM

well if you were gonna get a cam then zex and crower would be your best bet