Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Upgrading my ECU, but what next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading my ECU, but what next?

Im kind of new here, so I apologize if this is a noobish style thread... I'm somewhat new to the world of upgrading an engine and I am currently interested in building my D16y8 without using turbo (for now) and so far I'm at the stage of just doing the bolt-ons (I/H/E). So far I've managed to install an intake (Password JDM carbon fibor intake) which probably seems ALOT more than necessary. And a catback exhaust BUT I still have a stock header. Right now I'm waiting on receiving a DC stainless steel 2 piece headers and was interested in upgrading my ECU. I have very little education on what ECU to get for my D16y8 and was wondering what were my options for the time being.

I know that I don't have much to gain at this point since I haven't messed with the Pistons and basically the overall engine..but maybe someone can shine a light of what I can get with the ECU at least? I know it depends what you want and all...but what's good for the time being..if there is a certain setting maybe? Help.

Just as an addition, I know people ask "What do you want out of your engine?"....My response is "Make simple power" I guess?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:08 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Upgrading my ECU, but what next?

Before you go diving into the tuning options, where you do live? If you're anywhere that requires a plug-in scan for inspection (all of California, as well as most major cities and surrounding areas), just stop right now. Every enhancement option will make you fail that, period.

If that checks out, you have two options. Option A is a socketted and chipped ECU. Option B is a stand-alone tuning system. Which one is right for you ultimately comes down to goals and budget. I can say right now, you'd be fine with option A.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I live in Wisconsin.... So no issues on the whole carbon thing and the only problem have to worry about is winter, which is finally turning to spring. So chipped ECU is my option on that, what type of ECU is good if you dont mind me asking..? P28? and I've heard of "Chrome" in terms of chipped ECU.

By budget isn't too stiff. Although I wouldn't dig as deep in pocket as those to pay for their K24 and start taring up shi**.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless your adding a turbo or going dohc i wouldnt mess with you ecu to much. You will spend more money trying to get nice power outta that sohc n/a than its worth. Just start putting together a dohc swap or turbo setup. Jmho
Old 04-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was thinking of doing that with a B18c from scratch. So even changing the ECU would be worthless for the D16 right now?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

It wouldn't be worthless at all. From the factory, our cars are "tuned" for fuel efficiency and longevity - a chipped and tuned ECU, even on a completely stock car, will still get you more power across the band. There are two ways you can go about tuning your car as it is.

Option 1 involves all the necessary hardware, plus $300-$500 for a professional to tune your car on a dyno. Since you're running basic bolt-ons right now, it should be a quick and painless, it'll just cost you a small chunk of change.

Option 2 involves all the necessary hardware, and your willingness to learn. A lot. You'll need a socketted ECU, a quality wideband O2 sensor, a laptop, and a Moates Ostrich (or similar). You'll want to do a lot of reading and learning on how to tune a motor, and then dive in. With your laptop and Ostrich, you'll be able to datalog and tune the car yourself on the road (or even in your parking lot), and you'll need the wideband O2 sensor to make sure your engine is running at safe AFRs.

The plus side of option 2, other than saving a couple hundred bucks, is when it comes time for you to get another motor, or boost, or build, or whatever you end up doing, you'll be able to tune it yourself, saving yourself more money in the long run. Also, a basic bolt-on D16 is quite possibly the best platform for learning how to tune AFRs, ignition timing, and all the other fun stuff that goes into making a car go faster.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep, these guys are all over it- don't waste any more on sohc- takes a few bank loans to make any power- start w/dohc. Way more potential in long run
Old 04-12-2013, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I asked pretty much the same question... I have a d16y8 and wanted some advice on what i could do. All you'll get from these guys is " sohc isn't worth anything" "go dohc" "bolt ons dont do ****" you're better off doing the research yourself apparently no one on a ek thread does anything but turbo or swap

according to these guys just throw your d16 in the trash.
its ******* frustrating! I'm not trying to put mine on the track. I'm just trying to play around with my DD. This site sux for guys trying to learn
Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saintsfan256
I asked pretty much the same question... I have a d16y8 and wanted some advice on what i could do. All you'll get from these guys is " sohc isn't worth anything" "go dohc" "bolt ons dont do ****" you're better off doing the research yourself apparently no one on a ek thread does anything but turbo or swap

its ******* frustrating! I'm not trying to put mine on the track. I'm just trying to play around with my DD. This site sux for guys trying to learn
if you dont like it you can leave any time. quit your bitching.

do you know how many times in the 10+ years this site has been around that that exact "what intake/header/exhaust should i get?" question has been asked?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Sounds like you got some good advice.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say the best option for OP would be to just get a standred basemap chip for his Y8 with bolt on's. The other's that have ben listed are great especialy if you are planning to go all out or beyond bolt on's. but the money spent trying to build a N/A d will leave you dissapointed with the end result as said many times on H-T.

saintsfan you got good advice....
Old 04-12-2013, 02:52 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a link in my signature that's been there for quite sometime that would have answered every friggin question you people have/are asking.

With all due respect what makes ME mad is that people put together a cache of info like this and new people refuse to read it and then have the nerve to get frustrated because no one wants to ask the same question that's been asked for the one-millionth time.

If people are telling you that D-series are WORTHLESS in their naturally aspirated form then you can take that to the bank. If you don't have THOUSANDS to drop into one to barely make 150-160hp then IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!! IMO even a chipped and socketted OBD1 ECU on an engine with basic bolt-ons is a lesson in frustration. You don't make any real power to be noticeable. And if your butt-dyno says you are, you'll soon crave more and then what? Do you think people are saying this just to frustrate you? That they're sitting on info and not wanting to give it up? Preposterous. If you don't want to turbo it and you aren't boosting it then just move along because you're just wasting time. This aint the Fast and the Furious.

Last edited by grumblemarc; 04-12-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Are you kids not reading my posts? D series motors aren't completely worthless - they're a good learning platform, especially if OP wants to learn how to tune his own ****.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
The Grumpiest

Depends on what you're wanting to learn.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Take it to your local tuner.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Are you kids not reading my posts? D series motors aren't completely worthless - they're a good learning platform, especially if OP wants to learn how to tune his own ****.
- so what ecu/next upgrade are you recommending?
Op- how much do you want to spend on ecu? Do you want to use it in future for another engine/boost?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:11 PM
The Grumpiest

Let's dispel the myth the OP seems to have that simply plugging in another ECU will somehow gain him more power because I think that's part of the misconception he's having. It does not work that way.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
- so what ecu/next upgrade are you recommending?
Op- how much do you want to spend on ecu? Do you want to use it in future for another engine/boost?
I've already outlined the details in two long posts. I'm not doing it again. Read!

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Let's dispel the myth the OP seems to have that simply plugging in another ECU will somehow gain him more power because I think that's part of the misconception he's having. It does not work that way.
My posts already dispelled said myth.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can read just fine you said either a "chipped ecu" oem style or ostrich as stand-alone. I would be stupid to assume op "new to HT" knows what either of these mean?? He's new to this, he doesn't know where to look/which to buy, he's asking for direction. We know where/what you mean, but I'm sure he doesn't, don't take me asking you what you're recommending as being a smart/dumb ***.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
The Grumpiest

I'm recommending the OP read the link in my signature.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by S2BumpsticksGSR
I can read just fine you said either a "chipped ecu" oem style or ostrich as stand-alone. I would be stupid to assume op "new to HT" knows what either of these mean?? He's new to this, he doesn't know where to look/which to buy, he's asking for direction. We know where/what you mean, but I'm sure he doesn't, don't take me asking you what you're recommending as being a smart/dumb ***.
I'm recommending specific tuning options. Do you know anything about actual tuning? Have you ever done it? If I have to sit here and enumerate exactly what the OP needs to do, then he isn't the kind of guy who is capable of doing it himself and needs to go to a professional. I already told OP he needs to search and learn. I even gave him keywords so he knew where to start. You seem to be the only person not getting it at this point.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude, back off- the guy wants a recommend, not mind-blowing explanations of how tuning works. Save the insults for the guy in the mirror. And, yes, I do know a handfull of tuning on my S300. Got it?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:43 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

"Back off"? You're the one trying to get information spoon fed to you. That's not what we do here. I'm also not insulting anyone, but if you'd like me to start, I can point out my doubt in your "tuning" purely based on your complete lack of abilities with the English language.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yawn- you doubt others because you doubt yourself. Wrong again- A+ in English all my life. Spoonfed what, Almighty One?
Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you aren't going to be helpful to anyone, get out. I'm not going to sit here and point out every mistake you've already made. The OP asked a question, I very specifically answered that question, with multiple options for the OP to take. You've given nothing beneficial.

Quick Reply: Upgrading my ECU, but what next?